• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A thread about truckers

Brangus

Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive. No references to lawyers allowed.

20080531-mjei9rg85hc1gpq4mram9n26xh.jpg

Hell yeah! This is my kind of thread. No offense to the Bulldog, but I prefer Freightliners over Macks, especially in over the road models.

Has anyone ever driven one? Always wanted to.

I know that there aren't many truckers on the board, but Wake is a breeding ground, so let's discuss. I've been driving a truck for many years and you name it, I've hauled it to all the biggest 20 cities. I have done well but increasingly recognize that the reward for being a solid driver is always more work, it never ends and leaves most that I know either underemployed or always hoping or looking to find an alternative profession. Yet society still views truck drivers and construction workers as positions to be strived for from early days forward? Kids are told that these are positions to strive for in society. Odd. My view is that the practice of driving a big rig is shrinking and clients are becoming more demanding (as they should be) every year, making the driving more challenging and time-consuming no matter what the size of your truck or route may be. What do others think about truck driving at this point? Surely there are solid rewards for those who work hard and have support for large supply companies, but that pool seems to be shrinking every year and the work and realization issues are palpable. Giant pain in the ass, if you ask me. thoughts?

If there was a way to just show up and get a license, without all the classes and money, Id be a long-haul driver for a couple months. It would be an awesome life adventure.

Also Truckin' is a top five road trip jam.

threads where upper middle class white people talk about wanting to dabble in jobs poor people are left to do

Has anyone ever driven one? Always wanted to.

Yes. Just for about five miles on a lonely stretch of highway. It wasn't all that hard. Lane changing was spooky but there was no traffic. Gear throw was long as was the clutch, but it was an old Peterbuilt so who knows how accurate the experience was in modern terms. Lots of switches and gauges...felt a little more like a cockpit of a large plane.

It was pulling a full load of dirt from a borrow pit. I've heard driving one with no trailer attached is a little more fun.

It was a simple one...driver's side looked a lot like this.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
My GF's degenerate step dad used to be a truck driver before he started collecting disability. Apparently, he used to let her and her sister drive the truck when they were in middle school while he was stoned or hungover.

When I worked for the moving company I drove a 26' moving truck everyday but it was an automatic. I can't imagine driving a big rig as a career. It's just a totally different lifestyle.

my father has never had a driver license but he hitch-hiked across the country in the 70s and an 18-wheeler stopped for him. driver had just had some teeth pulled with no anesthesia and wanted to take some pain killers (booze probably) and pass out for a while, so my dad drove the big truck. I can't imagine that being the entry point to driving.

Just saw the impetus for this thread on the lawyers thread, and I'm pretty happy about it.

Long haul drivers make bank if they are serious drivers. I had a driver that mostly lived out of his truck. He had a room he could crash in at his sister's place when/if he was back in town. He had a decent car that was paid off. He was on the road most of the time. No wife or kids. Pulling in $70,000 a year. Dude would go to Costa Rica for a month each year and blow his wad on hookers, healthcare, and dental work. Poor fella looked like Bozo the clown though.

Back