• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Advice for Traveling to Ireland/GB/France

I went in 2016. Agree with everyone suggesting to get out of Dublin. 2 days is plenty. We took he train over to Galway and then rented a car from there. Cliffs were great, and then we drove up the west coast and ultimately found the house my great grandma grew up in in Donegal.
Nice! I got to visit the house my great grand father grew up in in County Mayo. My twice removed first cousin still lived there in 1990. Dirt floor, thatch roof, wood/peat burning stove. Very cool to see where my family came from.

Don't really have much new to add, but echo that driving around Ireland was pretty cool, if a little stressful once you get to the three digit road numbers with very narrow paths. The Burren is wild, it is like Mars. I did Athlone, Doolin (for the cliffs, also a side trip to Inisheer), Kinsale (really Old Head where I could walk to a great little pub called the Speckled Door), and then Dublin. Good times, great memories.

I really want to go to the couple of places in Scotland where Local Hero was filmed. Maybe I can sort that out in the next couple of years. Great movie!

Nice! I got to visit the house my great grand father grew up in in County Mayo. My twice removed first cousin still lived there in 1990. Dirt floor, thatch roof, wood/peat burning stove. Very cool to see where my family came from.

Yeah. I saw my great grandparents grass house in County Mayo back in ‘98.

Stayed with relatives that own a pub and run a B&B.

Their kids taught us rugby. We taught them football.

We'll be visiting Galway this summer to visit my daughter who will be taking classes there. I knew nothing about Galway before this thread, but now will be going with very high expectations!

Having a difficult time deciding where to stay in Dublin - there doesn’t seem to be much of a proper city center. Am I missing something?

Having a difficult time deciding where to stay in Dublin - there doesn’t seem to be much of a proper city center. Am I missing something?
Near Temple Bar is a good bet or right across the river. It’s fairly compact and most things are easily walkable or you can take a bus.

Last edited:
Near Temple Bar is a good bet or right across the river. It’s fairly compact and most things are easily walkable or you can take a bus.
So the gist of my problem is that hotels in the Temple Bar neighborhood are upwards of $350 a night with taxes, while hotels 20 minutes away from that area are $100+ less per night. Just looking at a map and googling, I can’t tell if it’s worth paying $700 to stay in Temple Bar vs $500 to stay 15 minutes away. My mom and I are mainly interested in museums and historical shit, we don’t really care about bars and nightclubs.

So the gist of my problem is that hotels in the Temple Bar neighborhood are upwards of $350 a night with taxes, while hotels 20 minutes away from that area are $100+ less per night. Just looking at a map and googling, I can’t tell if it’s worth paying $700 to stay in Temple Bar vs $500 to stay 15 minutes away. My mom and I are mainly interested in museums and historical shit, we don’t really care about bars and nightclubs.
Yeah I mean it’s not that big of a city and ultimately it’s your decision on what you value, saving the money vs the closeness. Where are these outer hotels near?

Back