• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Advice for soccer noobs

Can someone help me figure out who Lionel Messi looks like? Is it Dustin Hoffman?

I'm trying, really trying to get into the World Cup. I'm watching Argentina and Switzerland in what is I'm guessing a super tense game. But I am fucking bored.

This was the 2nd or 3rd most boring game in 50. And the ending is absurd.

Those calling soccer fans defensive come off just as annoying as the people they are calling out. Do they not see how silly it looks running to every soccer thread to tell everyone how fundamentally flawed the game is to them? The reason soccer works better than ever before in the US is that they stopped trying to Americanize it to attract fans that were never going to care about it anyway. They have built a solid fan base for the home professional league. And interest in European leagues has been higher than ever.

That said, it is still not close to being on level with the traditional domestic sports. Those within the soccer community do not seem to mind that fact nearly as much as it is often implied.

Agree across the board here.

Those calling soccer fans defensive come off just as annoying as the people they are calling out. Do they not see how silly it looks running to every soccer thread to tell everyone how fundamentally flawed the game is to them? The reason soccer works better than ever before in the US is that they stopped trying to Americanize it to attract fans that were never going to care about it anyway. They have built a solid fan base for the home professional league. And interest in European leagues has been higher than ever.

That said, it is still not close to being on level with the traditional domestic sports. Those within the soccer community do not seem to mind that fact nearly as much as it is often implied.

Yep. All this. There's nothing wrong with soccer. That said, it will always be fourth or fifth fiddle in the US. And that's ok.

I'm trying, really trying to get into the World Cup. I'm watching Argentina and Switzerland in what is I'm guessing a super tense game. But I am fucking bored.

Be bored elsewhere then.

Yep. All this. There's nothing wrong with soccer. That said, it will always be fourth or fifth fiddle in the US. And that's ok.

4th or 5th. The USA/Portugal game beat out the NBA finals and the World Series and the US open in TV ratings..

How many times has bdz posted in this thread? Whatever the number, that is the amount of times he has posted to people that like soccer are defensive. #insights

Watch MLS. Then in 10 years you can brag about having been a fan before all the hipster, Euro only loving guys in the US, which will then make you a neo-hipster yourself. Or act like you have a huge connection to a town you've never seen and would likely be ridiculed if you went to.

Or just enjoy the game, be it MLS, England, Spain, university, your kid's match. It's generally more fun to be a neutral fan and just cheer for your fantasy players.

Sir, your MLS fan is showing.

if there's one thing americans like, it's telling soccer fans how much they suck

Premier League ratings on NBC are creeping up on NHL ratings...

Haha speaking of absurd, going around telling people how defensive they're being...

I'm not really going around. I made a point about how oddly defensive soccer fans in the U.S. can be, and people are posting their responses, and I'm responding to them. That's how a message board works.

My seven year old son is yelling at the tv about how stupid extra time rules are.

40037314_384x288_generated.jpg

if there's one thing americans like, it's telling soccer fans how much they suck

So true. I'm waiting for Glenn Beck to tell everyone that Obama is coming to take their guns away in every bar in America if you watch much less enjoy.

Back