• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Affleck Email Problem

I'm pretty sure that one side of my family owned slaves given their standing at the time of the Civil War and the length of time they've been in North Carolina.

Actually, this issue can be researched without too much trouble (assuming that you know the names of your great-great-great, etc. grandparents and where in North Carolina they lived in the 1850s or so).

As part of an independent study for Dr. Zuber (God rest his soul) in which I researched the socio-economic status of officers in North Carolina regiments during the Civil War, I looked up my family in Surry County in the 1850 and 1860 census. (They have copies of these documents in the main branch of the Forsyth County library). The handwritten census entries list the members of every household by name, age, sex, marital status, occupation and race (free blacks and slaves are included as well as the case may be). Each entry also lists the amount of land owned and in some instances the amount of livestock owned by the household.

Accordingly, you can tell whether your family owned slaves and generally their lot in life.

I was relieved to see that my people did not own any slaves, but instead were yeoman farmers.

Last edited:
Weird that 19deac92 didn't jump all over these posts too

In all honesty what kind of political discussion were you looking for (don't infer a nasty tone...honestly curious). Affleck has some ugly relatives that lived two centuries ago and he didn't want that to go public. Seems somewhat reasonable for a high profile person. Outside of the question of 'how does this hurt his career?' I am not sure what kind of discussion there is to be had on this. Certainly don't see a political angle. Chances are if you lineage in this country goes back far enough someone in your tree owned some slaves. It wasn't as though slavery only existed in the southern corner of the continent. Just not sure where there is discussion to be had. I honestly enjoy political discourse with you above all other posters on this forum, so enlighten me wise brother. What am I missing?

What a pussy. Unless all your relatives came from the post-Civil War Ellis Island boom, which is highly unlikely, you are highly likely to be related to slaveholders. You are also highly likely to be related to somebody who did nefarious shit on some other continent somewhere and people who did great things. That's what makes genealogy interesting. Affleck seems like a pretty smart dude, but I guess he lives in a bubble or with the hope of a political future where he has to control all information about himself.

Nah, I think I took that post in the manner in which it was intended.

Some irony (?) given your avatar. It was a classic:

e31.jpg

I guess so. They could be one of the top officers in the confederate army so I can only assume they could own slaves too.

Is having an ancestor that served as a top officer in the confederate army a source of pride? I would think not, but I'm a yank (if a Midwesterner is Yankee).

Is having an ancestor that served as a top officer in the confederate army a source of pride? I would think not, but I'm a yank (if a Midwesterner is Yankee).

Yankee is much worse. Midwesterners are almost tolerable.

Actually, this issue can be researched without too much trouble (assuming that you know the names of your great-great-great, etc. grandparents and where in North Carolina they lived in the 1850s or so).

As part of an independent study for Dr. Zuber (God rest his soul) in which I researched the socio-economic status of officers in North Carolina regiments during the Civil War, I looked up my family in Surry County in the 1850 and 1860 census. (They have copies of these documents in the main branch of the Forsyth County library). The handwritten census entries list the members of every household by name, age, sex, marital status, occupation and race (free blacks and slaves are included as well as the case may be). Each entry also lists the amount of land owned and in some instances the amount of livestock owned by the household.

Accordingly, you can tell whether your family owned slaves and generally their lot in life.

I was relieved to see that my people did not own any slaves, but instead were yeoman farmers.

Did you look up every branch of your family and how far back did you look? Just because your direct line didn't have slaves in 1850 or 1860 doesn't mean that they or one of your maternal lines didn't own slaves at some point from the time they stepped of the boat in colonial times.

Did you look up every branch of your family and how far back did you look? Just because your direct line didn't have slaves in 1850 or 1860 doesn't mean that they or one of your maternal lines didn't own slaves at some point from the time they stepped of the boat in colonial times.

You are entirely correct. However, since I am an OWG (> 40) and I live in the South, it is axiomatic that my family tree doesn't fork. Accordingly, I felt pretty safe in my conclusion.

Some irony (?) given your avatar. It was a classic:

e31.jpg

Well, then, I stand corrected. dmcheatw, my sincere apologies to you, Sir, for my overreaction to your post and my lack of manners. My offer to you of free beer from years ago still stands.

Last edited:
You are entirely correct. However, since I am an OWG (> 40) and I live in the South, it is axiomatic that my family tree doesn't fork. Accordingly, I felt pretty safe in my conclusion.

You may be correct and I can't pretend to know your family. But I do a lot of genealogy work in the mountains of Western North Carolina and East Tennessee, neither of which ever had large slave populations, and I have to agree with the statement made earlier in the thread that if your family has lived in the South long enough the odds are very high that someone in at least one of your lines would have been a slaveholder at some point.

This is a really interesting book on the subject.

"The title of the book comes from one of the principal achievements of mitochondrial genetics, which is the classification of all modern Europeans into seven groups, the mitochondrial haplogroups. Each haplogroup is defined by a set of characteristic mutations on the mitochondrial genome, and can be traced along a person's maternal line to a specific prehistoric woman. Sykes refers to these women as "clan mothers", though these women did not all live concurrently. Indeed some "clan mothers" are descended from others (although not maternally). All these women in turn shared a common maternal ancestor, the Mitochondrial Eve."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Daughters_of_Eve

10171736_10102290557810671_7298936572315896072_n.jpg

I don't get why Batman cares so much. Are we supposed to be sorry for/proud of what our ancestors did 200+ years ago? It's not like we can help what happened.

Back