• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A wet dream for conservatives

Government school students starting another day of scholarly achievement:

images

Imagine people being able to protect their paychecks from the taxman and "fund" the education of their children in decent schools no matter where they live.

http://www.harlemacademy.org/

So you're against government spending, but you like charters like Harlem Academy which take a ton of subsidies at the local government level. Interesting, DODO.

Harlem Academy is a great feel good story.

The problem is that you would need thousands of them in NYS alone.

Private schools here in Greensboro are generally expensive as hell. We have our kid at NGFS for pre-K and the K was about $13K. Our public school is great. No brainer.

Last edited:
There are private schools for every pocketbook. Why do you have your kid at a 13k pre-k if it is not worth 13k? If your government school happens to be great, then great: send your kid there, just don't force me to pay for it.

The pre-K wasn't $13K.

I have yet to see the private school choices in Greensboro that are for every pocketbook. They are all expensive as hell.

Basic education by far benefits the public good. Therefore it is a reasonable expenditure of public funds and a realistic cost of living in a society.

Then pay the true cost of your children's education and do not be a burden on other people who would like to do the same.

Then pay the true cost of your children's education and do not be a burden on other people who would like to do the same.

Nah, I will just utilize the public school system. The same one my taxes paid for when I didn't have any children and the same one I will continue paying for once my kids have graduated from school. It's part of living in a society and I accepted it when I didn't have children and I accept it now that I benefit from it.

Last edited:
The big problem with public education is that it's being run by the competition. No operation is going to succeed when it's run by people who want it to fail. You can't expect home schoolers and private school advocates to do what is in the best interest for public education.

People like DODO want children to be subject to the whims of the rich. They want access to education to be optional based on the extent to which the rich want to see the poor educated. Once the masses start learning too much and threaten to rise up the ladder (or they need a new Cadillac), they can yank funding away and leave the kids high and try.

Last edited:
Nah, I will just utilize the public school system. The same one my taxes paid for when I didn't have any children and the same one I will continue paying for once my kids have graduated from school. It's part of living in a society and I accepted it when I didn't have children and I accept it now that I benefit from it.

You are a burden to many people who have never had children in the Greensboro government schools but are forced to pay for them. Some of these people live in an area with terrible, violence riddled government schools and are forced to send their kids to private schools while also being forced to pay for government schools in the more affluent areas. You should take care of your family without harming other citizens.

The big problem with public education is that it's being run by the competition. No operation is going to succeed when it's run by people who want it to fail. You can't expect home schoolers and private school advocates to do what is in the best interest for public education.

People like DODO want children to be subject to the whims of the rich. They want access to education to be optional based on the extent to which the rich want to see the poor educated. Once the masses start learning too much and threaten to rise up the ladder (or they need a new Cadillac), they can yank funding away and leave the kids high and try.

Honest question or maybe I'm misreading your first paragraph - how is public education being run by home schoolers and private school advocates?

dreamon, It's called living in a society. Your world view is for a 10th century agrarian world.

Honest question or maybe I'm misreading your first paragraph - how is public education being run by home schoolers and private school advocates?

Public education is run by state legislatures.

You are a burden to many people who have never had children in the Greensboro government schools but are forced to pay for them. Some of these people live in an area with terrible, violence riddled government schools and are forced to send their kids to private schools while also being forced to pay for government schools in the more affluent areas. You should take care of your family without harming other citizens.

This is mind boggling to me.

Yes, Greensboro is just loaded with people who pay alot of taxes and live in terrible school districts. Seriously, dude, why don't you just move to some Caribbean banana republic so that you don't have to burden yourself with all of the inequities that are part and parcel with living in a large society, because you are bound to drive yourself crazy with your "every man is an island" political philosophy while living in a large metropolitan area.

Or you can go Randy Weaver on us and move to Montana.

Last edited:
I am just pointing out that voluntary private schooling is preferable to forced government schooling for many reasons, one of them being that people operating private schools don't stick guns in anyone's face. Another one is that government schools do a poor job of educating. Even on dumbed-down government tests, students in government schools score poorly, especially those students that, acording to Ph, the "rich" are afraid of:

http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/stateDetails.jsp?Page=1&pYear=2010-2011

There is no reason to start personal attacks.

Back