• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

America's White People Are In Deep Shit

Who's design is that? It's the Obama economy so,.. Obama?

It's capitalism designed by the people who have the most money.

The illusion of race has probably been the single most effective tool in keeping working-class folks from organizing in America.

you have to wonder if the shifting towards an overall more conservative america is partially an unconscious response to the phenomenon described in the OP. I imagine the people who Tuffalo references are likely to vote conservative, only deepening and compounding the problem. If you need to right the ship, it seems to me there would be a powerful tendency to keep things the same or even regress back to "the good ole days" (80s) when the ship (appeared) to be moving along just fine.

just thinking aloud.

No question. Of course, 45-54 year old jobless white people should be turning to Obamacare instead of heroin and Republicans.

you have to wonder if the shifting towards an overall more conservative america is partially an unconscious response to the phenomenon described in the OP. I imagine the people who Tuffalo references are likely to vote conservative, only deepening and compounding the problem. If you need to right the ship, it seems to me there would be a powerful tendency to keep things the same or even regress back to "the good ole days" (80s) when the ship (appeared) to be moving along just fine.

just thinking aloud.

So you think America is moving in a more conservative direction? Seems like virtually all of the laws passed are exactly opposite of that. marriage equality. Marijuana legalization. Increased spending on social programs. How is America becoming more conservative while the laws that have majority support are more liberal?

People who have the most money. Dumb question.

So this is what you quoted earlier which I have been responding to:

"That's a yes. Our economy is broken in that the people at the top have found too many ways to make money without involving everyone else. Any economic gains are going to be hoarded at the top by design. "

So the question is what changed and who changed it? You seem to be saying that all is the way it has always been except this time the recovery was only for the wealthy. What about the Obama recovery makes it worse for the lower end of the economy?

knowell, I'm not sure what you're missing. You keep quoting the answers to your questions.

"What about the Obama recovery makes it worse for the lower end of the economy?"
"people at the top have found too many ways to make money without involving everyone else."

knowell, I'm not sure what you're missing. You keep quoting the answers to your questions.

"What about the Obama recovery makes it worse for the lower end of the economy?"
"people at the top have found too many ways to make money without involving everyone else."

Put differently, what did Obama do wrong that Reagan or even Bush did correctly so that their recoveries included all income levels?

So you think America is moving in a more conservative direction? Seems like virtually all of the laws passed are exactly opposite of that. marriage equality. Marijuana legalization. Increased spending on social programs. How is America becoming more conservative while the laws that have majority support are more liberal?

not sure if america as whole i, but i do think america is getting more polarized, which means conservatives are moving rightward yes. u know before deregulation of the 80s this country did have a decent social safety net left over from the New Deal and WW2 benefits/programs.

not sure if america as whole i, but i do think america is getting more polarized, which means conservatives are moving rightward yes. u know before deregulation of the 80s this country did have a decent social safety net left over from the New Deal and WW2 benefits/programs.

Yep more polarization. Societies always advance on social issues as a group and that advancement generally tends to be one of inclusivity of previously marginalized groups and concepts.

Yep more polarization. Societies always advance on social issues as a group and that advancement generally tends to be one of inclusivity of previously marginalized groups and concepts.

bullshit.jpg

I would reject the premise of the question.

Yeah. It's the latest clown question from knowell.

I think you can make a convincing argument that presidents have less control over the economy than ever before due to the success of the conservative fight against government intervention.

But the best response to knowell is what I already posted.

Went down under Clinton, rose under W, and held under Obama.

Back