• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Advice for Traveling to Ireland/GB/France

I just booked my flight:

Arrive in Edinburgh 8am, September 6th

Depart out of Paris, 11:15am, September 15th

I figured that I would really regret being that close to Paris and not going. Think I will cut out the York visit, and potentially Bath as well. Might limit this trip to Edinburgh-London-Paris.

Edinburgh is a lot of fun. We went during the Fringe Festival before a year or two before C19. Make sure you climb to the top of Arthur's Seat, amazing view, and go to The World's End Pub on the Royal Mile.

Had early Christmas dinner with my parents last night and surprised my mom with the news of the trip. It was awesome to see how excited she was.

Flights and hotels are booked: Arriving in Edinburgh for 3-day stay, train to London for 3-day stay, train to Paris for 3-day stay, flying out of Paris on day 10. Booked centrally located hotels in each place to maximize our touristy sight seeing efficiency.

The gist of my moms story is that at 17 when she was a HS senior her father offered her a trip to Europe or a car, and she chose the car, a silver 1972 Chevy Vega. The Vega’s head gasket blew 6 months later. My whole life she has always encouraged me to travel as much as possible, and told me how much she regretted not choosing the trip. So what I did was buy a silver Chevy Vega hot wheels car-keychain, and I bought vintage post cards from Edinburgh/London/Paris. I put the keychain in a small box and the postcards in a separate box and I gave her both boxes and told her to choose which gift she wanted more.

I rebooked my trip to include 4 days in Ireland, arriving in Dublin. What should I do, and how do I book rail tickets to Glasgow/Edinburgh?

Hmm probably not enough time to do Ring of Kerry without feeling rushed, but you can get to Cliffs of Moher and Galway.

I rebooked my trip to include 4 days in Ireland, arriving in Dublin. What should I do, and how do I book rail tickets to Glasgow/Edinburgh?

I’d spend a day in Dublin doing a Hop On/Hop Off Tour.

Would definitely try and get out to the Cliffs of Moher.

Looks like you can buy a combo ticket to do just that.

I drove around a lot of Ireland. It’s about the size of South Carolina.

From where? The Brits privatized all their train lines so depending on your origin and destination you use different companies.

yeah definitely get some out of Dublin so you can see why it's called the Emerald Isle. Cliffs of Moher is a good alternative. probably should do the Guinness Museum to say you did it, and get a pint in a cool spot at the end. I haven't been since 2015 but recall Leo Burdock's having great fish and chips.

Scotrail. I've actually done the Glasgow to Edinburgh leg. Pretty scenic.
I have 5 days to spend in Ireland and travel to Edinburgh, do you have any recommendations? I am considering 2 nights in Dublin, 2 nights in Belfast, and then a travel day to Edinburgh

For me, Ireland and Scotland are more about the countryside and the coast than the cities.
I’m definitely down for some ideas, I would like to travel around Ireland without renting a car, even potentially stay somewhere outside of Dublin (it’s fucking expensive) I know I want to take my mom on a Game of Thrones tour in Northern Ireland, but that’s my only plan so far

I’m definitely down for some ideas, I would like to travel around Ireland without renting a car, even potentially stay somewhere outside of Dublin (it’s fucking expensive) I know I want to take my mom on a Game of Thrones tour in Northern Ireland, but that’s my only plan so far
You can do a good day or two in Dublin. Even if you and your mom are not big drinkers, the Guinness and Jameson tours are fun. Temple Bar is touristy but also fun, and you won't regret it. Trinity College Library is worth the line; even just the campus is great. Also some good parks around the city. If you are going to do a day trip, I would second everyone else and say Cliff's of Moher.

Tickets from Glasgow to Edinburgh are very easy, and you can get them at the train station. I remember it being like every half hour, and the train ride is about an hour. I wouldn't overthink the train ride, just go when it's convenient.

Would want to hear a bit more about your Edinburgh ideas before I suggest anything. How long you are going to be there, and what you're interested in seeing.

I have 5 days to spend in Ireland and travel to Edinburgh, do you have any recommendations? I am considering 2 nights in Dublin, 2 nights in Belfast, and then a travel day to Edinburgh

Regrettably I haven't done Ireland. Tons of time over 5 trips in Scotland. How long are you in Edinburgh?

If I had 4 days in Ireland, I’d do one day in Dublin, get an air bnb somewhere on the west coast in a small village, like near donegal, and then one night in Belfast.

Back