• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Tournament-Wake vs Syracuse

You get a kick out of a father taking his son to the ACC tournament and cheering on the team they support?

Again, the 200 vocal d bags on these boards do not come close to representing the masses of Wake fans that bleed black and gold, regardless of the state of our program

I guarantee I bleed black and gold as much as anyone, but why fly somewhere to watch us get our asses handed to us once again. Ok, a father and son going and getting that time together is awesome, I just wish that kid had the program to support that I did when I was that age. The Carl Tacy days, the Dave Odom days, a lot of the Prosser days, we had a solid program to be proud of. Even the Staak years, although bad, it was a matter of time until we became good to decent again. Right now, I'm not sure where the light at the end of the tunnel is. We've got an administration that seems just fine with bad basketball and hiring subpar coaches, until that changes 8 years could turn into 16 years and we'll be sitting here with the same garbage.

Again, the 200 vocal d bags on these boards do not come close to representing the masses of Wake fans that bleed black and gold, regardless of the state of our program

That's weird...because many of the most vocal currently, and those who were the most vocal in the past but have simply given up, are the same guys/gals I saw all over the damn place when following the Deacs up until the [name redacted] errror. The "fans" you're referring to are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. They are the same fans who think any criticism of anything Wake is bad. They supported [name redacted] until the day he was fired, often trotting out the "do you think you know more than XX does" argument as proof that they were in the right. Creamy, we're here for you. Break free from your captors. Bleeding black and gold is about loving Wake Forest, not making excuses for the multi-million dollar employees who run our programs into the ground.

That's weird...because many of the most vocal currently, and those who were the most vocal in the past but have simply given up, are the same guys/gals I saw all over the damn place when following the Deacs up until the [name redacted] errror. The "fans" you're referring to are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. They are the same fans who think any criticism of anything Wake is bad. They supported [name redacted] until the day he was fired, often trotting out the "do you think you know more than XX does" argument as proof that they were in the right. Creamy, we're here for you. Break free from your captors. Bleeding black and gold is about loving Wake Forest, not making excuses for the multi-million dollar employees who run our programs into the ground.

While I don't disagree with everything you said here, the bold isn't entirely accurate. There are a whole lot of of fans who are fed up with the bull shit and are wanting change, but that doesn't mean they are going to just quit being fans because times have been shitty for 8 years. I am not disputing that something needs to be done, but I am disputing that something actually will be done for at least a couple of years. I back up that it isn't a smart move to fire another basketball coach right now, right before our AD will (most likely) retire over the next couple of years.

No high profile coach is going to walk into such an uncertain situation.

How soon after we lose on Tuesday or Wednesday will the exodus begin?

I expect Woods to announce he’s done within 24 hours of our elimination. No inside info.

Wonder if anyone else jumps ship.

And that's the problem. If you don't demand excellence you will never get it.

If you have enough people paying for shit sandwiches and politely saying "thanks, Ron, may I have another", shit sandwiches is what you will get. And eventually learn to like the taste.

We don’t need a “high profile” coach.

While I don't disagree with everything you said here, the bold isn't entirely accurate. There are a whole lot of of fans who are fed up with the bull shit and are wanting change, but that doesn't mean they are going to just quit being fans because times have been shitty for 8 years. I am not disputing that something needs to be done, but I am disputing that something actually will be done for at least a couple of years. I back up that it isn't a smart move to fire another basketball coach right now, right before our AD will (most likely) retire over the next couple of years.

No high profile coach is going to walk into such an uncertain situation.

Who's giving up being a fan? I'm still a fan, it still hurts when even if I'm not watching the game, I get the alert on my phone that we just lost to Ga. Tech. I'm just not going to waste time and money supporting something that because of the way it's being mishandled doesn't deserve that support. I'll go to the ends of the earth to support football now, we've got a good coach and ever improving facilities and a program that seems to be well-managed. Basketball on the other hand is a mess. Wellman had made 2 terrible coaching hires. I would've never thought he could make a worse hire than Bzzzz, but really taking the emotion out of it, I think Manning was an even worse hire. I admittedly was glad to see Bzzz go and by default was excited by Manning at first, but he's in over his head even being almost 7 feet tall. I really don't think 2 more years of this crap are going to put us in a better position to hire a coach.

Wrong. Myself, and a few others, are called "sunshine brigade" because we aren't consistently negative assholes and don't make consistently negative knee jerk reactions to everything. This group of people you all have dubbed the "sunshine brigade" actually has plenty of criticisms of the current coach - just doesn't go overboard with the bull shit most of you constantly feed each other (and you all eat it right up too). So to your statement, it's not at all what you're trying to spew out of your mouth and more the other way around - the sky is falling, depressing echo chamber a decent sized group has formed here are reluctant to recognize anything positive, and get so defensive when someone says a ridiculous opinion on an in-game decision (or whatever BS is recently being trotted out) is wrong that they refuse to recognize the open criticisms of certain aspects of coaching by the "sunshine brigade." There is a HUGE difference between realism and pessimism, and this echo chamber of negativity you all have created here is the latter.

Of course, telling you this will be a fruitless exercise considering your (and others) stubbornness. Even when it's clear you are the embodiment of exactly what I just posted, exemplified by only seeing your presence when things aren't going well and the consistent negative posts.

Right, we just need a guy that can coach, has a lot of energy to put into the program and can identify talent. Wellman used that model to find Clawson, why can't he use it for basketball?

High profile or true up and comer. I think we can all agree that this hire needs to be a home run.

The coaching community has a full grasp on our current situation and understand that we are kind of in limbo regarding out AD and the timeline there. Why would a coach risk losing his job when a new AD inevitably comes in? Not saying he would, but oftentimes these AD's have "their guys" and it's a risk that most promising coaches don't want to take.

I guarantee I bleed black and gold as much as anyone, but why fly somewhere to watch us get our asses handed to us once again. Ok, a father and son going and getting that time together is awesome, I just wish that kid had the program to support that I did when I was that age. The Carl Tacy days, the Dave Odom days, a lot of the Prosser days, we had a solid program to be proud of. Even the Staak years, although bad, it was a matter of time until we became good to decent again. Right now, I'm not sure where the light at the end of the tunnel is. We've got an administration that seems just fine with bad basketball and hiring subpar coaches, until that changes 8 years could turn into 16 years and we'll be sitting here with the same garbage.

I'm with you that this all sucks and it's hard to fathom still supporting it. I am not here to try to convince anyone to support the current state of the program. I'm simply saying that the vast majority of wake fans, townies, donors, alum, whoever, still actively supports the program. Not just Mit Shah and other big time donors.

Who's giving up being a fan? I'm still a fan, it still hurts when even if I'm not watching the game, I get the alert on my phone that we just lost to Ga. Tech. I'm just not going to waste time and money supporting something that because of the way it's being mishandled doesn't deserve that support. I'll go to the ends of the earth to support football now, we've got a good coach and ever improving facilities and a program that seems to be well-managed. Basketball on the other hand is a mess. Wellman had made 2 terrible coaching hires. I would've never thought he could make a worse hire than Bzzzz, but really taking the emotion out of it, I think Manning was an even worse hire. I admittedly was glad to see Bzzz go and by default was excited by Manning at first, but he's in over his head even being almost 7 feet tall. I really don't think 2 more years of this crap are going to put us in a better position to hire a coach.

I cannot dispute this and I assure you that I'm not here to change anyone's mind.

I will say, as a fellow Wake fan, I think you all can save a lot of stress/energy/effort, or whatever, by just letting this thing play out. Nothing is going to change because a couple hundred disgruntled fans on the internet thinks we need to make a knee jerk firing and bring in a new coach, only to bring in a new AD in a couple of years.

We all want the same results. We all car enough to discuss WF sports just about every day with each other. I'm not saying you're a lesser fan because you don't support the current situation in the AD. That is your choice and it's backed up with good reasoning.

However, the incessant negativity and trash talking of the folks who run our program is in poor taste, IMO. Makes us look no better than Pack Pride, IC, or any other trashy forum.

I cannot dispute this and I assure you that I'm not here to change anyone's mind.

I will say, as a fellow Wake fan, I think you all can save a lot of stress/energy/effort, or whatever, by just letting this thing play out. Nothing is going to change because a couple hundred disgruntled fans on the internet thinks we need to make a knee jerk firing and bring in a new coach, only to bring in a new AD in a couple of years.

We all want the same results. We all car enough to discuss WF sports just about every day with each other. I'm not saying you're a lesser fan because you don't support the current situation in the AD. That is your choice and it's backed up with good reasoning.

However, the incessant negativity and trash talking of the folks who run our program is in poor taste, IMO. Makes us look no better than Pack Pride, IC, or any other trashy forum.

I agree, the talk of Manning getting canned now is a waste of time, because it isn't happening. Whether one thinks he should be or not.

No one has given up on being a fan. They just don't spend money on flights/hotels, face paint, and pom-poms anymore to go party on the deck of a sinking ship. The argument that a "real fan" keeps buying tickets and funding this mess is an argument made by people who are trying to justify the money and time they continue to spend. Newflash: it's not because you're a better fan.

The "couple hundred disgruntled fans" and "vast majority" is another made up fact you keep trotting out. I have the numbers in my phone for at least a hundred disgruntled fans, and my FB friend list has a few hundred more. There are thousands upon thousands of disgruntled Wake Forest fans. The stands are empty, and many of those in the stands are casual fans taking advantage of cheap seats. Winston has always had plenty of "ACC" fans who will show up to games when tickets are easy to come by. You can't possibly argue that the "vast majority" of the fan base isn't much different now than it was before Skip died.

Last edited:
ACC Tournament is a blast regardless of if Wake is playing well - it's just a lot more fun if Wake is good and has a chance to win it. If you get the chance to go you should definitely go.

No one has given up on being a fan. They just don't spend money on flights/hotels, face paint, and pom-poms anymore to go party on the deck of a sinking ship. The argument that a "real fan" keeps buying tickets and funding this mess is an argument made by people who are trying to justify the money and time they continue to spend. Newflash: it's not because you're a better fan.

The "couple hundred" is another made up fact you keep trotting out. I have the numbers in my phone for at least a hundred disgruntled fans, and my FB friend list has a few hundred more. There are thousands upon thousands of disgruntled Wake Forest fans.

So go throw your considerable human and financial weight around with the AD or the BOT.

ACC Tournament is a blast regardless of if Wake is playing well - it's just a lot more fun if Wake is good and has a chance to win it. If you get the chance to go you should definitely go.

Sucks compared to what it was 20 years ago and that's even for allowing it constantly being played in Greensboro with nothing to do before, between, or after games.

Back