• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anatomy of the Collapse of a Failed City

I agree it is an insulting attitude, and that's why I would prefer policies that enable and empower people, rather than those that entrap them.

Using the rhetoric as you are is far more insulting than providing assistance to those in need.

On behalf of your unborn grandchildren who are about to inherit $25T in debt they had nothing to do with and will not benefit from in any way, I want to congratulate you and the 34.8% of the United States that is currently obese on your victory against hunger.

]

Now you're insinuating poor people are fat and greedy.

How many topic changes do we have from jhmd on this thread? His agility is astounding

Using the rhetoric as you are is far more insulting than providing assistance to those in need.

When I argue that people who are in need have the ability to provide for themselves at a higher quality of living than the government will provide them, and supporters of these policies argue that these policies are essential to providing for people (or else they would starve: See BBD, three posts ago), when does the "rhetoric" become an "inconvenient truth"?

When I argue that people who are in need have the ability to provide for themselves at a higher quality of living than the government will provide them, and supporters of these policies argue that these policies are essential to providing for people (or else they would starve: See BBD, three posts ago), when does the "rhetoric" become an "inconvenient truth"?

There are a multitude of reasons for a person not to be able to provide for themself at any given time. If you don't recognize this, then you are being incredibly dense.

There are a multitude of reasons for a person not to be able to provide for themself at any given time. If you don't recognize this, then you are being incredibly dense.

A person? Sure.
Some people? Certainly?
1/5 of the country? Probably not.

Anyone who hasn't read up on Kwame Kilpatrick should do so. Astounding that he was the mayor of a big city like Detroit for almost 6 years. Just shocking corruption and general misbehavior.

When it's your rhetoric?

Never.

No, the statistics prove it across the board. I find the need of "rampant need" and "an obesity epidemic" in conflict.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/healthcare/a/tallbutfat.htm

Food deserts. Clearly the issue. Mississippi would do better if we just lived in a desert. Like 2/5 of our population are obese. Pretty much everyone (rich/poor/white/black/hispanic) eats Fried Food twice a day. The other meal is either sardines or vienna sausages (which are delicious by the way). I am pretty far away from JH on this thread's scale, however it is a tough juxtaposition of facts that we as a country are becoming fatter and fatter (across all income levels) yet we have people in cyclical poverty.

Noodles are really cheap. Instead of Mcdonalds, just throw some noodles and olive oil in a pot and it is ready in like 4-5 minutes. Just cost you about .25 per person and it doesn't send you into a diabetic coma.

Anyone who hasn't read up on Kwame Kilpatrick should do so. Astounding that he was the mayor of a big city like Detroit for almost 6 years. Just shocking corruption and general misbehavior.

we could probably have several more pages on general Detroit misgovernance true horror stories but we're probably going to argue about jhmd's prescription for poverty relief for a few more pages instead. Kwame really is a piece of work. And by piece of work, i mean "piece of $#!+".

Food deserts. Clearly the issue. Mississippi would do better if we just lived in a desert. Like 2/5 of our population are obese. Pretty much everyone (rich/poor/white/black/hispanic) eats Fried Food twice a day. The other meal is either sardines or vienna sausages (which are delicious by the way). I am pretty far away from JH on this thread's scale, however it is a tough juxtaposition of facts that we as a country are becoming fatter and fatter (across all income levels) yet we have people in cyclical poverty.

Noodles are really cheap. Instead of Mcdonalds, just throw some noodles and olive oil in a pot and it is ready in like 4-5 minutes. Just cost you about .25 per person and it doesn't send you into a diabetic coma.

You can be obese and still malnourished/hungry. Way, way too many cheap empty calories in this country

pasta makes you fat. simple carbs turn to sugar.

Not if you're burning them off by walking to the grocery store or to get your voter ID, neither of which are in the immediate vicinity. My understanding is that the fast food drive-thru is the only acceptable place for a poor person to take their vehicle. Or to trade it in during the next round of cash for clunkers.

Pasta doesn't make people fat. Fat people make themselves fat.

Not if you're burning them off by walking to the grocery store or to get your voter ID, neither of which are in the immediate vicinity. My understanding is that the fast food drive-thru is the only acceptable place for a poor person to take their vehicle. Or to trade it in during the next round of cash for clunkers.

posrep

Back