• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alma Mater being banned at the end of Football Games.......

So the band wants to play it, the players are obviously expecting it, the fans want to hear it...and we're gonna just ban it. How is it possible to not know this is a tradition?

Next you'll tell me rolling the quad has been banned to save money on cleanup crew costs.

This is like what you'd here coming from the former Michigan athletic department.

Welcome to the new Wake Forest, comrade. In a related story, the Quad must now be referred to as Wellman Square.

Yeah, just like at UVA when they play "The Good Ole Song" it really kills the atmosphere and energy in the stadium. wtf? This is so dumb.

Not sure if its still the case, but the band used to be funded by the Athletics Dept rather than the Music Dept. Cutting their funding would be one hell of a threat.

Sounds like Casstevens is at it again,

This makes sense. Wellman effectively banned the fight song for four years by hiring [Redacted] (and thus eliminating any need to play it), so why not ban the alma mater too?

Idiotic if true.

I've not heard a person yet who's been less than royally pissed. I've never seen us unanimous on anything.

When a decision is even less popular than [Redacted], that tells you something.

Don't we still do that asinine "play the other team's fight song" bullshit? Does that not also kill our crowd's energy like right before kickoff, the time where we should be fucking building it?

We did on Thursday.

I just told Cumberland how bizarre it was to see a message board uniform on anything.

Maybe their hoping we will instead rush to the concessions to buy some food for the ride home. No, wait...

The things that bring me back to this board. So fucking stupid, AD.

There's a Wake marching band parody twitter?

Horrible decision. The alma mater is a Wake Forest tradition. Not playing it just separates alums from the institution that much more. When else would students even hear the alma mater if not after the games except for the baccaluareate, commencement, and a few other special events?

It's played before kickoff, but I doubt the students can hear it from the parking lot.

Seems the decision came from from higher up than the AD according to Mrs bandeac.

I really hope this whole story isn't true.

As far as it coming from higher than the AD, I don't see how that could be true. Who from the non-athletics side of the university cares this much about a small part of the game day experience?

I really hope this whole story isn't true.

As far as it coming from higher than the AD, I don't see how that could be true. Who from the non-athletics side of the university cares this much about a small part of the game day experience?

That's our entire point I believe. Why would anybody in the AD care either?

Back