• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alondes Williams -Tonight Wake’s Most Spectacular Wake around game I can recall

Alondes Williams looks like a mini- Lebron. I do not recall I have ever seen a Wake Player have such a spectacular game passing, shooting, and dunking. He must have had 6 TomaHawk dunks. Several amazing passes. Great cuts to the basket, game winning assist, Power offensive and defensive rebounds. Dude flat out was spectacular and under control. Dude’s BB IQ off the charts.

For the young guns, we had a team with Anthony Tucker, Chris King and especially Rodney Rogers who dunked like that essentially, every game.

We used to be good and with Forbes, will be again.

Might be a bit interesting to think about most spectacular dunks. Besides RRs 360, I'd add in Scooter Banks @ UNC

Jeff Teague over David Neal against Maryland.

LD Williams 1-handed alley-oop against GT.

Aminu at the end of a great fast break and between the legs assist from Ish Smith against Duke.

James Johnson against UNC. Or James Johnson from the free throw line which brought about this face

Trent Strickland alley oop vs. Cincinnati.

John Buck.

You can probably tell my favorite Wake Forest basketball era!

Aminu at the end of a great fast break and between the legs assist from Ish Smith against Duke.

James Johnson against UNC. Or James Johnson from the free throw line which brought about this face

John Buck.

How about Teague over Gavin Grant (State)? That was epic and I am still pissed that it was waved off for a “charge”.

Goddamn that 2008-2009 team was fun to watch.

John Buck.

Strickland's bricked 360 dunk against Duke. We can't talk about dunks without that one.

John Buck.

If my memory serves me right, Robert Siler hit his head on the rim and cut his eye area dunking. He could get up. He was one of the top running backs out of HS in the nation but elected to play hoops at Wake in the late 80s.

If my memory serves me right, Robert Siler hit his head on the rim and cut his eye area dunking. He could get up. He was one of the top running backs out of HS in the nation but elected to play hoops at Wake in the late 80s.

Before he destroyed his knee.

Josh Howard’s dunk against NC State deserves a mention.

Yep - thought of that one as well. Songaila had a similar one - and I think it was against State also. On both, they drove down the lane to surprisingly no resistance and then took off from around the dotted line and threw it down on a couple of defenders that were just a little too late on the help. Songaila's was definitely the more shocking, as I had no idea he had those kind of hops.

Yeah. That was definitely an all time great dunk. Songaila was an amazing offensive talent. Despite his “Mangler” nickname and propensity to get into foul trouble, he had a beautiful below the rim finesse game and deft shooting touch. He did not dunk much and he definitely didn’t throw down with power often.

Can’t find it but I remember it being something like this but from the elbow.

https://youtu.be/9w84mWlKoEg

He’d be incredible in today’s game. He shot 10-25 from deep his last two years before bigs were expected to do so. He shot over 50% from the field and 80% from the line every season. Averaged 17.9/8.1/2.6 as a senior and over 2 stls/blks.

Last edited:
Loved songaila. Still hate pete gillen.

I used to run into Gillen quite a bit in Charlottesville and never had anything but good interactions. Always gave me a Go Deacs when I was wearing Wake gear. Made a point of telling me how much he was going to miss Skip shortly after he passed away.

Wellman should have asked Gillen to be the interim coach immediately after Prosser's death. Feel like the whole next 15 years go better if we just started with Gillen that season instead of Gaudio.

That would have been a great idea.

Robert Siler went to Jordan-Matthews HS in Siler City. It was my dad's hometown and I remember going there to see Robert Siler play FB in the state playoffs after he had signed with Wake. On one TD he literally dove in from the 5 yard line.

I used to run into Gillen quite a bit in Charlottesville and never had anything but good interactions. Always gave me a Go Deacs when I was wearing Wake gear. Made a point of telling me how much he was going to miss Skip shortly after he passed away.

I'm sure he's a nice person. But his bs about songaila being a mangler and implying he was getting away with a ton of cheap fouls colored the rest of his career.

Back