• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Almost punched a guy last night

There was a guy in Winston that hung around Polo Rd that LOVED the "my car is out of gas and I need to get to pick up my daughter" story. I would just say I have a canister in my trunk and would be happy to spare a gallon or two. Almost always walked away without a word.

He used to hang outside of Elizabeth's at night a lot.

We fell for it the first time we went there freshman year.

The 2nd and 11th times, no such luck for the guy. I always tried to politely say "You've asked me this before" but a lot of friends would harass and scream at him. At least he's trying.

One Christmas season I was given a cash bonus, nothing big, like $200 in 20's. Anyways, I'm leaving my office building that day to walk across the street to another building and I'm stopped by a man "down on his luck." He needed Marta fare for his entire family and he admitted that he really "didn't trust white people" but he wanted to tell me his story.

I knew I had just been handed a wad of cash. He told me he needed marta fare for 5 people, I gave him a $20 and never saw the guy again. A part of me wishes he was telling a lie because he had a really sad story.

A few weeks ago I was approached in a parking lot by a guy asking for money. His was the typical story, he was out of gas, car around the corner, could I give him enough money to get gas to make it home. He said he'd give me his license as collateral and I could mail it back to him when he sent me the money back or some crap.

I usually just ignore, but I was meeting some people to go running and was about to lock my purse in the trunk of my car. I didn't want him to see me doing that after I'd just ignored his begging scam, so I caved and gave him $2. Once I was getting my wallet, he was like "$10 should get me home" and I was like "no, you can have $2." I still feel lame for having given in to the sob story. Hate hate hate begging. I've gotten major crap before from a friend in social work for this belief, but I'm always worried that the beggars will get violent.

I usually just tell whoever it is that I don't carry cash. However, there is a guy with no legs who will be outside my office every two weeks or so in a wheelchair begging. I'll usually give him $10 or $20, as figure he'd have to be in pretty deep on the con to cut his legs off to further his scam. I gave him $100 one year around Christmas so he has called me Santa Claus ever since.

There was a guy in Winston that hung around Polo Rd that LOVED the "my car is out of gas and I need to get to pick up my daughter" story. I would just say I have a canister in my trunk and would be happy to spare a gallon or two. Almost always walked away without a word.

That guy was also outside all Wake basketball/football games and would sometimes be downtown around midnight. Always the same story. My buddy once called him on his story at about 1 AM outside of Harpers. Gave him a $1 to go away and never bother him again, but only after liting into him for telling him a variation of the same story three times in one day.

on the DC Metro you'll have kids saying their bball team needs money for uniforms for some tournament. I read an article that was saying how prevalent the scam is and where basically these kids are pimped out by older dudes who promise them things like trips to the water park and such. They'll drop them off at a Metro station in the morning then pick them up at the end of the day.

That guy was also outside all Wake basketball/football games and would sometimes be downtown around midnight. Always the same story. My buddy once called him on his story at about 1 AM outside of Harpers. Gave him a $1 to go away and never bother him again, but only after liting into him for telling him a variation of the same story three times in one day.

Dang, that is one hard working hobo.

So, in short: You're an adult. You were sober. Another adult called you a name. And you seriously considered punching or even killing him?

MV5BMTQ1NTIxMTY5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODI3Mzg5._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

So, in short: You're an adult. You were sober. Another adult called you a name. And you seriously considered punching or even killing him?

Yes, he was using choice language, and was aggressive and threatening and for that I considered punching him. Part of why I did not (as stated earlier) is for fear that I could have killed him if I hit him hard enough or if he fell and hit his head, etc.

MV5BMTQ1NTIxMTY5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODI3Mzg5._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

Again, same challenge. Calling strangers derogatory names is not a way to make friends. I think Fatt's reaction is pretty normal. He got pissed off, ultimately he made the right decision and walked away.

Again, same challenge. Calling strangers derogatory names is not a way to make friends. I think Fatt's reaction is pretty normal. He got pissed off, ultimately he made the right decision and walked away.

I think a normal reaction would be to shake your head, walk away, and count your blessings that you're not in that guy's position.

Unless you're a super aggro, insecure aging frat star who can't handle being DISRESPECTED

I think a normal reaction would be to shake your head, walk away, and count your blessings that you're not in that guy's position.

Unless you're a super aggro, insecure aging frat star who can't handle being DISRESPECTED

That hurts. Especially coming from you.

I've been toying for the idea of begging with a sign that says "Need money for private island. Anything helps. God bless" and getting a Square for my Iphone just to see how much I could get.

well now you have to do it.

Back