• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alex Kinal - Punter

I don't understand anyone who is critical of Kinals effort last night. He was incredible. Total control over the game. He pretty much put it right where he wanted every time. 47.1 net ? That is ridiculous.

We need a catchy name for this new style of punting. I'm thinking Rollerball or KickAussie punting.

It's nice to see some innovation from the coaching staff (they need to innovate the hell out of that offense). I guess we shouldn't be too surprised it's coming from Scheier, after reading his tweets. He probably has a catchy name for it already.

Kinal will be 1st-team All-American this year. Book it.

Kinal toyed with ULM. When their return guys were back, he kicked low-liners that consistently rolled down field (which is harder than you think as punts off kick left, right or even backward) a few almost hit ULM defenders attempting block (WF will get a turnover or two that way this year). Then, when they adjusted their coverage, he kicked over their head. Very impressive effort. With that said, awful sign when the best part of the game is your punt team.

He's a good punter. He kicks the thing a mile in the air. TV doesn't do him justice. When he gets more experience and learns to control trajectory I think he's got a shot at playing Sundays. He hasn't been doing this very long.

I did not see that last night. Though he has mastered the Squibb punt ....just hope he clears the o line and does not hit the center in the ass.

I did not see that last night. Though he has mastered the Squibb punt ....just hope he clears the o line and does not hit the center in the ass.

Kinda hard to hit the o line. They spent most of the night on their asses

Kinal toyed with ULM. When their return guys were back, he kicked low-liners that consistently rolled down field (which is harder than you think as punts off kick left, right or even backward) a few almost hit ULM defenders attempting block (WF will get a turnover or two that way this year). Then, when they adjusted their coverage, he kicked over their head. Very impressive effort. With that said, awful sign when the best part of the game is your punt team.

True that. He is punting like the coaches want him to according to a pre-season article in the WS-J. Aiming to kick it where they ain't so to speak.

KINAL

The bright spot for Wake has been Kinal. Because of the offensive ineptitude he gets closer to the NCAA all time records. After week 1, he has 185 punts for his career for 7,528 yds. The career records are 322 punts for 13,621 yds. With 23 games left in his career, Kinal needs 137 punts for 6,093 yds to meet those records. That 6 punts per game with a 44 yd average. With Alex punting from our end of the field so often, he might just break the yardage record too. Now for records for a season, 101 punts for 4,138 yds, he need to avg 8.27 punts / 333.36 yds per game (43 yds per punt) to break these records. With F$U and Clemson, he'll probably match his ULM numbers. If that happens, he'll need 8 punt for 308 yds per game (38.5) to get the single season records too.

This is a sickening reminder of cheering for Chuck Ramsey's amazing punts back in the day.

I'm anxious to see if his style varies based upon the position of the returner in GW.

I think it will also vary depending on the playing surface. Wake and ULM both have that flu berry surface and the ball bounces/skips better than natural grass.

I have always thought that the best punters should go to the worst programs. What better way to get drafted than to punt 10,000 times in college? Glad we have a good one.

I'm anxious to see if his style varies based upon the position of the returner in GW.

According to a current player, the coaching staff fully expects teams to put 2 returners back (like ULM did late) by the 2nd to 3rd game. This is what they want, so there will be less pressure on the punt, more time to punt, and more time to get better coverage downfield. The coaches seem to be thinking 2 steps ahead and prepared for adjustments, which I love.

The interesting thing will be if the opposing team puts 2 returners back, with one deep and one shallow(to field a squib). I guess Kinal would just angle away from them, and have plenty of time to do so with less rush.

According to a current player, the coaching staff fully expects teams to put 2 returners back (like ULM did late) by the 2nd to 3rd game. This is what they want, so there will be less pressure on the punt, more time to punt, and more time to get better coverage downfield. The coaches seem to be thinking 2 steps ahead and prepared for adjustments, which I love.

The interesting thing will be if the opposing team puts 2 returners back, with one deep and one shallow(to field a squib). I guess Kinal would just angle away from them, and have plenty of time to do so with less rush.

If the ball is not kicked right at the up guy- while there is still good energy in the kick- scooping it up can be very high risk. Be interesting as you say- several teams over the weekend kicked the way we did- the end result was great but hard to get used to for all of us regarding to seeing high spirals as the ideal kick. 47.1 net is indeed ridiculous. Nice to see coaches who are not living in the past.

Would guess with two men back there will be a better chance to run fakes too.

Clawson raved about Kinal at the coaches luncheon today. Said he was doing exactly what they wanted and talked about how impressive he is at kicking lots of different types of kicks. He also talked about his selfless attitude. Lots of punters want to go to the nfl and only want to kick high spirals that turn over, cause that is what we are all used to and it looks pretty. Kinal doesn't care what the punt looks like, as long as it works. If they play deep, he will kick it low with roll/bounce. If they play short, he bombs it over their head. If they play two deep, he will kick low in between them. If they play 2 staggered (short and deep) he can either kick it low to the side of the deep man or kick it high and long over the short man. Clawson and Scheirer are expecting that teams will be using 2 and sometimes 3 return men. They are ready for this and hope they play 3 men, cause then there will be very little chance of punts being blocked and less men to impede the coverage guys, so Kinal will just bomb high ones with no return. Clawson said they have been using this technique for about 6 years. They seem to be very proactive with it.

Clawson raved about Kinal at the coaches luncheon today. Said he was doing exactly what they wanted and talked about how impressive he is at kicking lots of different types of kicks. He also talked about his selfless attitude. Lots of punters want to go to the nfl and only want to kick high spirals that turn over, cause that is what we are all used to and it looks pretty. Kinal doesn't care what the punt looks like, as long as it works. If they play deep, he will kick it low with roll/bounce. If they play short, he bombs it over their head. If they play two deep, he will kick low in between them. If they play 2 staggered (short and deep) he can either kick it low to the side of the deep man or kick it high and long over the short man. Clawson and Scheirer are expecting that teams will be using 2 and sometimes 3 return men. They are ready for this and hope they play 3 men, cause then there will be very little chance of punts being blocked and less men to impede the coverage guys, so Kinal will just bomb high ones with no return. Clawson said they have been using this technique for about 6 years. They seem to be very proactive with it.

It would be hilarious/awesome if Kinal forces teams to use THREE return men.

Back