• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

America's White People Are In Deep Shit

Systems are in place to protect consumers in this case. They just aren't doing an effective job. That isn't the fault of the drug manufacturer, that is the fault of government. Don't advocate to punish big Pharma because our governments aren't providing the oversight they are supposed to be providing. Especially when punishing big Pharma is only going to further increase the cost of the drugs they manufacture.

YEAH Townie, if the government doesn't stop them from gouging customers and telling people their drugs safe, why should you care?

we've already detailed on this thread how the oxy manufacturer was forced to pay $600MM in fines for falsifying data about the safety and efficacy of their drug

was this bad?

As I've already said, if they are breaking the law, then they should be punished. Thank goodness the system in place eventually caught them in the act.

Last edited:
I think we're almost kind of in agreement that govt needs to do its job. Certainly when 2017 appropriations come up, we need to make sure CARA gets its funding.

The FDA approved fewer new treatments in 2016 than it did in a couple decades, so I think they're doing fine.
The CDC said we need to monitor distribution and cut down on overprescribing, so I think they're doing fine.

Patient safety committees in Congress though...they're falling down on the job. Because they took $ from pharma and that trump patient safety. Pharma shouldn't be "punished" for that, fine. Maybe we should take a look at those kinds of conflicts of interest though, especially in an administration that will have Person Who Hates Department X running Department X across the board.

I think we're almost kind of in agreement that govt needs to do its job. Certainly when 2017 appropriations come up, we need to make sure CARA gets its funding.

The FDA approved fewer new treatments in 2016 than it did in a couple decades, so I think they're doing fine.
The CDC said we need to monitor distribution and cut down on overprescribing, so I think they're doing fine.

Patient safety committees in Congress though...they're falling down on the job. Because they took $ from pharma and that trump patient safety. Pharma shouldn't be "punished" for that, fine. Maybe we should take a look at those kinds of conflicts of interest though, especially in an administration that will have Person Who Hates Department X running Department X across the board.

Yes, we are in agreement on that. Regulation is not the answer if existing regulations are not being enforced. You just end up with more unenforced regulations.

Another solution could be to go to states like West Virginia and make sure that the systems they have in place to monitor prescription drugs receive proper funding and oversight.

Yes, we are in agreement on that. Regulation is not the answer if existing regulations are not being enforced. You just end up with more unenforced regulations.

Another solution could be to go to states like West Virginia and make sure that the systems they have in place to monitor prescription drugs receive proper funding and oversight.

I think changing the regulations so they're above the influence of political money from pharma would make the regulations make more sense. West Virginia is a perfect example of what started all this. Dipshits like Senator Manchin are saying we need to declare a war on drugs, referring to weed, to stop the epidemic of opioid deaths.

About that:

'Suspicious' drug order rules never enforced by state

I just wanted to pop in and say that I've appreciated the reasoned and civil discourse on this thread.

So the users don't want to stop using.
The pharmacies don't want to stop selling.
The doctors don't want to stop prescribing.
The drug companies don't want to stop making, distributing, and promoting.
The states and federal government don't want to enforce.
Legislators don't want to regulate.

The users want jobs for unskilled workers.
The pharmacies want to keep their customers happy.
The doctors want to keep their patients happy.
The drug companies want to keep making $$$ without interference.
The governments want to ignore the problem.
The legislators want to blame the other party.

So how can this be fixed?

If you want a comprehensive assessment of where things are, while extremely long and meant as a guideline for physicians prescribing opioids, the background and summary puts the numbers for you.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/rr/rr6501e1.htm

1 in 5 people with noncancer pain symptoms are prescribed and opioid

Health care providers wrote 259 million prescription in 2012 for opioids, enough for every adult in the US to have a bottle.

Opioid prescriptions per capita increased 7.3% from 07-12

Prescribing rates in states do not reflect states health status of the population (meaning it's not tied to medical conditions)

Patients aged 15-64 receiving opioids for pain and followed up within 13 years reveal 1 in 550 die from opioid overdose (so opioids have a safety rate of 1 in 500, absurd for a drug)

50% of adolescents under 18 years of age are prescribed opioids when presenting with a headache

20% of adolescents prescribed opioids report then using their opioid prescription to get high or mix with alcohol

Use of opioids before the age of 18 results in 33% increase in risk of opioid abuse as an adult

So the users don't want to stop using.
The pharmacies don't want to stop selling.
The doctors don't want to stop prescribing.
The drug companies don't want to stop making, distributing, and promoting.
The states and federal government don't want to enforce.
Legislators don't want to regulate.

The users want jobs for unskilled workers.
The pharmacies want to keep their customers happy.
The doctors want to keep their patients happy.
The drug companies want to keep making $$$ without interference.
The governments want to ignore the problem.
The legislators want to blame the other party.

So how can this be fixed?

I don't think it's an issue of desire on the governmental enforcement. I would assume the enforcement is due to a lack of funding and/or general governmental inefficiency.

Some more good data. Over a 6 year period 780 million oxycodone and hydrocodone pills were shipped to West Virginia, the heart of the opioid crisis. That enough to give everyone in the state 433 pills.

Also the bigger underlying cause for the original need for pain prescriptions is the usual, obesity is out of control and upwards of 1 in 3 adults has chronic back pain.

As opioid deaths rise, pharma firm hikes price of antidote more than six-fold

Now a small Virginia company called Kaleo is joining their ranks. It makes an injector device that is suddenly in demand because of the nation’s epidemic use of opioids, a class of drugs that includes heavy painkillers and heroin.

Called Evzio, it is used to deliver naloxone, a life-saving antidote to overdoses of opioids. More than 33,000 people are believed to have died from such overdoses in 2015, and deaths soared at a record pace in 2016, including all over the Philadelphia area.

And as demand for Kaleo’s product has grown, the privately held firm has raised its twin-pack price to $4,500, from $690 in 2014.

ALL people, regardless of color or country of origin, need to get their shit together. If you rail for more two parent households and committing less crime, you really need to speak out about this.

Back