• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Aikman: NFL may not be the biggest sport in America in 20 years (NWT)

I miss hard hits

66427d3982a0dfa1ab4c3ae177f4cc97.jpg

Ask Johnny Knox about hard hits

I know some of you guys won't want to admit it, but Nascar may be the one to pass it. The NFL is lucky that it only goes up against a handful of Sunday races since the Nascar season is in the home stretch when the NFL starts. However, I would be curious to see the ratings comparison between games on at the same time as a Nascar race on Sunday for the past few years.

Football may not be as popular, but I don't see another sport passing it.

Sports in general are just losing interest because of the great amount of alternative entertainment experiences.

I agree and I disagree. Some people might be losing interest in sports because there are so many options, but sports are basically the only type of entertainment (aside from some a few TV shows) that are basically appointment viewing. Watching sports on replay is virtually impossible with Twitter, Facebook, ESPN mobile, etc etc. Watching a game once you know the score is a much worse viewing experience. Hardcore sports fans are forced to schedule their lives around sporting events and it even forces some moderate fans to regularly schedule their lives around sports due to the fear of missing out. In addition, if you are unable to watch the event live, there are so many ways now to keep up with what happened, making it much easier to follow a team throughout the season.

I'd argue that sports will become an increasingly large part of our culture (monetarily and psychologically) going forward.

I wonder how many people will actually enjoy sports themselves twenty years from now. It's so much easier to be a great golfer in front of a video screen.

Obviously, the biggest sport in America will soon be Full Metal Jousting. Everything else is just filler.

the one thing that i agree with aikman on is that the nfl should be concerned with over-exposure. i think one of the appeals of pro football is the fact that there are only 16 games/week and 90+% of them are played on a single day.

that being said, i think football has solidified itself as our new national pasttime and i dont see that changing anytime soon.

I know some of you guys won't want to admit it, but Nascar may be the one to pass it. The NFL is lucky that it only goes up against a handful of Sunday races since the Nascar season is in the home stretch when the NFL starts. However, I would be curious to see the ratings comparison between games on at the same time as a Nascar race on Sunday for the past few years.

I thought the ratings for NASCAR were declining?

...[see below]

I think the decline of colelge basketball will only serve to hurt the NBA long term.

Ambitious causal relationship hypothesized. (Because of course it has nothing to do with the significant majority of college coaches underachieving despite not having NBA-caliber talent.)

When you're churning a bunch of kids in and out of the league by the time they're 22 years old, it makes it difficult for the fans to become attached to the players.

How so? It's also worth noting that the NBA is more popular now than it has been since the last crop of legends retired in the late 90s.

Having those kids in college for 2-3 years helps to give them an identity, whch is more important in basketball than football.

How so? I'd argue that Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, etc. all have pretty well-formed identities at this point.

What constitutes this identity? What does it look like?

How many pro football players have the same sort of appeal/identity? It's not just about the helmets...

Not to mention the fact that they might actually learn how to play the game.

Look at the proportion of productive preps-to-pros players relative to the proportion of productive college seniors in the NBA and get back to me.

Last edited:

I thought the ratings for NASCAR were declining?

NASCAR tv ratings and attendance are both in serious decline. teams are also laying off lots of people.

other than that, spot on!

If games were somehow more intereactive, you might keep people coming into the stadiums.

One idea would be to have TVs with instant replay in the seats or much better wifi so you can watch the replays on your phone. Perhaps, you could have Redzone running at the same time as the game.

Correct.

He's wrong. Football will be more popular in 20 years than it is now. The only problem for football is that people might eventually wise up and decide that they don't want to risk head injuries for their kids and stop putting them out there at six years old. But even that won't stop people from watching other people get the brains bashed in.

Yep, another casuality of the pussification of the US. Will they start handing out trophies for NOT playing?

Nascar had its run. It didnt catch on with people who dont have mulletts or drink budweiser. It'll never be America's number one sport.

He missed the main reason I think the NFL will see decline...bad product. This year is proof that in the NFL average (or worse) can win a championship. I as big of a sucker as anyone when it comes to the NFL but I realize there are VERY few good teams left, a ton of mediocre teams and a bunch of bad teams. The strive for parity is what is killing the NFL IMO.

pos rep to the aikman not right in head tag

Yep, another casuality of the pussification of the US. Will they start handing out trophies for NOT playing?

You've got to be kidding me. Ripping on parents for not wanting to risk their kids ending up with debilitating brain damage from football?? If you don't understand the serious risk football as a sport has right now as a result of head injuries at all levels, you might want to do some reading:

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/f/football/head_injuries/index.html

Back