• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Basketball Media Day (Wake picked 13th)

By depth he means that our best player isn't that much better than our 11th best player. Our team is deeply mediocre.

By depth he means that our best player isn't that much better than our 11th best player. Our team is deeply mediocre.

So much this. If you are playing 11 guys every game and every one of them is a "captain" then you don't have a very good team.

BWuLAiSIAAAgf-Q.jpg

Media: Codi, what is that picture that you've drawn on the board for us?

Codi: It's a picture of my dick head coach!

@DavidGlennShow
[Redacted]: I have two responsibilities--to win and to uphold the integrity of the university.

@DavidGlennShow
[Redacted]: we're building this team to run. We gotta get easy baskets. It's a fun way to play.

@DavidGlennShow
[Redacted]: needed a coach to fill in a practice game. had Rusty and Randolph, I said "we're going with Randolph. Rusty I heard you don't pass"

@DavidGlennShow
[Redacted]: told Randolph to try to run the offense. 3 minutes in he took an ill-advised shot. He said "coach, I was open!"

This is so stupid.

It sounds like an intgernational pro and former All American can still play.

@DavidGlennShow
[Redacted]: I have two responsibilities--to win and to uphold the integrity of the university.

@DavidGlennShow
[Redacted]: we're building this team to run. We gotta get easy baskets. It's a fun way to play.

@DavidGlennShow
[Redacted]: needed a coach to fill in a practice game. had Rusty and Randolph, I said "we're going with Randolph. Rusty I heard you don't pass"

@DavidGlennShow
[Redacted]: told Randolph to try to run the offense. 3 minutes in he took an ill-advised shot. He said "coach, I was open!"

This is so stupid.

The instructional time spent on Chill's game will pay dividends down the road.

http://rushthecourt.net/2013/10/17/...len-elmore-mike-gminski-bret-strelow-part-ii/

RTC: Hot seat talk in the preseason is often a bit overblown, but who are coaches in the league that are certainly under pressure to win now?

Elmore: When you look at Wake Forest with Jeff [Redacted], that is going to be an issue right there. I think this is going to be a make-or-break year for him. Part of the fan base wants [Redacted] gone, another part wants athletic director Ron Wellman gone, and some others want both gone. Unfortunately, Jeff [Redacted] is definitely on the hot seat. I say unfortunately because [Redacted] is a solid teacher, he does well imparting the fundamentals, and has done a good job with some of the offseason stuff with some players over the last few seasons. I think when you look at Mark Gottfried at NC State, he is also a guy who has something to prove. He had some tremendous talent last season and the team just fizzled out. Beyond [Redacted] and Gottfried, you look at James Johnson at Virginia Tech and he just started, so he is going to be given a bit of a long leash. Brad Brownell does a great job with his guys at Clemson, but he has to get some players in there. Miami is going to be down this year with all its departures from last season, but no one can argue with Jim Larranaga and what he has been able to do with that program. I think when it comes down to it and you are looking at two guys who are going to feel some discomfort, they are going to be Jeff [Redacted] and Mark Gottfried.

Gminski: I would think Jeff [Redacted] at Wake Forest is squarely on the hot seat. He has been there since the start of last season and that pressure continues to mount. Other than [Redacted], I am not sure if anyone can be considered to be on a hot seat. James Johnson is only in his second season at Virginia Tech, so he will get more time. Brad Brownell might be facing a little pressure down at Clemson, but I would not consider him to be on a hot seat. I think other than [Redacted], every other coach in the conference seems to be in pretty solid shape.

Strelow: I think it always starts with Jeff [Redacted] and Wake Forest. The fan base there is very unhappy with both [Redacted] and athletic director Ron Wellman. The team did show signs of life at different points last season with home upsets over Virginia, NC State, and Miami. Last season, veterans C.J. Harris and Travis McKie led the way for them. Freshmen Codi Miller-McIntyre and Devin Thomas also showed they were capable of playing at a high level. Harris is gone this season, but the other three are back and it feels like this is the first team made up of all guys that [Redacted] recruited. If things do not go well this season, the pressure is only going to intensify for [Redacted] and Wellman. Things could get ugly there if the team does not get off to a good start.

Brad Brownell at Clemson is another guy that I think could be feeling a bit of heat. I think everyone respects him as an in-game coach and a stand-up guy, but it is in recruiting where he has struggled a little bit. When you look at Clemson’s roster, it is not stocked with a ton of talent. In some order, Clemson and Virginia Tech will probably be picked to finish last and second-to-last in the league. I think patience might be growing thin at Clemson, but at the same time I am not sure if it has been knifing at them or not. I do not know how rabid the basketball fan base is there to get too worked up over the struggles. Brownell and Clemson certainly have an uphill climb this season. The cupboard is a little bare there right now.

It sounds like an intgernational pro and former All American can still play.

When the team gets together, Rusty is hands down the best shooter in the gym today ... period. And yes, that does include Chill. Rusty can shoot 3's with his left better than many can shoot with their dominant hand.

Childress was a scorer. Rusty was a shooter, a career 43% shooter from deep, 46% as a senior.

I heard the entire interview and it might be the worst I have ever heard from a coach. Simple questions thrown out to him and he could not even express what his thoughts were in relation to his team. I can not imagine him in a tight game in a time-out needing a pressure stop or a potential win. I have never bashed Buzz because I make a point not to say anything negative here on the Wake boards about your program, but that was pitiful. How about him talking about how fun this team was last year, "we scored in the 80's like five times" WTF sort of stupid answer is that??? There were the other big 3 NC teams that almost averaged 80 points a game. That moron is TERRIBLE.

I just opened this thread and saw the headset for the first time. Talk about spit-out-your-coffee hilarious! We have such a fuckin' tool for a coach!

Yeah the biggest thing is that GMc plays the position at which we need the least help. We have plenty of SFs. If he was a SG or a decent C it would be a different story, but playing him this season is a waste.

This. I still believe that the staff should have intervened on this one... I don't care whether it's Ty refusing to redshirt because he's an idiot or Greg because he's a warrior: we need as much from our personnel as possible. Playing a freshman coming off of an ACL tear, known as an athlete without much in the way of perimeter scoring ability, is a huge mistake, IMO.

Honestly, what is Greg going to give us that we don't already have in abundance this year? Is that worth more than potentially stunting his development, either via throwing him into the fire too soon or risking re-injury DG-style?

woody -

Honest question....why not ?

Also, HONDO: Devin just isn't a center. If I'm the coach, then I don't want a guy who can give you offense out of the high post, spot-up inside of the arc, and with a fairly advanced post up game to be stuck in the post, exclusively. Likewise, I don't want him banging around with centers for 20-25 minutes per game. Additionally and looking forward, he's just not big enough. If you want to maximize his chances of earning money professionally, then you let him learn how to play power forward.

The issue is that [Redacted] couldn't recruit a center for 2013, Dre is living up to his 2-star ranking, and Daniel Green is going to miss another season.

It has nothing to do with Devin. Devin was recruited as a power forward, played at his best as a power forward, and has an ideal skill set/athletic profile for a power forward.

I'll throw one back at you:

Why do you want Devin to play center when it's clear that he could be utilized better elsewhere.

Last edited:
A question without using a question mark. Bold strategy, Cotton.

Back