• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Aikman: NFL may not be the biggest sport in America in 20 years (NWT)

I know some of you guys won't want to admit it, but Nascar may be the one to pass it. The NFL is lucky that it only goes up against a handful of Sunday races since the Nascar season is in the home stretch when the NFL starts. However, I would be curious to see the ratings comparison between games on at the same time as a Nascar race on Sunday for the past few years.

NASCAR's ratings have been steadily declining.

Wow, milhouse only beat you to the punch by three hours. Either you're getting better or he's slipping.

I here NASCAR's ratings and attendance are in steady decline.

If games were somehow more intereactive, you might keep people coming into the stadiums.

One idea would be to have TVs with instant replay in the seats or much better wifi so you can watch the replays on your phone. Perhaps, you could have Redzone running at the same time as the game.

The NFL has addressed that by building stadiums with more luxury skyboxes.

I think the fears of oversaturation are unfounded. The Thursday night NFL Network game is typically a throwaway game that would otherwise be on Sunday at 1:00 and available mostly in home markets. I wouldn't get worried about it.

I'm surprised no one else has said this but the NFL's biggest competition is college football. If BCS and conference expansion gets sorted out, a viable college football playoff would dwarf late season NFL in the ratings.

I say there will be a combination of MMA and the TV show Wipeout in the next twenty years. Instead of an empty pool, losers will fall into a moat filled with baby alligators. The baby gators will be big enough to draw blood but not take an arm, leg or kill the loser.

I think the NBA has the best chance. Especially once they get a new commissioner.

Where are all of these excited NBA fans? Yes, the NY media has pumped up Lin. And yes, in NBA cities, their fans care. The rest of the country could give a flip. College football is what would surpass the NFL in interest, but I fully expect Delaney, Slive and company to screw that up soon as well.

the nfl sucks. he's right. oversaturation, declining product, etc. will hurt the nfl in the longrun. the only thing bouying the nfl at this point is fantasy football and it's huge marketing pull (because it's a 3 1/2 hour commercial). that isnt good. it also doesnt have worldwide appeal unlike the nba and mlb.

He missed the main reason I think the NFL will see decline...bad product. This year is proof that in the NFL average (or worse) can win a championship. I as big of a sucker as anyone when it comes to the NFL but I realize there are VERY few good teams left, a ton of mediocre teams and a bunch of bad teams. The strive for parity is what is killing the NFL IMO.

Wow. You're still bitter the Giants won, huh? Giants, when healthy, were an excellent team.

Time to get over it. Your team sucks.

the nfl sucks. he's right. oversaturation, declining product, etc. will hurt the nfl in the longrun. the only thing bouying the nfl at this point is fantasy football and it's huge marketing pull (because it's a 3 1/2 hour commercial). that isnt good. it also doesnt have worldwide appeal unlike the nba and mlb.

Declining product? How so?

Cowherd basically said the same thing (minus the worldwide appeal of MLB -- Japan, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America + Venezuela, sure, but worldwide?).

Called the NFL a $90 stock that should be selling for $80 and soccer an $8 stock that should be selling for $30. He did also say, however, that the NFL's survival doesn't necessarily hinge on a worldwide audience. And he completely agreed about the NBA, calling basketball and soccer the world's biggest "fan" sports.

Declining product? How so?

more commercials because of increased replays. more and more injuries to star players hurting the talent level. the resulting increase of rules that limit the game to try to make an awfully dangerous game less so. too much parity. too many playoff teams that generate revenue because of more games but make the regular season matter less (see 9-7 team winning the super bowl).

if you dont think these are concerns i dont kno what to tell you. my friend group in college consisted of a bunch of huge sports fans that entered college big nfl fans (went to the bar to watch games, wore team merch, etc) and almost all of us barely even watch on sundays these days. yes, more chicks and "average fans" are around now than 5 years ago, but i know a large number of football fans that just dont care about the nfl anymore. you may, others here may, but i dont think the sport is trending in the right direction with everyone.

NASCAR has seen consistently declining tv ratings and attendance numbers

more commercials because of increased replays. more and more injuries to star players hurting the talent level. the resulting increase of rules that limit the game to try to make an awfully dangerous game less so. too much parity. too many playoff teams that generate revenue because of more games but make the regular season matter less (see 9-7 team winning the super bowl).

if you dont think these are concerns i dont kno what to tell you. my friend group in college consisted of a bunch of huge sports fans that entered college big nfl fans (went to the bar to watch games, wore team merch, etc) and almost all of us barely even watch on sundays these days. yes, more chicks and "average fans" are around now than 5 years ago, but i know a large number of football fans that just dont care about the nfl anymore. you may, others here may, but i dont think the sport is trending in the right direction with everyone.

I thought you were specifically talking about talent and the game itself. I agree those are concerns. Not sure what they can do about them. There is demand from advertisers for more commercials. Replay is necessary to regulate the game effectively. Injuries are part of the game and rules to limit them make sense. Parity helps sell the product to all 32 markets and the entire fan base. Having 12 playoff teams is actually a smaller playoff that the NBA and NHL and isn't MLB expanding to 12 teams eventually? If not, they will. The regular season matters enough. The Giants were a good team down the stretch and continued to play well. Nothing wrong with that.

The touchdown, commercial, kickoff, commercial shit was the beginning of the end.

Yep, another casuality of the pussification of the US. Will they start handing out trophies for NOT playing?

The study comes on the heels of data that the two schools released Wednesday that detail more than 700 head impacts measured on seven boys from ages 5 to 8 in Virginia last year. The report found that some of the boys experienced head impacts that were 10 times their body weight, Stitzel said.

"Those are the kind of impacts that college and NFL players experience on a fairly regular basis, so it was an eye-opener that these things were possible in Pop Warner kids," he said.

From this article: http://www2.journalnow.com/news/201...ayers-will-participate-in-head-im-ar-1961460/

I hear all this talk about NASCAR but to you realize their TV ratings and attendance has been in decline for you years?

Back