• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Advice for soccer noobs

I love the Premier League as well, I just don't understand the intense fandom some have despite no connection.

What is anyone's connection to a professional sports team? I love the Cowboys and Mariners too and I don't have a connection to them.

Sidenote: I've been to more United matches than Cowboys, but less than Mariners games.

I'm not really going around. I made a point about how oddly defensive soccer fans in the U.S. can be, and people are posting their responses, and I'm responding to them. That's how a message board works.

Yea ok. So I'll just reiterate that as a defensive soccer fan I find you absurd.

What is anyone's connection to a professional sports team? I love the Cowboys and Mariners too and I don't have a connection to them.

Sidenote: I've been to more United matches than Cowboys, but less than Mariners games.

Usually because they live there or used to live there.

I love the Premier League as well, I just don't understand the intense fandom some have despite no connection.

So proximity is the #1 determining factor here? I mean, I've been to enough DCU games and I've seen (well, been present for) countless Kickers games to "have a connection," but for whatever reason I've paid for hotel and flights to go to the Emirates over sitting in traffic to go watch Chris Pontius kick the ball into the RFK stands.

ETA: Maybe the interest comes from following Arsenal for much of my interest in the sport while DCU was added later on.

Last edited:
40037314_384x288_generated.jpg

rep/spread

I'm not really going around. I made a point about how oddly defensive soccer fans in the U.S. can be, and people are posting their responses, and I'm responding to them. That's how a message board works.

Condescending, too. Awesome.

Yep. All this. There's nothing wrong with soccer. That said, it will always be fourth or fifth fiddle in the US. And that's ok.

Twenty years ago people were seriously asking if hockey could overtake basketball as #3. I could see soccer becoming a "major" sport here - especially if the USMNT goes on a miracle run...

Soccer has a better chance of replicating an NBA fanbase than an NHL one, IMO.

I think I'd have to cheer for Tottenham. They hired an American Football coach last year!

Do the major soccer leagues have a salary cap? I think I read somewhere recently that Ronaldo's salary last year was around $75MM, which is crazy even if a bunch of that is from endorsements. And don't clubs in Europe pay the taxes for the players?

How do trades work between leagues? Could a player be traded to anywhere in the word?

Do the major soccer leagues have a salary cap? I think I read somewhere recently that Ronaldo's salary last year was around $75MM, which is crazy even if a bunch of that is from endorsements. And don't clubs in Europe pay the taxes for the players?

How do trades work between leagues? Could a player be traded to anywhere in the word?

I believe MLS is the only major league with a salary cap, but MLS has the Designated Player rule (also called the Beckham Rule) through which a team can sign two players whose salaries don't count against the cap.

Yeah no salary cap and a player can sign any where. The teams negotiate for the rights to the player, and the club will negotiate with the player for a contract. Trades are not very common, but players are sometimes thrown in to lower the price of another player.

I agree. If you're looking to become a fan of the sport, watch MLS. Beckerman, Dempsey, Bradley all play for MLS teams, and now you'll have a connection and will be able to recognize and have a reason to root for some guys. Go to a game if you're close enough, it really is a great experience.

Sure, watch the BPL, but don't overlook our domestic league.

EDIT: Fuck NYCFC tho

Last edited:
There's something called Financial Fair Play but it's a massive joke.

the problem with soccer becoming big is the revenue system for soccer. Not very conducive to big TV contracts like all the other 4 major american sports are (i.e. frequent play stoppages for commercials), thus it will be difficult for any soccer (outside of WC play) to get serious airtime in the US
(i haven't read this thread so sorry if I'm making a redundant post)

Back