• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

An alternate perspective

Two of the key players starting today's Syracuse/Duke game are true freshmen. Four of the starting ten players in today's Duke game are sophomores.

Please. Please, stop with the "we're building" or "making strides" crap. You either recruit talent that can play the damn game at this level (we do not) or you suck and wallow in mediocrity for decades.

And, while we're at it, let's talk about player development of these "young kids". A responsible coach would have put his boot up Devin Thomas' ass six weeks ago. First, we had mouthing off at fans and alums with some snippy comment in the WSJ about fans not caring to show up. A clear reflection of his 60 year old coach's insecurities. Today, we still have a kid that hurts his team as much as he helps because he can't keep his emotions in check. Thomas is a talent who can be salvaged and molded and quite possibly be 1st team all ACC his senior season. With some leadership!

He needs a coach who knows what the fuck he is doing. He currently has no one and thus he's floundering just like the village idiot we hired to lead this rudderless ship who gives creepy back-rubs in practice!

Last edited:
Two of the key players starting today's Syracuse/Duke game are true freshmen. Four of the starting ten players in today's Duke game are sophomores.

Please. Please, stop with the "we're building" or "making strides" crap. You either recruit talent that can play the damn game at this level (we do not) or you suck and wallow in mediocrity for decades.

And, while we're at it, let's talk about player development of these "young kids". A responsible coach would have put his boot up Devin Thomas' ass six weeks ago. First, we had mouthing off at fans and alums
with some snippy comment in the WSJ. Today, we still have a kid that hurts his team as much as he helps because he can't keep his emotions in check. Thomas is a talent who can be salvaged and molded and quite possibly be 1st team all ACC his senior. With some leadership!

He needs a coach who knows what the fuck he is doing. He currently has no one and thus he's floundering just like the village idiot we hired to lead this rudderless ship!

Whatever Bz said to Travis before the another Dame game seems to have worked.

Ok. Which teams? You're going to find several (San Diego State, Creighton, and Wichita State to name a few) who are junior/senior led and also have some effective underclassmen in a 3-4 year retention model like our current model.

This year? Some of the programs with less experience that are having better seasons include:

Utah
Texas
Colorado
West Virginia
Maryland
Oklahoma
Clemson
Pitt
Nebraska
Utah
Xavier
BYU
Virginia

This of course doesn't include programs who are also less experienced but you would likely discount because of the 3-4 year retention model thing, like:
Syracuse
UCLA
Michigan
Arizona
UNC
Kentucky
Kansas
Indiana
Duke

Not even worth getting into a debate with this guy. Completely clueless.

Michigan is the only example in the top-25 with underclassmen who aren't typical "one and done" players winning big consistently. There are certainly other teams with effective underclassmen but no schools with a 3-4 year retention model who are making much bigger strides in year two than our 2016 class.

Everyone in the top 25 outside of Wichita State + Creighton (both junior and senior laden), Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Syracuse, and Arizona says hi.

this is for the record --- I love Wake Forest (just like everyone on this board) here is to making us a Basketball school once again

Our "progress" has been made against bad teams and teams missing starters. We haven't beaten any really good teams and our preseason schedule was a cupcake buffet. The meat of our schedule lies ahead. Check back at the end of February.

Dave brought in Rodney, Trelonnie and other good players I believe in year two, When they were sophs I believe we were in the NCAAs and competitive in the ACC. I held out till late last year before going over to Buzz out. Hos floor coaching mistakes put me over the top.

"An alternate reality" would be a more appropriate thread title.

We are so fucked when this monolithic sophomore class exhausts its eligibility.

I'm not sure why we are even talking top 25 teams anyway. Didn't we fine our way back out of the top 100 RPI?

Dave brought in Rodney, Trelonnie and other good players I believe in year two, When they were sophs I believe we were in the NCAAs and competitive in the ACC. I held out till late last year before going over to Buzz out. Hos floor coaching mistakes put me over the top.

Those two along with Childress made the NCAAT as freshmen in '91.

Back