• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Redrawing Divisions (Reporter tweets about internal e-mails)

WakeForestRanger

Reaction score
According to the Clemson AD,

2h

@LarryWilliamsTI
Clemson AD says ACC in early stages of exploring changes to divisional structure.

That'll open up a can of worms.
-------------------------------------

Looks like these things are serious and not wishful thinking by the Clemson AD:

https://twitter.com/fineout

Gary Fineout ‏@fineout 1h
NC State AD Yow called for a discussion bc "I doubt we could come to any conclusions earlier by phone, given the significance" of item

End of FSU-Miami every year? Syracuse AD notes there are "obvious playing partners" but said it better for ACC to eliminate them

NC State AD told other ACC athletic directors they would have a "full vetting" of restructuring in January

Syracuse AD emailed ACC directors in Nov. lamenting current structure and said it minimized chance for teams to play in major media markets

Internal emails show Atlantic Coast Conf. athletic directors plan to discuss changing football schedules & potentially amend ACC divisions

Last edited:
Just want all the Big Four together. I'd be fine if it was with FSU, Clemson, and Tech as the ACC South. But UVA with the Big Least.

So do you think it'll be a minor tweak like making Louisville VT's cross divisional rival and switching Miami and FSU in the divisions? Or a major one like North/South with Miami in the North?

Ah, THIS is what's holding Lembo up.

Bet Clemson and Florida State end up in opposite divisions....would love it if one division is the Big 4, UVA, Clemson, and GT

Yep..could be as simple as swapping Clemson with a coastal team..maybe GT?

Clemson and FSU will definitely be in different divisions. The current alignment was drawn up to set up FSU-Miami championship games. Obviously that hasn't happened, and now that FSU and Clemson are the clear cut elite programs in the conference it's probably best to redo it.

We will be huge beneficiaries of that change. One more reason to say yes, Coach Lembo!

The worst thing to do would be to organize around the current state of the programs.

The worst thing to do would be to organize around the current state of the programs.

Exactly. People do not get this. The status of "stronger division" is cyclical.

It's also why we were stuck with the fake basketball "rivalry" of Duke-Maryland based on 2-3 good years for the Terps. The ACC has made this mistake before.

I'm not saying I think it will be good practice to organize based on current strength. I'm saying they have done it before and they are going to do it again.

Would be funny if they did, with the assumption that Duke was now the Coastal power.

We sure did enjoy a run of being assigned the worst cross-divisional team. Guess that's over.

Wish you didn't need divisions to have a conf championship game. Everyone in the conference could play each other a lot more frequently, then just have the two best teams face off against each other in the CG.

Probably not good for Wake, but would make it feel like a more legitimate conference -- especially when unlike basically every other league there's no real way to do it geographically

that would leave us with a 6 team division and an 8 team division

unless you are including GT in old ACC

I would imagine so. And that would at least keep FSU and Miami in separate divisions, which was so important when first going to the division format. Of course, that would put Miami (and perhaps Louisville) at a travel disadvantage, particularly for non-revenue sports.

Back