• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Redrawing Divisions (Reporter tweets about internal e-mails)

To me it's not so much about the Big 4 it's that we have an opportunity to put the 6 original ACC schools together plus GT (the next oldest member) in one division and the 7 newer schools in another division which keeps a lot of traditional rivalries in place (not just big 4 but also Clemson-GT, FSU-Miami, Pitt-Syracuse) while also having pretty good competitive balance:

Atlantic:
Clemson
Duke
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Virginia
Wake Forest

Coastal:
Boston College
Florida State
Louisville
Miami
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia Tech

The only real drawback I see is the travel for the Florida schools. I think it would really keep up (and maybe spike fan interest)....

Best Proposal I've seen

There'd be huge complaints from the Coastal teams in regard to equality for football

There'd be huge complaints from the Coastal teams in regard to equality for football

Flip Louisville and Virginia and that solves most of that plus preserves VT-UVA rivalry within the division. Also, I'm far from convinced that you can chalk VT up as a team that you can expect to be good every year once Beamer retires. They've been mediocre the last couple of years with Beamer.

Swap virginia for FSU.

Clemson/FSU together is only issue. North/south except Miami. Old acc/new acc except UVA

For good reason or bad, Clemson & FSU together is not happening especially after this past Saturday night in Charlotte. Instead of flipping Louisville with Virginia you could flip Miami w/ Virginia and then end up with a Florida school in each division.

For good reason or bad, Clemson & FSU together is not happening especially after this past Saturday night in Charlotte. Instead of flipping Louisville with Virginia you could flip Miami w/ Virginia and then end up with a Florida school in each division.

I agree but the ACC should be careful with this. Clemson lost to FSU 51-14 and Duke lost to them 45-7.

Is us getting spanked in Tallahassee every other year (with a couple recent exceptions) and a road trip to Miami every handful of years really that big of a boon to recruiting?

this is the kind of news Chrispy on the other board masturbates to

I vote for Atlantic = old ACC, Coastal = Big East.

What's funny about this is that I bet most old school ACC fans would be in favor of this and most of the Big East school fans would not.

Is us getting spanked in Tallahassee every other year (with a couple recent exceptions) and a road trip to Miami every handful of years really that big of a boon to recruiting?

I'm curious about this myself. Wouldn't be too hard to figure out. Just would take some time to put together the data.

Clemson is just belly aching as they know for the foreseeable future, they can never get to ACC Champ game as they can't get by F$U. By calling for realignment, they'll try to get it done like that. They probably also don't like Louisville being added to their side making their patsy schedule harder.

What's funny about this is that I bet most old school ACC fans would be in favor of this and most of the Big East school fans would not.

Why not the Big East fans? I would think more regional rivalry games would benefit both, and increase TV ratings.

I think playing in FL is less important than being on TV in FL. Obviously, playing a FL team helps that, but could a deal get worked out where FL gets other ACC games?

It is. Recruits want to play in their home state. It's not so much the visibility we have during the recruiting process as much as the guarantee they'll get to play in state once they're in school

Wake will likely have to fall on our sword and head to a more northern division no matter what, but if you go geographically I would swap Virginia and Clemson to split the divisions up a little better. Under this idea here's how the divisions would split up:

NORTH:
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Clemson

SOUTH:
Virginia
North Carolina
NC State
Duke
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami

It is. Recruits want to play in their home state. It's not so much the visibility we have during the recruiting process as much as the guarantee they'll get to play in state once they're in school

I guess but playing in Tallahassee doesn't mean much to a kid from Miami.

Wake will likely have to fall on our sword and head to a more northern division no matter what, but if you go geographically I would swap Virginia and Clemson to split the divisions up a little better. Under this idea here's how the divisions would split up:

NORTH:
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Clemson

SOUTH:
Virginia
North Carolina
NC State
Duke
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami

This is pretty much worst case scenario right here. Fucking awful.

Back