• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

adidas to offer Wiggins $180M?

Cleveland. Mark it down.

I can promise you without a shadow of a doubt that he will NOT end up in Charlotte.

I will take the field if you take cleveland (and another team) for A MEAL AT PUTTERS

Things that keep me up at night: I wonder if Andrew Wiggins will adopt the nickname "Ender," since the main character in "Ender's Game" is named Andrew "Ender" Wiggin. He's certainly going to wipe us off the map in the Bahamas.

Last edited:
Why would the NBA agree to that?

They wouldn't/shouldn't. The system works perfectly for them. I was simply pointing out the oft alluded to fallacy that the NCAA has any control over the 1 & done rule.

Things that keep me up at night: I wonder if Andrew Wiggins will adopt the nickname "Ender," since the main character in "Ender's Game" is named Andrew "Ender" Wiggin. He's certainly going to wipe us off the map in the Bahamas.

Haha that would be awesome.

make them pay back their scholarship if they don't graduate

Apparently people should only get paid for their work if they work for four years.

If someone offered me $180m to sign an endorsement deal the month before I was set to enter college basketball, I would driving the nicest car ever owned by a member of the Austin Toros. Later, Kansas.

So basically he picked the only Adidas school in his top 4 during his recruitment, and everyone thought he was down to UK and FSU near the end of it. Nothing suspicious going on there.

If someone offered me $180m to sign an endorsement deal the month before I was set to enter college basketball, I would driving the nicest car ever owned by a member of the Austin Toros. Later, Kansas.

I'm pretty sure the NBDL has the same age rules as the NBA, so that would be difficult. You could, however, go play overseas. I doubt Wiggins would be receiving as heft an endorsement deal without the exposure to the American media market via college basketball.

So basically he picked the only Adidas school in his top 4 during his recruitment, and everyone thought he was down to UK and FSU near the end of it. Nothing suspicious going on there.

Didn't the same thing happen with Shabazz Muhammad going to UCLA?

I'm pretty sure the NBDL has the same age rules as the NBA, so that would be difficult. You could, however, go play overseas. I doubt Wiggins would be receiving as heft an endorsement deal without the exposure to the American media market via college basketball.

Feel free to be the first to declare me and my $180m (minus the price of my new car) 100% ineligible to go make other people money for free.

Feel free to be the first to declare me and my $180m (minus the price of my new car) 100% ineligible to go make other people money for free.

You aren't understanding. The $180m figure is based off of him having a year of college basketball media exposure. That is the reason that the NBA has that rule in place. It's a stupid rule. It's not the NCAA's fault that the rule exists. The NBA and its sponsors like the idea of vetting players for a year of college basketball before committing that kind of money to them. It's dumb, but Adidas thinks, correctly, that Andrew Wiggins will be worth more money after a year of college basketball in America than 4 years of HS basketball in Canada. Players have decided to go play overseas for year (not enough to make a difference), but I would guess Brandon Jennings "lost" some money in his NBA deal and endorsements (of course he got a euro salary that year before the NBA so there's that).

You aren't understanding. The $180m figure is based off of him having a year of college basketball media exposure. That is the reason that the NBA has that rule in place. It's a stupid rule. It's not the NCAA's fault that the rule exists. The NBA and its sponsors like the idea of vetting players for a year of college basketball before committing that kind of money to them. It's dumb, but Adidas thinks, correctly, that Andrew Wiggins will be worth more money after a year of college basketball in America than 4 years of HS basketball in Canada. Players have decided to go play overseas for year (not enough to make a difference), but I would guess Brandon Jennings "lost" some money in his NBA deal and endorsements (of course he got a euro salary that year before the NBA so there's that).

He played HS in the US for two years or so.

He played HS in the US for two years or so.

Even so, the audience for NCAA basketball (particular in March) is exponentially greater than the number of folks who follow HS basketball.

But millions knew about Lebron before he went pro.

The NBA would love a 2 year rule. Very few of the frosh are ready to play, but GMs feel compelled to pick them.

He's the SI cover story this week - as part of his recruitment he asked if he had to wear Adidas instead of his preferred brand (I'm assuming Nike since they have high school camps locked down), so seems like its more of Adidas trying to get in early on the next big hype. He doesn't seem like the typical one and done player - stupid Canada.

Back