• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Aikman: NFL may not be the biggest sport in America in 20 years (NWT)

I know you're a big baseball fan, but baseball is never going to be the top sport in the US unless they overhaul and speed up the game. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but its just how viewership has changed.

i realize that, and im absolutely fine with it. i do think it's funny that what used to be america's biggest sport and the world's biggest sport are now considered to be slow by a lot of america. the funny thing is i think football is infinitely more slow than both. they are longer with way less game action than either sport. as such, i dont get the "slow" comment. perhaps "uneventful" is what you mean but i enjoy the intricacies of pitcher pitching than running back run for 1 yard or qb drop back for incomplete pass. more "events" happen in baseball than football. more scoring chances happen. it just isnt violent. that's the biggest differnce i see.

I think the NFL should be concerned. For me, I can't just sit and watch football on Saturday and Sunday with family obligations. I have to choose. Most weekends I choose Saturday because I can watch several games at a time straight from noon to 1 am.

i think this is a big part of it for me as well. the games are so long, and there are so many that i just cant care.

and please dont take that as me assailing the taste of football fans. i used to be one. i used to love playing it to. it just doesnt click for me anymore, and i now wonder why it ever did. the only thing i can come up with is the community identifying it builds. coming in on monday, discussing the local team, etc. now that i live in dc, with a shit team and everyone from all over, that aspect is lost on me.

i realize that, and im absolutely fine with it. i do think it's funny that what used to be america's biggest sport and the world's biggest sport are now considered to be slow by a lot of america. the funny thing is i think football is infinitely more slow than both. they are longer with way less game action than either sport. as such, i dont get the "slow" comment. perhaps "uneventful" is what you mean but i enjoy the intricacies of pitcher pitching than running back run for 1 yard or qb drop back for incomplete pass. more "events" happen in baseball than football. more scoring chances happen. it just isnt violent. that's the biggest differnce i see.

America has gotten faster while baseball has stayed slow. I understand your comparison and how football is also slow. The big difference is that a baseball play involves one action and 3 people. A football play involves several actions and 22 people. It's easier to fill time between plays with replays. Technology has really helped give us camera angles and access that makes the game easier to appreciate. Baseball technology has improved as well, but there's only so much you can say and show about a pitch.

Are NFL games longer than MLB games on average? Aren't they both about 3 hours?

America has gotten faster while baseball has stayed slow. I understand your comparison and how football is also slow. The big difference is that a baseball play involves one action and 3 people. A football play involves several actions and 22 people. It's easier to fill time between plays with replays. Technology has really helped give us camera angles and access that makes the game easier to appreciate. Baseball technology has improved as well, but there's only so much you can say and show about a pitch.

baseball plays only involve 2 people if you ignore what the defenders and baserunners are doing when they dont touch the ball. watching a potential basestealer is infinitely more interesting than watching a lineman runblock.

I mean it all comes down to a matter of taste. I don't see why people get defensive or denigrate other sports. It's like BKF railing on the NBA. People might as well be arguing about their favorite color.

the average MLB game last year was 2:50 whereas the average NFL game was 3:06 minutes. taht's almost 10% longer.

True. Then you have to come back tomorrow and do it all over again. MLB games are almost 10% shorter but there's also 10x more MLB games, thus each NFL game means 10x more than a MLB game.

baseball plays only involve 2 people if you ignore what the defenders and baserunners are doing when they dont touch the ball. watching a potential basestealer is infinitely more interesting than watching a lineman runblock.

I guess, but linemen block on every play. Some baseball games can go an hour or so without a baserunner.

Yeah, I love that catcher-less baseball.

True. Then you have to come back tomorrow and do it all over again. MLB games are almost 10% shorter but there's also 10x more MLB games, thus each NFL game means 10x more than a MLB game.

couldnt disagree more here. 9-7 in the nfl means you look at the tie-breakers and such to determine which 9-7 team makes it. 90-72 in baseball means you get a chance to play in the case of a tie. id say every baseball game means just as much. it's always weird to me when people say having lots of games is a turnoff. "god, i love my team so much, but i hate that i get to watch them pretty much any night i want."

there are plenty of baseball plays where the catcher isnt involved in the "action."

Yeah, but those are typically plays when there is actual action occurring. rather than the pitcher and catcher throwing the ball back and forth.

couldnt disagree more here. 9-7 in the nfl means you look at the tie-breakers and such to determine which 9-7 team makes it. 90-72 in baseball means you get a chance to play in the case of a tie. id say every baseball game means just as much. it's always weird to me when people say having lots of games is a turnoff. "god, i love my team so much, but i hate that i get to watch them pretty much any night i want."

We're talking about growing the fanbase to include more casual fans, right? Baseball requires much more of an investment to be a fan which is difficult to maintain in a crowded market for the attention of consumers.

And you made my point. If two teams finish 9-7, we go back to the important regular season to determine which team was better. If two teams finish 90-72, the regular season was meaningless.

Back