• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Antwan Scott visiting North Korea with Dennis Rodman

Dennis Rodman, NBA old timers head to North Korea for basketball game

Beijing (CNN) -- Eccentric basketball star Dennis Rodman and several other former NBA players are on their way to take part in a controversial basketball game in North Korea on the birthday of the country's young, unpredictable leader Kim Jong-Un.

The friendly contest is planned for Wednesday, when Kim is believed to turn 31, and features a number of NBA old timers.

It takes place just weeks after North Korea shocked the world by announcing the purge and execution of Kim's once-powerful uncle.

Darren Prince, Rodman's agent for 16 years, told CNN on Sunday that Kenny Anderson, Cliff Robinson, Vin Baker, Craig Hodges, Doug Christie, and Charles D. Smith would play against the North Korean Senior National Team.
As they waited at Beijing airport for their flight on North Korean carrier Air Koryo, Rodman and his team mates told CNN that the main purpose of the trip was sport.

Rodman said it was "not his job" to address concerns about the repressive state and lobby for the release of detained U.S. citizen Kenneth Bae.

"I'm going to try and interact with him (Kim Jong Un) on that point of love for sports. He loves sports. I like the guy and he's an awesome guy to me," Rodman said. "One thing is about showing people we can actually get along. Let's get along as human beings, not politicians."

Friend for life'
Rodman, 52, struck up an unlikely friendship with Kim when he traveled to North Korea for the first time in February, bringing a team of Harlem Globetrotters for an exhibition game watched by Kim, who is a basketball fan.
Kim later met and dined with the flamboyant basketball star, and Rodman told his host he "had a friend for life," shrugging off international condemnation of the country's human rights record.
However, on his last trip, which took place last month less than a week after North Korea announced the execution of Kim's uncle and top aide, Jang Song Thaek, Rodman didn't get to meet Kim.
The international outcry over the killing of Jang prompted Paddy Power, the online betting company that had supported Rodman's project, to withdraw its association with the event.

But Rodman has pressed on with the plan.

"I'm looking forward to playing and putting on a show in North Korea. This is strictly about the game and for the love of basketball," Rodman's team mate Vin Baker told CNN at the departure gate, where the players posed for photos with fellow travelers.

Three additional former NBA players will be added to the team in coming days and will be traveling independently to Pyongyang with their assistants, Rodman's agent said Sunday.

North Korea: Reality vs. the world according to Dennis Rodman
'Publicity stunt'
Rodman met and coached the North Korean team on his most recent trip. But Cho Sung-Won, a South Korean basketball player who played against North Korea in 1999, said Rodman should not underestimate the side:
"The North Koreans were quite strong, well-built and tall as well," he said. "They were very determined not to lose against South Korea. It was a friendly match but I was a bit intimidated."

Cho was skeptical about Rodman's diplomatic aims.

"I don't know Dennis Rodman personally but he is quite peculiar and does unexpected things," he said.
"I think he went to North Korea as a publicity stunt," Cho said. "On the other hand, North Korea plays some high quality basketball so they could learn from his experience."
South Korean table tennis player Hyun Jung-Wha, who was part of a joint Korean team that took part in the 1991 World Championships, praised Rodman's bid to break the ice with Pyongyang.
"What Dennis Rodman is doing now is personal, but I think he's brave for doing it," she told CNN.

"I believe sports definitely can help diplomacy," Hyun said. "Sportsmanship is pure and I think diplomatic results can came out through sports."
But the U.S. government appears to be unconvinced.

"I know it's amusing or maybe interesting to talk about Dennis Rodman, but I actually think the focus really should be on the brutality of the North Korean regime he's going to meet with," Marie Harf, a State Department spokeswoman, said last month at the time of Rodman's previous trip.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/06/world/asia/north-korea-dennis-rodman/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

My favorite part is the "friend for life," which has to be Rodman's inadvertant contribution to gallows humor. Very clever Dennis, even if you didn't realize it.

If Ted Bundy was a avid fisherman, I'm sure my conversation with him would be plesant. That doesn't mean I'm about to charter a boat with the guy.

I honestly feel, in the back of my mind, that Kim Jung may just blow the whole thing up...kill everyone.

So Antwan didn't get mentioned in the CNN article....

Is there any chance at all that these guys get detained for a while? I don't want anyone to die but I would like to see Rodman held and forced to make anti-Western videos.

"I love my friend, he's my friend"

Seriously Kim....I support Rodman's execution. Just off him already....hang him by his stupid nose ring.

Haas

Last edited:
Twan's reactions in that video are absolutely classic. He looks so uncomfortable.

Twan's faces in that video are the same faces I make when I'm out to dinner with my wife and one of her crazy colleagues starts espousing wingnut political positions or says something vaguely racist.

While we're talking about the DPRK, two great books are Nothing to Envy and The Aquariums of Pyongyang. Loved my time in the ROK (South Korea).

This man needs a coach for his North Korean exhibition teams, and after hearing that rant I can only think of one man saying enough crazy things to complement him.

If this was already posted please forgive me.

Twan's faces in that video are the same faces I make when I'm out to dinner with my wife and one of her crazy colleagues starts espousing wingnut political positions or says something vaguely racist.

Yeah. A Scott not feeling too good. Maybe jet lag. Or maybe jet what the hell am I doing in North Korea with Dennis Rodman lag.

Same thing happens in China. Should people refuse to ever set foot there? Or should countries be open to media, press, and visitors so that the world can know what happens there and eventually hope that information reaches the brainwashed masses in NK?

read "Escape from Camp 14" and get back to me on your China to DPRK comparison

Wonder if Doug Christie's crazy wife wll tag along to keep him away from the
DPRK hoodrats

Back