• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

An alternate perspective

Wheredeac

Reaction score
I'll take the bzzout bait and offer an alternate perspective on today's loss for at least the sake of (civil) discussion. I am as disheartened as anyone with today's effort at the Joel but I'm not convinced the season is now at best a wash. I'm choosing to believe that today was a learning milestone for our players who continue to show progress at an age-appropriate rate. [Redacted] deserves the flack for today's loss but that doesn't negate the fact that his sophomore led team has made huge strides and largely has looked like a good basketball team.

Brian Gregory said it best in his post-game interview--our team was "hungover" from the loss to Syracuse Wednesday night and did not play like the team they had seen on film. The deacs sans Travis looked like a team of sophomores today. Youth is not an excuse but that's how we played today--immature and emotionally drained. Georgia Tech was the perfect trap game with the battle at Cameron coming up next week. My bet is the team viewed today's game as a cool down from Syracuse rather than a warm up to Duke. That is part on the coaching staff and part on the players. Either way, we looked like a team who was running on empty physically and mentally. We did not look like the Deac basketball team of late.

I also think we lost because Gt matched up well with our weaknesses: we don't have a true center (GT does) and we don't have a consistent threat behind the arc. It also didn't help that GT's guards were unconscious from behind the arc in the first half and we were stone cold. Combine our poor shooting with losing Codi to the ankle turn and Devon disappearing behind the ACC's best post defender (Miller) and there you have it--no inside presence and barely an outside shooting threat--we lose.

I'm not giving up on this team yet. After seeing Syracuse against Duke tonight, I'm more impressed with our performance of Wednesday night. IMO how the Deacs respond to the loss today will be more telling than how we responded to the Syracuse loss. I'll be cheering for a victory against Duke for our sophomore led team. They've done enough thus far in year two to earn my support beyond one eye-rolling loss.

Our sophmores have played (and in several cases, started) 50+ games. Youth is not a fucking excuse anymore.

We have largely looked like a good basketball team?!? How exactly?!? Who have we beaten that is any good? We've beaten one likely NCAA Tourney team (UNC) at a time when they were completely dysfunctional. Every other time we've played a good team, we've been beaten by double digits. Good, how exactly?

Last edited:
The team hasn't done squat. The best win of the season is UNC. After that, they've beaten a lot of bad teams.
The youth, shooter, and center problems lie squarely on Bz. You have to recruit at this level.

Support them all you want but realize that there are plenty of Soph's and Frosh winning all over the country. A true frosh PG on wednesday absolutely took over when he needed to vs us.

Our sophmores have played (and in several cases, started) 50+ games. Youth is not a fucking excuse anymore.

True and GT is absolutely horrible save for the big guy in the middle. Their top 2 guys were out and #11 was a turnover machine. We have no shooters at all.

Support them all you want but realize that there are plenty of Soph's and Frosh winning all over the country. A true frosh PG on wednesday absolutely took over when he needed to vs us.

Michigan is the only example in the top-25 with underclassmen who aren't typical "one and done" players winning big consistently. There are certainly other teams with effective underclassmen but no schools with a 3-4 year retention model who are making much bigger strides in year two than our 2016 class.

It's just so sad how easily some old white men can be brainwashed

Michigan is the only example in the top-25 with underclassmen who aren't typical "one and done" players winning big consistently. There are certainly other teams with effective underclassmen but no schools with a 3-4 year retention model who are making much bigger strides in year two than our 2016 class.
This post is just so wrong. So unbelievably wrong.

Horse shit I say; horse shit. Teams far younger than ours are winning and out coaching us on a daily basis.

Butlers 1st national title runner up was run by 2 sophmores that were recruited and never expected to be NBA players. But great coaching turned them into a national championship runner up and into NBA draft picks.

Horse shit I say; horse shit. Teams far younger than ours are winning and out coaching us on a daily basis.

Ok. Which teams? You're going to find several (San Diego State, Creighton, and Wichita State to name a few) who are junior/senior led and also have some effective underclassmen in a 3-4 year retention model like our current model.

Ok. Which teams? You're going to find several (San Diego State, Creighton, and Wichita State to name a few) who are junior/senior led and also have some effective underclassmen in a 3-4 year retention model like our current model.

Check out Utah's roster, champ. How have they been able to turn it around in 2 years when we still suck in year 4?

2 of Wichita States best players are Soph's this year and no one on that team was recruited as an NBA early entrant. San Diego State is not a school churning out the early entrants and has been pretty consistent with a good coach. Others like Gonzaga, St. Louis, Creighton, Temple (sans this year) have shown the ability to develop players into their 2nd year and beyond way more effectively.

You keep saying our current model. What is that model? As it stands, relying on the maturation of one large class into a marginal tournament team is completely unsustainable. If we are hanging our hearts on one class, what happens next? We have nothing save a promising point guard that lends itself to the idea that the current sophomore class is a step to something greater. If things continue the way they are with our current "model," '15-16 will be the pinnacle of Wake hoops for a decade.

Check out Utah's roster, champ. How have they been able to turn it around in 2 years when we still suck in year 4?

You mean the 14-7 Utes with 7 juniors on the roster who have lost three straight? Ok.

You keep saying our current model. What is that model? As it stands, relying on the maturation of one large class into a marginal tournament team is completely unsustainable. If we are hanging our hearts on one class, what happens next? We have nothing save a promising point guard that lends itself to the idea that the current sophomore class is a step to something greater. If things continue the way they are with our current "model," '15-16 will be the pinnacle of Wake hoops for a decade.

I'm with you on future recruiting. Obviously if he can't recruit consistently then we bring in someone who can. But the decision to hire [Redacted] was a change in recruiting philosophy to a 3-4 year model similar to Odom's.

Since when do we not want the one and done players that will help us compete for championships?

Wheredeac is clueless. Bless his heart.

besides CMM and Thomas, who in this 2016 class is worth anything? he gives us next to nothing despite starting and wouldn't be starting on a lot of other BCS programs.

Back