• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

adidas to offer Wiggins $180M?

But millions knew about Lebron before he went pro.

The NBA would love a 2 year rule. Very few of the frosh are ready to play, but GMs feel compelled to pick them.

If the NBA would love a 2 year rule. There would be a 2 year rule. It's their rule. There is plenty of reason to criticize the NCAA, but the age restrictions on the pro leagues are responsible for kids not getting paid just as much. They are just better at controlling the message.

The NBDL does not have any age rules but I'm sure that the adidas money is contingent on him playing a year in Kansas.

If the NBA would love a 2 year rule. There would be a 2 year rule. It's their rule. There is plenty of reason to criticize the NCAA, but the age restrictions on the pro leagues are responsible for kids not getting paid just as much. They are just better at controlling the message.

Ah, so the elder players in the NBA (and their union) are worried about being pushed out by cheaper, younger players?

Ah, so the elder players in the NBA (and their union) are worried about being pushed out by cheaper, younger players?

That's a factor. Wasn't the original rule a point of contention in the CBA that created it in 2006?

The NBDL does not have any age rules but I'm sure that the adidas money is contingent on him playing a year in Kansas.

It's an interesting hypothetical: if the most talented prospects went NBDL after High School instead of playing in college, would the NBDL be more lucrative than CBB? I doubt it.

Stern's long range plan was always to develop the NBDL into a viable product, and that includes lifting the NBA age limit to 20 and having the NBDL age limit at 18. One Andrew Wiggins forgoing college for the NBDL would at least spark relevant TV and media attention on that team.

aren't NBDL teams in South Dakota and places like that

aren't NBDL teams in South Dakota and places like that

15p0tnk.jpg

It's an interesting hypothetical: if the most talented prospects went NBDL after High School instead of playing in college, would the NBDL be more lucrative than CBB? I doubt it.

Lucrative, no.

Also, the current salary structure is three tiered based on the player: $12,000, $18,000 or $24,000.

It's an interesting concept that essentially mimics the way soccer works worldwide and separates athletics and higher education.

Those teams collapse and new teams are created all the time too. The league is still in its relative infancy. But superstars go play in sleepy college towns all the time.

It's an interesting concept that essentially mimics the way soccer works worldwide and separates athletics and higher education.

I just think the collegiate brands are far too strong to make it viable at that level. For as much hype as and Andrew Wiggins generates, a huge majority of the non-NBA basketball fanbase fervently supports an inferior product because of the attachment we feel to our Alma Maters.

I just think the collegiate brands are far too strong to make it viable at that level. For as much hype as and Andrew Wiggins generates, a huge majority of the non-NBA basketball fanbase fervently supports an inferior product because of the attachment we feel to our Alma Maters.

I don't think that's why the non-NBAers prefer college basketball. A lot of CBB fans pull for schools they have a tangential relationship to. But I agree that NBA minor leagues would never be in the same universe as CBB.

I don't think that's why the non-NBAers prefer college basketball. A lot of CBB fans pull for schools they have a tangential relationship to. But I agree that NBA minor leagues would never be in the same universe as CBB.

Alma Maters is probably too specific. The collegiate brands are just entrenched. Whether by history, locality, or school affiliation, we watch and support it. We're all guilty of it.

I watched a NBDL game on the tele last season and I swear that there couldn't have been more than 20 fans in the stands. It was such a sad sad sight.

I watched a NBDL game on the tele last season and I swear that there couldn't have been more than 20 fans in the stands. It was such a sad sad sight.

One reason why the NBA isn't going to put resources into a true developmental league when the NCAA is doing it for them.

The NBA product has improved since the one year rule was put into place. For all the hype around Lebron's rookie year, imagine if he was coming off a championship at UNC or Duke.

I've learned this the hard way, but it doesn't matter if you are the worst team in the league with a 20-62 record or the worst team in the league with a 0-82 record... there is a 75% chance you aren't getting that pick.

Back