• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Aaron Judge - New HR Champ

Ohtani skills are seldom seen. He is not unique, nor the best to combine pitching and hitting. That distinction would belong to George Herman Ruth. That ability is what makes Babe the greatest player of all time.

The fact that Ohtani can pitch and hit at an all star level probably makes him the best player in the game today.

Babe didn’t have to play against anybody but white American guys. Ohtani is taking on the best in the world.

If the only person to do what he can do played literally 100 years ago then I think that qualifies him as unique.

Or even our own Alondes Williams. I guess deacspop would have just given POY to some guy on dook though. Have to factor in all the history right?
As you note, Alondes won the Player of the Year, not the Most Valuable Player. Those words are different and mean different things. Which is the entire point.

LOL. It's not like the ACC has a POY and an MVP.

The best player is necessarily the most valuable player. This isn’t hard or complex. We can literally measure players by wins in baseball (and btw, Judge was best and most valuable player this year. Ohtani had a great year and is MVP most years, but Judge had an all time great offensive season).

I looked this up the other day - going off memory here - but the only better offensive seasons in MLB history are multiple Ruth, Bonds and Williams seasons, and some one-off seasons from Gehrig, Hornsby, Cobb and Mantle

It's almost like baseball consists of more than just hitting...

The best player is necessarily the most valuable player. This isn’t hard or complex. We can literally measure players by wins in baseball (and btw, Judge was best and most valuable player this year. Ohtani had a great year and is MVP most years, but Judge had an all time great offensive season).
No, he isn't. Sports, and baseball in particular, have plenty of examples where the best player is on a shitty team in a particular year. Mike Trout would have significantly more MVPs if it was the Best Player Award.

Hence why there are the Cy Young award and Golden Glove awards.

Give Judge a Sliver Slugger award then.

Look we all know, as evidence by ESPN jamming it down our unwilling throats, that the media is going to gift Judge the MVP this year. And most non-Yankee fanbois know who should actually win the award instead.

This thread is like the greatest hits of old dudes being old dudes. Just guys hanging out talking about how good Babe Ruth is.

Man I can’t believe Judge just came out and said it

If the dig on Ohtani is "Babe Ruth did it better" then that says a lot about his value.

And whether you think the award should go to the best player or the one who generates the most "value" or however you want to split hairs around the semantics, here's a hypothetical to consider. You're building a brand new team and have your choice of any one player. Based on their 2022 stats alone are you taking Ohtani or Judge first?

I'm also not buying that, historically, you get some kind of bonus points for being on a good team. Generally speaking, there's a correlation between players putting up MVP numbers being on good teams because good teams have good players. If part of the rational for saying Ohtani did not have an MVP-worthy season is that the Angels suck, then should the following guys have won MVP?

2003 ARod, Rangers, 71-91 (7th worst record in baseball)
2008 Pujols, Cards 86-76 (no playoffs, 4th in division)
2015 Harper, Nats 83-79 (no playoffs)
2016 Trout, Angels 74-88
2017 Stanton, Marlins 77-85
2019 Trout, Angels 72-90
2021 Ohtani, Angels 77-85

And if hitting dingers is the only thing that counts then Sosa shouldn't have won NL MVP in 98 over McGwire.

Please, now that's total nonsense. Ohtani was 39th in MLB in batting average, Judge was 5th. In the entire MLB he was 18th in RBIs. Judge was first. Lets penalize Judge cause he doesn't pitch.
Only hard issue here is anyone thinking the AL MVP shouldn't be Aaron Judge.
imagine still pointing to batting average and rbis to debate player value in the year of our lord two thousand twenty two

I mean, an Ohtani-less Angels probably loses 100 games, and his relative individual impact on the team is absolutely greater than Judge's has been to the Yankees this year, but sure, hold the Angels' shit front office against him when handing out the MVP, I guess.

just so much dumb logic from people you'd absolutely expect to contribute dumb logic

imagine still pointing to batting average and rbis to debate player value in the year of our lord two thousand twenty two
It's the same kind of thinking that was used by people to argue that deGrom didn't deserve the 18 and 19 Cy Youngs because he only won 10 and 11 games, respectively, during those seasons.

Pop looking at Cliff Lee’s 2012 10 inning scoreless L like…if he wants to win awards…needs to be picking up that W

Back