• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Affleck Email Problem

ONW

Reaction score
Does this open the Pandora's Box of slavery reparations? I'm curious what people think as it brings up several ethical, legal, responsibility, public persona, etc. questions.

I'll start the conversation with a question? Now that someone very famous and very rich has been physically tied to slavery, when do the lawsuits start and are they valid?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...ked-broadcaster-to-hide-slave-owning-ancestor

In a haze these days
I pull up to the stop light
I can feel that something's not right
I can feel that someone's blasting me with hate
And bass
Sendin' dirty vibes my way
'Cause my great great great great Grandad
Made someones' great great great great Grandaddies slaves
It wasn't my idea
It wasn't my idea
Never was my idea

I just drove to the store
For some Preparation-H

Does this open the Pandora's Box of slavery reparations? I'm curious what people think as it brings up several ethical, legal, responsibility, public persona, etc. questions.

I'll start the conversation with a question? Now that someone very famous and very rich has been physically tied to slavery, when do the lawsuits start and are they valid?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...ked-broadcaster-to-hide-slave-owning-ancestor

How would any lawsuit against Affleck be valid in this regard? Are you being serious?

"Ben Affleck found himself in some shit over the weekend when a new dump of hacked Sony emails revealed he asked Henry Louis Gates Jr. to censor information about an ancestor owning slaves on Finding Your Roots. A request that Gates seemed to comply with after emailing Sony Entertainment CEO Michael Lynton."

http://www.thesuperficial.com/ben-affleck-pbs-slave-owner-ancestor-statement-04-2015

Jesus, I was just trying to start a discussion.

In all honesty what kind of political discussion were you looking for (don't infer a nasty tone...honestly curious). Affleck has some ugly relatives that lived two centuries ago and he didn't want that to go public. Seems somewhat reasonable for a high profile person. Outside of the question of 'how does this hurt his career?' I am not sure what kind of discussion there is to be had on this. Certainly don't see a political angle. Chances are if you lineage in this country goes back far enough someone in your tree owned some slaves. It wasn't as though slavery only existed in the southern corner of the continent. Just not sure where there is discussion to be had. I honestly enjoy political discourse with you above all other posters on this forum, so enlighten me wise brother. What am I missing?

Reactions: ONW
i would bet money many, many of the posters on OGB have ancestor(s) who were slave owners.

i would bet money many, many of the posters on OGB have ancestor(s) who were slave owners.

What basis do you have to make this irresponsible statement?

Why don't you just have the guts to come out and name some names of the "many, many posters" you reference?

Or is this just an intellectually lazy and dishonest cheap shot way for you to paint people with whom you disagree as not just racists, but the present day incarnation of slave holders?

What basis do you have to make this irresponsible statement?

Why don't you just have the guts to come out and name some names of the "many, many posters" you reference?

Or is this just an intellectually lazy and dishonest cheap shot way for you to paint people with whom you disagree as not just racists, but the present day incarnation of slave holders?

Well you certainly took that much more personally than reasonably expected.

What a pussy. Unless all your relatives came from the post-Civil War Ellis Island boom, which is highly unlikely, you are highly likely to be related to slaveholders. You are also highly likely to be related to somebody who did nefarious shit on some other continent somewhere and people who did great things. That's what makes genealogy interesting. Affleck seems like a pretty smart dude, but I guess he lives in a bubble or with the hope of a political future where he has to control all information about himself.

In all honesty what kind of political discussion were you looking for (don't infer a nasty tone...honestly curious). Affleck has some ugly relatives that lived two centuries ago and he didn't want that to go public. Seems somewhat reasonable for a high profile person. Outside of the question of 'how does this hurt his career?' I am not sure what kind of discussion there is to be had on this. Certainly don't see a political angle. Chances are if you lineage in this country goes back far enough someone in your tree owned some slaves. It wasn't as though slavery only existed in the southern corner of the continent. Just not sure where there is discussion to be had. I honestly enjoy political discourse with you above all other posters on this forum, so enlighten me wise brother. What am I missing?

"I'm curious what people think as it brings up several ethical, legal, responsibility, public persona, etc. questions."

I didn't mention politics.

Last edited:
I could have presented the initial idea for the thread a bit better.

People are suing Thomas Jefferson's estate for having a line of offspring with a slave and not acknowledging them. I really didn't mean for it to be this serious. My bad.

People are suing Thomas Jefferson's estate for having a line of offspring with a slave and not acknowledging them. I really didn't mean for it to be this serious. My bad.

Maybe RULZ board is still around

You might try over there

Less than two percent of people in the US in 1860 owned slaves.

That figure likely includes the North and slaves themselves.

Back