• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Aikman: NFL may not be the biggest sport in America in 20 years (NWT)

college football is not a viable threat to the nfl.

the nfl has a stranglehold on the entire northeast. new york, philly, boston. likewise, with chicago in the midwest.

college football is very weak in those areas. as long as the nfl controls new york, etc and college is dominant in alabama and mississippi, the nfl will be the monster that it is. whatever controls the northeast, controls the media and will dictate the money.

college football is not a viable threat to the nfl.

the nfl has a stranglehold on the entire northeast. new york, philly, boston. likewise, with chicago in the midwest.

college football is very weak in those areas. as long as the nfl controls new york, etc and college is dominant in alabama and mississippi, the nfl will be the monster that it is. whatever controls the northeast, controls the media and will dictate the money.

If there was a college football tournament, that would bring in a lot of interest from large urban areas that don't have BCS conference programs.

If there was a college football tournament, that would bring in a lot of interest from large urban areas that don't have BCS conference programs.

i just dont buy it.

Look at March Madness compared to the college hoops regular season.

Heck, if there was a viable fantasy college football option or some other way to legally "gamble" on college football, it would help it take off.

Look at March Madness compared to the college hoops regular season.

Heck, if there was a viable fantasy college football option or some other way to legally "gamble" on college football, it would help it take off.

Dude. What college football team is comparable to Cuse, UCONN, etc. etc. in teh Northeast?

NFL Network will hurt them too. Most people can't even watch the Thursday night game so what's the point in showing it?

Dude. What college football team is comparable to Cuse, UCONN, etc. etc. in teh Northeast?

I'm talking about factors that would make college football as national as the NFL instead of being a collection of regional sports. A national tournament would do that.

I'm talking about factors that would make college football as national as the NFL instead of being a collection of regional sports. A national tournament would do that.

But part of what makes the NCAA tourney national is the regional draws. The other big factor is, of course, gambling that's relatively easy even for n00bs. that would be very, very hard for football to duplicate.

What would be hard for football to duplicate? 16 team playoff. Simple.

64 (68) team bracket gambling >>>> any other gambling.

68 team bracket gambling >>>> 16 team bracket gambling >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wild Card playoff gambling

picking a 16-team football tourney is infinitely easier than a 64 team bball tourney. for one, the best team wins more in football. and two, there are way less games and thus less chance for crewy outcomes. that's why the tourney brackets are so great. men, women, and children can all have a chance pretty much no matter how they do it.

68 team bracket gambling >>>> 16 team bracket gambling >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wild Card playoff gambling

that's a valid point, but i still dont think gambling on playoff games is what carries the nfl. huge market shares and huge marketing campaigns carry the nfl in the playoffs (as well as good will built due to fantasy).

The NBA is where it is at these days. Lots of young, exciting talent.

Might as well give up on the NFL now since Killa Cam is going to have the league on lock for the next decade.

Of course. I'm saying that college football could develop an edge that the NFL does not have. You could see men, women, and children filling out a BCS Tournament bracket who wouldn't have a fantasy team or play moneylines week to week. A BCS Tournament would do well over fantasy playoffs in December/early Jan.

that's a good point. i don't think that would be enough to donk off the NFL unfortunately. i think it'd have to be one of the more worldwide sports stealing marketshare. hopefully americans just grow a brain, put down the ADD meds, and get back on the national pastime. i doubt that, though, as the pugilistic nature just isnt there, and we're getting dumber by the day.

lol

"A fatty that lives in a 1 bedroom condo doesn't have the kind of friends that would watch the NFL"

this is good considering teh bulk of nfl fans are fat, working class folks.

I know you're a big baseball fan, but baseball is never going to be the top sport in the US unless they overhaul and speed up the game. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but its just how viewership has changed.

I think the NFL should be concerned. For me, I can't just sit and watch football on Saturday and Sunday with family obligations. I have to choose. Most weekends I choose Saturday because I can watch several games at a time straight from noon to 1 am.

Back