• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Tournament: #12 Wake vs #13 Notre Dame (Wed@1PM ESPN2)

Bottom four teams shouldn't even make the tournament. With the expanded ACC, the bottom four teams(will always be terrible with terrible records) and have no chance of winning 5 games in 5 days. That should be those teams punishment for not being competitive.

I actually agree with this. That would also help the ACC Tournament stay special. But it would also not sell tickets...and cut down on TV Revenue. And we all know that drives the NCAA and the ACC so it's unlikely to happen.

Bottom four teams shouldn't even make the tournament. With the expanded ACC, the bottom four teams(will always be terrible with terrible records) and have no chance of winning 5 games in 5 days. That should be those teams punishment for not being competitive.

Ummm....that would be us. We wouldn't have been in the ACCT since 2010.
#culture

Completely agree with this.

Honestly, I hate the idea of a conference tournament without every member in it. Hated it when the Big East did it, and would hate to see the ACC do it. I don't really have a reason for it, but there it is.
I do think the ACC is going to have to bite the bullet and sell tickets by the session, eventually. Would piss off the member institutions, but would put more asses in the seats.

As we approach gametime today, I'm having a feeling like we are going to get absolutely worked today by Notre Dame.

Like a double-digit, bring in the ND walk-ons with 2+ minutes to play, soul-crushing loss.

And the best part of it all will be the long, uncomfortable postgame press conference w/ [Redacted]... I doubt it can top last year's, but I have hope.

As we approach gametime today, I'm having a feeling like we are going to get absolutely worked today by Notre Dame.

Like a double-digit, bring in the ND walk-ons with 2+ minutes to play, soul-crushing loss.

ND is coming off back-to-back losses but they are arguably 2 of their 3 best performances of the year (taking Pitt to overtime and losing by only 2 to UNC in Chapel Hill).

The last time Notre Dame lost their opening round conference tournament game, [Redacted] was coaching his first year ---- at COLORADO ('08).

The only reason I want to win is so that Travis doesn't become the only Wake player since the ACC began not to have won a postseason game.

just because I need something to distract me, how is this possible? Under Staak and the first years of Odom we didn't win a game in the ACC tourney or go to the postseason. 6 straight years. Was there some 7th year senior on those teams who managed to win a postseason game? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_Forest_Demon_Deacons_men's_basketball

just because I need something to distract me, how is this possible? Under Staak and the first years of Odom we didn't win a game in the ACC tourney or go to the postseason. 6 straight years. Was there some 7th year senior on those teams who managed to win a postseason game? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_Forest_Demon_Deacons_men's_basketball

We won an ACC Tournament game in 1987 and an NCAA Tournament game in 1991. Anybody who was a freshman in 1988 and was there for four years won an NCAA game as a senior, anybody who wasn't still there for the 1991 game won the 1987 ACCT game.

Wake upset Clemson as the 7 seed in the 1987 tournament.

ETA: This makes it easier to comprehend when looking at it:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...f/2013-14/misc_non_event/1314-mbk-mg-sec5.pdf

Last edited:
So are we absolutely certain Bz is gone? I just want to know if it's OK to root for us today.

We won an ACC Tournament game in 1987 and an NCAA Tournament game in 1991. Anybody who was a freshman in 1988 and was there for four years won an NCAA game as a senior, anybody who wasn't still there for the 1991 game won the 1987 ACCT game.

Wake upset Clemson as the 7 seed in the 1987 tournament.

ETA: This makes it easier to comprehend when looking at it:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...f/2013-14/misc_non_event/1314-mbk-mg-sec5.pdf

cool, thanks.

It was kind of an easy stat to find actually (compared to how difficult I thought it would be to corroborate something along those lines) because I think Wake has only lost 4 or more consecutive ACCT games three times in ACC history. So then just had to cross-reference postseason appearances and wins.

And the best part of it all will be the long, uncomfortable postgame press conference w/ [Redacted]... I doubt it can top last year's, but I have hope.

That's how most of our ACC Tournament games have gone since 2007.

Hess is one of the refs today. Ugh. How many Wake games did Hess ref this year? Yeesh.

I'm not finding anything on this and the stupid ACC website, when I click on the Men's Basketball Championship link, it just says page missing. Not sure why I want to subject myself to this in any event.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/championship_m-baskbl

I'm not seeing "subject to black-out" on the Watch ESPN listing (which is there for some other tournament games), but the WF game is listed on the local program guide here w/ a non-espn affiliate. That usually signals I won't be able to stream through Watch ESPN, but I guess we'll see here in about 8 minutes.

Back