• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Advice for Traveling to Ireland/GB/France

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
I am in the process of planning a late-summer trip to England as a surprise gift to my mother. My current plan is:

(Purchase 8 day BritRail Pass)

- Fly into London, arrive on day (1)
(Days 1-3 in London)

-Train to Bath, morning day (4)
stay overnight in Bath

-Train to York, afternoon day (5)
stay nights (5-6) in York

-Train to Edinburgh, morning day (7)
spend nights (7-8) in Edinburgh

- Fly out of Edinburgh morning of day (9)

Does this seem like a reasonable itinerary?

Does anyone have any advice on traveling by train in England, or any wisdom about visiting these locations? Should I consider different locations to visit?

Last edited:
Taking a bus from Edinburgh to Skye and back in one day is pushing it. And I'm saying that as someone who has actually driven from Edinburgh to Skye.

2 days in London seems a bit light to me (I feel like both you and yr mom would dig Westminster Abbey, which was probably my favorite thing in the city, and you could spend 4+ hours just there easy), but if you have a good amount of stuff planned in the other spots, it makes sense

If your mom has any interest in Brussels, we took a day trip there from London (p cheap 2 hour train ride each way) and it was dope as hell

Taking a bus from Edinburgh to Skye and back in one day is pushing it. And I'm saying that as someone who has actually driven from Edinburgh to Skye.

You are correct. I had bookmarked a 1 day tour on TripAdvisor and see now that it picks up in Inverness, not Edinburgh.

Look into cheap flights in country from Edinburgh to Inverness. Ryan Air, etc can be insanely cheap and you could hop up there just for the Isle of Skye trip and then come back.

Personal opinion, you'll stay plenty busy in London and Edinburgh and I would save Skye for a Highlands type trip where you stay up north for a few days at least.

Train in the UK is pretty reliable. I've done trains from Glasgow to St Andrews and Edinburgh without issue.

If for some reason you do fly in/out of Inverness, it's the easiest international arrivals terminal I've ever seen by far. Probably 10 minutes total from walking off plane to getting luggage.

The curry scene over there is sublime.

I did that tour. You don’t get much time in skye. Edinburgh is great and can easily fill 2 days.

Why York?

I’ve read a lot about it and heard from multiple people that it was one of the best places they visited in England. Have you been to York?

I’ve read a lot about it and heard from multiple people that it was one of the best places they visited in England. Have you been to York?

I have not. I hadn’t heard much about is as a travel destination. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on it. Edinburgh and London are two of my favorite cities and on their own could fill much of your itinerary.

also, because I know how much you love Indian: dishoom is absolutely deserving of the hype, honestly one of the best meals I've ever had, do not miss it

Make sure you try the tea and crumpets! I hear they're divine ! !

Can anyone confirm if it’s better to buy a BritRail pass or buy individual tickets?

This sounds like a great trip. My advice to you is to not try to squeeze in everything London has to offer in just 3 days. There is way too much to see and do. Buckingham palace is usually crowded and underwhelming, so is Parliament/Big Ben Westminster Abby (though I did see a peregrine falcon on top of the Abby). Pick a few things and really spend time with them rather than rush around to do it all. One item I really enjoyed was a Thames ride out to Greenwich and back, got to see a lot of the city from the water (Also saw a gray wag tail along the way). If you are into theater, seeing Shakespeare at the Globe was super awesome. Same advice for Edinburgh, it is a smaller city, but still lots to do. The castle is a bit over priced (saw a brown tree creeper in the gardens below!) but Arthur's seat is awesome. I agree a trip to Skye is too much, but you could pretty easily get to Loch Lohman or up to Caringorms for a day to see some of the Scottish Highlands.

This sounds like a great trip. My advice to you is to not try to squeeze in everything London has to offer in just 3 days. There is way too much to see and do. Buckingham palace is usually crowded and underwhelming, so is Parliament/Big Ben Westminster Abby (though I did see a peregrine falcon on top of the Abby). Pick a few things and really spend time with them rather than rush around to do it all. One item I really enjoyed was a Thames ride out to Greenwich and back, got to see a lot of the city from the water (Also saw a gray wag tail along the way). If you are into theater, seeing Shakespeare at the Globe was super awesome. Same advice for Edinburgh, it is a smaller city, but still lots to do. The castle is a bit over priced (saw a brown tree creeper in the gardens below!) but Arthur's seat is awesome. I agree a trip to Skye is too much, but you could pretty easily get to Loch Lohman or up to Caringorms for a day to see some of the Scottish Highlands.
I think this is really good advice. London is an awesome town and there is a ton to do. 2 days is tight. Greenwich is a cool idea. I would def do the British Museum of course and we also really liked the Cabinet War Rooms. Hampstead Heath is cool and has a nice view of the city (and Karl Marx is buried near there). Camden Town has a neat vibe. So much great stuff to do.

Bath is wonderful. We hiked to a pub along the canal. Great small city.

Kent is an unusual choice. No judgment at all, just not a place I would target. As an alternate idea, the Lake District is wonderful esp if you mom is mobile. Great English countryside. Both Keswick and Windermere and great little towns.

I have no idea if the pass is worth it. I suspect if you knew exactly when you were going when it would be cheaper to buy seperate tickets. These passes tend to be good for their flexibility / last minute travel.

Counter-point: If seeing a bunch of different places is more important to you than going through all of the minutiae of London, then don't spend more than three days in London.

The first thing you need to figure out when planning an itinerary is whether you prioritize seeing a few places very well or a lot of places in a much more cursory fashion. I remember a post way back when from Vad where he said visitors to Vienna needed to spend an entire afternoon just hanging out in a coffee shop. Okay, that's great if you live in Vienna, or are a train ride away from Vienna, or are 25 and plan to go to Europe twice a year for the rest of your life. I'll be lucky to go twice in my entire lifetime, and I'm sure as hell not flushing an entire afternoon down the toilet just sitting in a coffee shop. On the opposite side of the spectrum, my in-laws just went to Europe for the first time in their lives, and I don't think they spent two nights at the same place, because they wanted to hit as many sites as possible.

One other thing to remember when planning an itinerary: It's easy to look at the train schedule and say, "Oh, City X is 2 hours away from City Y. I'll get on a train at 8, get there at 10, and have the entire day for site-seeing." While train travel is great in much of Europe, you still have to pack your bags, check out of the hotel, arrange for transport to the train station, get to the train station early (if you're like me and stress about things like that), deal with potential delays, get to your destination city, find transportation to your hotel, check in, and possibly change/freshen up before heading out. That 2-hour trip can easily turn into 5 hours all told and knock out the better part of a day.

As for your specific destinations, I don't have a ton of feedback. London was not one of my favorites, but other folks love it. Paris is a top-three city in Europe for me, if not #1, so I'd be spending more time there. (One note on Paris and London: I did them back to back, and it seemed like the subway stops were much closer together in Paris than in London. Like, if you stopped at the nearest subway station for a tourist site in Paris, you'd be walking a few hundred yards, whereas in London, it often felt like a mile or more.) I did the Chunnel back and forth, and it was very convenient, although you did have to be there an hour early to check in rather than just showing up like you would for a train. Brussels I did only a whirlwind tour, and Belfast I've never been to.

Day trip to Oxford is fun. Especially if you're one of those huge Harry Potter dorks.

Descriptions like this are part of the reason I think my mom would like visiting York:

- “Yes York is worth a visit. It is a very old city founded by the Romans very nearly 2000 years ago. Unlike many cities in the UK though parts of the York still feel and look old ( ok maybe not 2000 years old, but like really old.) It is genuine really old buildings and streets and not re created like Walt Disney castles.”

Descriptions like this are part of the reason I think my mom would like visiting York:

- “Yes York is worth a visit. It is a very old city founded by the Romans very nearly 2000 years ago. Unlike many cities in the UK though parts of the York still feel and look old ( ok maybe not 2000 years old, but like really old.) It is genuine really old buildings and streets and not re created like Walt Disney castles.”
Bath might fit the bill....

I just booked my flight:

Arrive in Edinburgh 8am, September 6th

Depart out of Paris, 11:15am, September 15th

I figured that I would really regret being that close to Paris and not going. Think I will cut out the York visit, and potentially Bath as well. Might limit this trip to Edinburgh-London-Paris.

Back