• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AMU is a legit school?

JLDeac

Reaction score
Good afternoon Deacon Demons! I am fairly new here to the OGBoards community (I've debated posting here before, but finally decided to due to a dispute with a coworker). I wanted to gain some insight into what all the thoughts are of the ogboards community regarding the American Military University / American Public University System.

I have a coworker that graduated from Wake Forest here in the Washington DC area, and he frequently belittles my Bachelor of Science that I worked to achieve from American Military University. I want to ask you a serious question. Is there really that much of a difference from AMU and colleges like UNC, NC State, and yes even Wake Forest? The use of internet in education is the way of the future and AMU holds the same accreditations as Wake Forest. Here are some of the reviews from other students here at AMU:

From ratemyprofessors

APU, more specifically AMU has been much more than I expected in all aspects including faculty, staff, students, facilities, organization, cost, and organization. It is truly the most excellent brick-and-mortar-like non-brick-and-mortar school you will find.

From studentsreview.com

Excellent school. Not a scam. Anyone who thinks this school is a scam has no idea what a scam is, they are likely just too idiotic to complete their work on time or actually read the material they are supposed to read. I have attended AMU since 2009. Finished my BA in 2013 and finish my MA JAN 2016. This school is very affordable, has an easy to learn atmosphere, and almost all of the instructors are knowledgeable and make themselves available to provide support. I have had an amazing experience at AMU and plan on taking several certificates at the school after my MA is complete. Are there bad teachers? Yes, there are bad teachers at any school you go to, but I have only had two that I can think of in my 6 years at AMU. Are there complete idiots attending this school? Yes, again, there are complete idiots at any school, but once you get into the graduate level courses, they are far and few. Is a degree from AMU worth anything? YES. I know several individuals who have degrees from AMU. They, and myself, have all been hired by individuals who looked at that degree as the reason for hiring.

Now, I ask you, if I was to take my undergrad for applying for a MS program at Wake, could I not get the same consideration as other students from brick and mortar schools? I would say yes. What do you say?

So this is one of those schools that's for profit and scams military veterans into spending their GI bills on a subpar education where many fail to graduate or receive a proper education. Going so far as to trick them into buying into the school by naming it the American Military University, the equivalent of renaming Budweiser America.

The main campus is located in Charles Town, West Virginia if you want to visit.

I don't see how we trick students into coming here. They are coming for a good education and they are getting one. People are accepted into Wake Forest and people are accepted into AMU. What's the real difference besides the extra $200,000.00 in student debt? I know that Wake Forest has been around for a long time, but we will eventually get to that point too.

Could you get the same consideration? Maybe.

Will you get the same consideration? No.

You just can't compare a top 25 national university with the #58 online university.

Your coworker kinda sounds like a dick. But he's right - his degree is more valuable than yours.

How old are you? Degrees really only matter in your twenties, after that it's all experience.

A wake degree will get you many more interviews than some no name online school - so you may start off slower than someone from a better school (and yes, the vast majority of schools are better schools), but it's still a degree and it's good that you got it.

Is this how far MSD has fallen? You all are arguing with a troll from a scam school.

Wake Forest have to apply to get in. AMU have to apply to get in.

Wake Forest highly sought out in applications. AMU one of the most heavily applied to schools in the nation.

Wake Forest private university not controlled by any state public institution. AMU private university private university not controlled by any state public institution.

Wake Forest heavy emphasis on liberal arts, with some applied sciences. AMU heavy emphasis on liberal arts, with some applied sciences.

At the end of the day, I had to write papers and stuff just like the rest of you to get my degree.

I am not a troll. I'm just trying to get some of the other Wake Forest crowds point of view. I see him go on this site all the time, when he should be working. So I know he is on here too.

I am not a troll. I'm just trying to get some of the other Wake Forest crowds point of view. I see him go on this site all the time, when he should be working. So I know he is on here too.

:popcorn:

How old are you? Degrees really only matter in your twenties, after that it's all experience.

A wake degree will get you many more interviews than some no name online school - so you may start off slower than someone from a better school (and yes, the vast majority of schools are better schools), but it's still a degree and it's good that you got it.

Okay so I figured out the quote thing.

I am in my twenties. That has been my main argument. A degree is a degree. It really doesn't matter where it came from unless your talking about Harvard or Yale.

If I wanted to, I probably could have gotten into a brick and mortar school too, but I was a contractor for the past several years and going to a supposed "traditional" school would have taken too much time that I didn't have to spare. AMU fit better into my busy schedule and is there really that much of a difference in the quality of education between AMU and most brick and mortars? I don't think so.

Back