• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Americans becoming less religious due to conservative politics

At least once a week you should concern yourself with something eternal that is not directly related to filthy lucre. Don't take the easy way out living a slothful life of heathen substance abuse. The inability of pierced and bearded hipsters to delay gratification is one reason this country is on the bannana peel.

I'd argue that the entitlement complex (and therefore inability to delay gratification) of America's #olds is why this country is on a banana peel. It is your generation that has us in $16T worth of debt, right?

You throw in the Judeo-Christian belief that we should be saving the heathens of the world from themselves with our military, and that covers most of that number.

Last edited:
I'd argue that the entitlement complex (and therefore inability to delay gratification) of America's #olds is why this country is on a banana peel. It is your generation that has us in $16T worth of debt, right?

You throw in the Judeo-Christian belief that we should be saving the heathens of the world from themselves with our military, and that covers most of that number.

You are so right about the love children of the 1960s. Unfortunately, the mellinials will be going far beyond even where the greedy, selfish boomers went. I don't really think it is Judeo-Christian religious belief that causes the US to have expensive military presences all over God's green earth. It is more like neo-con religious belief.

I'm capable of doing all of the above without wasting half my Sunday being told a myth.

The pro is my shepherd; I shall not slice.
He maketh me to drive straight down green fairways;
He leadeth me safely across still water hazards.
He restoreth my approach shots;
He leadeth me in the paths of accuracy for my game's sake.
Yea, though I clip through the roughs
In the shadows of sand traps,
I will fear no bogies,
For His advice is with me.
His putter and irons they comfort me.
He prepareth a strategy for me in the presence of mine opponents;
He annointeth my head with confidence;
The cup will not runneth over.
Surely birdies and eagles shall follow me
All the rounds of my life,
And I will abide in the low eighties forever.

Now you understand where LK is coming from. He doesn't need God to break 80.

The pro is my shepherd; I shall not slice.
He maketh me to drive straight down green fairways;
He leadeth me safely across still water hazards.
He restoreth my approach shots;
He leadeth me in the paths of accuracy for my game's sake.
Yea, though I clip through the roughs
In the shadows of sand traps,
I will fear no bogies,
For His advice is with me.
His putter and irons they comfort me.
He prepareth a strategy for me in the presence of mine opponents;
He annointeth my head with confidence;
The cup will not runneth over.
Surely birdies and eagles shall follow me
All the rounds of my life,
And I will abide in the low eighties forever.

Low 80's my ass.

Posrep!

Now you understand where LK is coming from. He doesn't need God to break 80.

No, but if he could guarantee I would average 25 putts per round for life I would join the following.

Ran into this great quote today, figured it fit on this thread:

“My point, once again, is not that those ancient people told literal stories and we are now smart enough to take them symbolically, but that they told them symbolically and we are now dumb enough to take them literally.” John Dominic Crossan

Ran into this great quote today, figured it fit on this thread:

“My point, once again, is not that those ancient people told literal stories and we are now smart enough to take them symbolically, but that they told them symbolically and we are now dumb enough to take them literally.” John Dominic Crossan

You think the stories of the crucifixion, the resurrection, and the ascension were told symbolically?

You think the stories of the crucifixion, the resurrection, and the ascension were told symbolically?
I think they are more than literal stories, more transcendent than history, and in that sense, symbolic, yes. It's also a generalization, not specific to all genres equally.

I think they are more than literal stories, more transcendent than history, and in that sense, symbolic, yes. It's also a generalization, not specific to all genres equally.

I think what he was asking is 'do you think that Jesus of Nazareth around 30-33 AD literally died on a cross, physically raised himself from the dead, and ascended into heaven'.

I think what he was asking is 'do you think that Jesus of Nazareth around 30-33 AD literally died on a cross, physically raised himself from the dead, and ascended into heaven'.

LIKE A BOSS.

LIKE A BOSS.

Oh, mos def, he did it like a BOSS.

But yea, I think that Jesus lived in that range, was executed by Rome, and was Resurrected*.

*Resurrection, by definition, is beyond the limits of physicality, and I find the emphasis on "physical Resurrection" to be nonsensical, idolatrous, and problematic. I'm not saying it was a only a metaphor, but it was also bigger and different than reanimation, which is what a "physical" Resurrection is. As far as the Ascension, sure, I mean, on that level we're deal with things that are beyond the physical universe and it would be ridiculous for a finite being to claim certainty about the inner workings of the Infinite. How about putting it this way- I say the Creed every day and (literally) twice on Sundays, and never do I cross my fingers.

Oh, mos def, he did it like a BOSS.

But yea, I think that Jesus lived in that range, was executed by Rome, and was Resurrected*.

*Resurrection, by definition, is beyond the limits of physicality, and I find the emphasis on "physical Resurrection" to be nonsensical, idolatrous, and problematic. I'm not saying it was a only a metaphor, but it was also bigger and different than reanimation, which is what a "physical" Resurrection is. As far as the Ascension, sure, I mean, on that level we're deal with things that are beyond the physical universe and it would be ridiculous for a finite being to claim certainty about the inner workings of the Infinite. How about putting it this way- I say the Creed every day and (literally) twice on Sundays, and never do I cross my fingers.

No quitsies. Double stamp that.

Seems like some justification gymnastics in an effort to claim a problematic faith tradition that is culturally important to you, but I say that with a heavy dose of (former) self projection.

Seems like some justification gymnastics in an effort to claim a problematic faith tradition that is culturally important to you, but I say that with a heavy dose of (former) self projection.
It's actually just a systematic theology that takes seriously the idea of mystery, but I get how it might look that way from the outside.

Back