• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Advice for Traveling to Ireland/GB/France

The problem with the cliffs of moher is the weather could completely screw you, it’s best to basically use two days with one day you can pivot if the weather will be better. Also I would suggest Bed and Breakfasts over Airbnb in Ireland because you get to meet other fun travelers, usually Europeans, as well as the local hosts. If you want a small little village by the Cliffs I’d recommend Lisdoonvarna, about 15 minutes allowing you to get there first thing and beat the tour buses that are god awful.

Currently 3 days, but I could add a day now on the front if I wanted to.

Oh that's good.

Not sure if you're a golfer, but even if not a day trip to St Andrews is worth it IMO. It's about 90 minutes away.

I already mentioned the Royal Mile and I'd bet you already had that one down. You can easily blow a day plus there with the museums, castles, etc.

The Johnnie Walker tour is pretty cool.

Restaurant recs - any curry house lol. Specifically The Everest. It runs pricey, but was worth it IMO.

Loch Lomond is stunning. I only spent a few hours there on a golf trip but always wanted to take a proper tour.

Personally, I just love walking around those old towns and soaking it all in. I'd move there tomorrow if I could.

The problem with the cliffs of moher is the weather could completely screw you, it’s best to basically use two days with one day you can pivot if the weather will be better. Also I would suggest Bed and Breakfasts over Airbnb in Ireland because you get to meet other fun travelers, usually Europeans, as well as the local hosts. If you want a small little village by the Cliffs I’d recommend Lisdoonvarna, about 15 minutes allowing you to get there first thing and beat the tour buses that are god awful.
Ok, +1 on the bed and breakfast idea. That’s the way to do it.

Not sure if there’s a way to do it on a tour bus, but if you can fit in The Burren just north of the Cliffs, absolutely do so. Like a moonscape right on the coast and unlike anywhere I’ve ever been.

I’d check to see if this bar were still around , as lifted from the British pub I’m in now

ad273624535e4c735b03adb19973df5d.jpg

My dad grew up in Ireland so I've been a bunch of times and have my citizenship, etc.

The west coast of Ireland is incredible. Galway is probably my favorite city in the world. Lots of music, culture, and everything is outdoors when it's not raining. Westport in Co. Mayo is also incredible but a little further off the beaten path for the average American tourist. Well worth a visit if you like golf or are outdoorsy. Hiking Croagh Patrick (mountain outside of Westport) is a great experience with some incredible views. The cliffs of Moher are great but there is always a chance you get wind and rain on the west coast so I wouldn't plan an entire day or weekend around that. I would maybe stay in Galway or Lehinch (seaside town built around a beautiful links course roughly 20 minutes from the cliffs) and make an afternoon trip to see the cliffs. Really can't go wrong but Galway, Westport, and Lehinch on the west coast are incredible. Dingle in Co. Kerry is also great but a hike from either airport.

If you are doing Belfast then Giant’s Causeway and Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge are good stops

Comedy clubs are good stops in Dublin and Edinburgh depending on who is performing

I went in 2016. Agree with everyone suggesting to get out of Dublin. 2 days is plenty. We took he train over to Galway and then rented a car from there. Cliffs were great, and then we drove up the west coast and ultimately found the house my great grandma grew up in in Donegal.

Attachments

• 1AED8416-6E43-461C-9515-C22F0DF177A3.jpeg
    1AED8416-6E43-461C-9515-C22F0DF177A3.jpeg
    624.6 KB · Views: 10
doing a week in Paris with the kids. any must do's with them? doing Normandy, Louvre, Eiffel, Versailles, Montmartre, and probably Disney one day

doing a week in Paris with the kids. any must do's with them? doing Normandy, Louvre, Eiffel, Versailles, Montmartre, and probably Disney one day

There are buses from Galway to the Cliffs. Galway is a great destination on its own!

Back