• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

After the Women's March: Forward

Swing Left

Swinging the House is a long shot, but 2020 is so far away, gotta fill the time until then!

The reality is, given the past turnout for Dems in the midterms, they're more likely to lose seats in 2018 before even having a shot to gain them back in 2020.

Breaks my heart to see Alabama's 2nd district still in the hands of Martha Roby. I worked on a campaign in that district in 2010, right as all the hate for Obama was coming to a head. No matter how much crap I heard on the telephone and in person about Dems, I never talked to a single person that didn't like my candidate. Too bad Alabama allows for straight ticket voting, so most people probably never even looked at the candidates. Our entire campaign had to be re-focused to say "Well, just remember that X is a Democrat, so please don't vote straight ticket!"

Last edited:
The reality is, given the past turnout for Dems in the midterms, they're more likely to lose seats in 2018 before even having a shot to gain them back in 2020.

Breaks my heart to see Alabama's 2nd district still in the hands of Martha Roby. I worked on a campaign in that district in 2010, right as all the hate for Obama was coming to a head. No matter how much crap I heard on the telephone about Dems, I never talked to a single person that didn't like my candidate. Too bad Alabama allows for straight ticket voting, so they never even looked at the candidates.

signed up 100k ppl in 4 days on swingleft

turnout is absolutely going to rise in midterms this go round--dems got the wakeup call they needed

I went to a meeting of over 100 pissed off local progressives here in Alabama on Saturday who are organizing a political movement. They are organizing letter writing campaigns and phone calling campaigns to local state and federal legislators and they are looking for people to run for office. I volunteered to be the co-leader of their environmental focused committee and our first task was to recruit people to call congress about HR 621 and 622, bills that will make way for the sale of public lands or transfer public land to the states. And we are also sending a delegation to the next city council meeting where making our city more bike friendly is on the agenda. It felt really good to be apart of a group and to try and turn all this negative energy into some action.

I'm cool with that. Though it would have been nice had they shown up in November as well. I mean, the Dems ran a shite ass candidate, but at some point you have to get used to voting for the lesser of 2 evils. Sorry Ralph Nader.

I'm old now. I was nine when my father first said this to me.

Edit: My most trusted friend bussed up to DC with her two daughters. Said it was "fantastic."

Last edited:
trump is so divisive it's actually unifying otherwise unrelated political movements in their opposition. there were just as many global protests against trump as there were in celebration of obama eight years ago.

it is civic duty to squash this mickey mouse horse shit before any of it gets off the ground. the first 100 days will set the tone. opposition must be relentless until he is politically destroyed.

I'm a revolutionary. I told my Democratic friends that I thought Trump would be impeached by the Republicans in time to save the 2018 elections. Now, I'll be surprised if he makes it to Labor Day.

Bob, you should add some context to these clips. I have no idea who these women are. Why I should care about their conversation?

Bob, you should add some context to these clips. I have no idea who these women are. Why I should care about their conversation?

Ayaan Hirsi is a feminist who is well known for wanting to reform Islam, has faced death threats, been on Bill Maher, etc. As the host says, the other woman was one of the main people behind the Woman's March- interviewed in the NY Times, etc.

Lol- one of the main people behind a worldwide march of millions of people.

Its getting sad around here. Step up your game.

Back