• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Affleck Email Problem

Probably true. Then again, there were still some slaves in the North in 1860.

Sure. But not nearly as many as in the South.

What a pussy. Unless all your relatives came from the post-Civil War Ellis Island boom, which is highly unlikely, you are highly likely to be related to slaveholders. You are also highly likely to be related to somebody who did nefarious shit on some other continent somewhere and people who did great things. That's what makes genealogy interesting. Affleck seems like a pretty smart dude, but I guess he lives in a bubble or with the hope of a political future where he has to control all information about himself.

my earliest relatives came from Germany in the mid-1700s and were Quakers. The rest were later german or swedes and never owned slaves. relatives fought in the Rev and Civil War (for the winners, obvi). genealogy research to back. it. up.

#southOUT suck it, losers!!111

my earliest relatives came from Germany in the mid-1700s and were Quakers. The rest were later german or swedes and never owned slaves. relatives fought in the Rev and Civil War (for the winners, obvi). genealogy research to back. it. up.

#southOUT suck it, losers!!111

#HolocaustIN

My brother did a lot of genealogical research on our mother's family (Pitt Co., NC). According to a will, they had one slave back in the early 1800's. I'm glad my mother passed away before hearing that.

Both my mother and my fathers lineage are straight from the Netherlands. My dad's mother and father both immigrated and I believe it was my mothers great great grandparents that immigrated. I don't think my family history is very exciting from what I know.

My brother did a lot of genealogical research on our mother's family (Pitt Co., NC). According to a will, they had one slave back in the early 1800's. I'm glad my mother passed away before hearing that.

Slave owning was a common practice among those who could afford it. Any white family with roots in the South probably has a slave owning ancestor somewhere. The math just works out that way.

i would bet money many, many of the posters on OGB have ancestor(s) who were slave owners.

I would bet money that every single person here has at least one embarrassing living relative. It's just a blogspam story that should not even be published.

"After 1812, and until 1850, maintaining the balance of free and slave state votes in the Senate was considered of paramount importance if the Union were to be preserved, and states were typically admitted in pairs."

"Though ratified in 1995, the state never officially notified the U.S. archivist, which kept the ratification unofficial until 2013, when Ken Sullivan contacted the office of Secretary of State of Mississippi, Delbert Hosemann, who agreed to file the paperwork and make it official."

Did not know either of these bits of knowledge.

"After 1812, and until 1850, maintaining the balance of free and slave state votes in the Senate was considered of paramount importance if the Union were to be preserved, and states were typically admitted in pairs."

"Though ratified in 1995, the state never officially notified the U.S. archivist, which kept the ratification unofficial until 2013, when Ken Sullivan contacted the office of Secretary of State of Mississippi, Delbert Hosemann, who agreed to file the paperwork and make it official."

Did not know either of these bits of knowledge.

So wait a second...MS wasn't an official state in the Union until 2013. Delbert Hosemann better make sure this story doesn't come out. He is likely to be impeached.

I would bet money that every single person here has at least one embarrassing living relative. It's just a blogspam story that should not even be published.

UNCG Deac's nieces and nephews agree.

So wait a second...MS wasn't an official state in the Union until 2013. Delbert Hosemann better make sure this story doesn't come out. He is likely to be impeached.

Apparently they just forgot to ratify (officially) the 13th amendment.

"In 1995, it symbolically ratified the Thirteenth Amendment, which had abolished slavery in 1865."

Slave owning was a common practice among those who could afford it. Any white family with roots in the South probably has a slave owning ancestor somewhere. The math just works out that way.

No doubt true, but still a shock to see written evidence of it. Along those lines, my brother has also traced that side of the family back to their English roots. He once called me to tell me we were related to Edward I (Longshanks). I didn't really give a shit about that and told him to let me know when he figured out we were related to somebody cool, like El Cid. He laughed and told me we were. The math works out that almost everybody has a royal something or other in their bloodlines. It's actually possible that almost everyone of European descent is related to Mohammed.

No doubt true, but still a shock to see written evidence of it. Along those lines, my brother has also traced that side of the family back to their English roots. He once called me to tell me we were related to Edward I (Longshanks). I didn't really give a shit about that and told him to let me know when he figured out we were related to somebody cool, like El Cid. He laughed and told me we were. The math works out that almost everybody has a royal something or other in their bloodlines. It's actually possible that almost everyone of European descent is related to Mohammed.

This is a really interesting book on the subject.

"The title of the book comes from one of the principal achievements of mitochondrial genetics, which is the classification of all modern Europeans into seven groups, the mitochondrial haplogroups. Each haplogroup is defined by a set of characteristic mutations on the mitochondrial genome, and can be traced along a person's maternal line to a specific prehistoric woman. Sykes refers to these women as "clan mothers", though these women did not all live concurrently. Indeed some "clan mothers" are descended from others (although not maternally). All these women in turn shared a common maternal ancestor, the Mitochondrial Eve."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Daughters_of_Eve

Definitely. I doubt I'm the only person on this board or on my block that can trace back to Charlemagne.

My dad did a lot of research over the years before the internet made it easy. There are some interesting stories and characters in my lineage, as there are in most peoples'. The lines in the Americas are plentiful and diverse, full of both northerners, southerners, and the occasional injun. There are some great stories in there, and some not so great.

I don't know much of anything past great grandparents. Would be interesting to know, but I'm sure adoptions throw it out of whack.

Less than two percent of people in the US in 1860 owned slaves.

that's kind of what I mean, general population compared to the posters on this board, the number is probably many times that. i used fairly simple reasoning to reach this conclusion, but i don't have time to explain it for the moment.

anyway i started some debating haha.

I'm pretty sure that one side of my family owned slaves given their standing at the time of the Civil War and the length of time they've been in North Carolina.

Back