• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

American Hustle

The acting was excellent. Jeremy Renner probably did the best job. Jennifer Lawrence's new boyfriend could be the new William Forsythe and be in hundreds of movies. Now that Christian Bale has done a Boston and NY accent, Philly must be next. Amy Adams was sexy and really good. Louis CK will be a ton of movies.

It captured the times well. My only negative was inconsistent pacing. This was a story that could really move quickly and had lags. I think if it had been about 1:50 versus 2:09 it would have been even better.

I don't want to tell everyone too much. It's definitely worth seeing. I'm not sure it's "Picture of the Year" good, but it's very good.

This.

I didn't find the pacing to be inconsistent. It was consistent throughout. The problem was that it tried too hard to be Scorcese but couldn't quite pull it off. He is the fucking master at the quick cuts and quick zooms. The entire movie was an obvious tribute to him, but at about 85-90% of his pace. It was like if you play a song at about 1/8th of a step down. It's the same song, but it just isn't quite right. Still, I enjoyed the movie. The acting was great, as already stated. Oddly enough, Bale was somewhat disappointing for me only because (1) he sets the bar so high for himself, and (2) I felt like he was just doing a DeNiro impression the entire time (which he unquestionably was...and it was a good impression).

I didn't find the pacing to be inconsistent. It was consistent throughout. The problem was that it tried too hard to be Scorcese but couldn't quite pull it off. He is the fucking master at the quick cuts and quick zooms. The entire movie was an obvious tribute to him, but at about 85-90% of his pace. It was like if you play a song at about 1/8th of a step down. It's the same song, but it just isn't quite right. Still, I enjoyed the movie. The acting was great, as already stated. Oddly enough, Bale was somewhat disappointing for me only because (1) he sets the bar so high for himself, and (2) I felt like he was just doing a DeNiro impression the entire time (which he unquestionably was...and it was a good impression).

So, once again I was correct.

She didn't. She also lost her "accent" form time to time in the movie.

Just because DeNiro played a gangster doesn't mean this was an homage to Scorsese. If it was it failed.

JLaw was cray cray.

Didn't love the movie as much as I thought I would. But did like it. And liked the characters. The clothing, hairstyles, music, lifestyle were fun.

Thought Amy Adams was especially good.

She didn't. She also lost her "accent" form time to time in the movie.

Just because DeNiro played a gangster doesn't mean this was an homage to Scorsese. If it was it failed.

It obviously was an homage to Scorsese. I don't even know how that's debatable. Look at his other films and then look at this one. One is not like the others.

DeNiro's role was very small, unless you count Bale imitating him the entire time.

I agree with you that Renner really kind of stole the show. Understated but emotional role for him. Everybody else was great, but they kind of lacked any subtlety to their characters (except for Adams). Kudos to the two character actors from Boardwalk Empire too... Richard and Eli.

This movie is number one on my Holiday must see list. JLaw my god.

Must be a generational divide because Amy Adams looks super smoke in the commercials.

Lots of Amy Adams side boob in the flick. Only weird thing is that she is so pale to the point of being translucent. Not the best thing to view on the big screen, but her bod was tight.

Just part of the package with redheads.

Must be a generational divide because Amy Adams looks super smoke in the commercials.

Both looked great. All in on Amy Adams. Must have been freezing the entire filming.

I thought Amy Adams was smoke in this movie, more so than anything else I've seen her in.

Greatly enjoyed the flick through and through. I immediately went home from the theater and dug out my copy of Ellington Live at Newport after hearing "Jeep's Blues" a couple of times in the movie.

Gotta see this, did anyone start a Wolf of WS thread?

Christian Bale is the best...

Irving is a damn masterpiece; the mannersims, the accent, the vibe

He was a complete sleazeball yet he was likeable and you wanted him to win at the end.

Saw this last night. Found it enjoyable. Well-made movie, great character development. A little too long and not an awesome payoff, but it was fun to watch. Must-see if you're into Amy Adams sideboob.

I think Louis CK was great, but that bit was overplayed. From the interviews he's done, I'm not sure he's likely to be in "a ton of movies."

Last edited:
Back