• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Antwan Scott visiting North Korea with Dennis Rodman

Tons of people go there willingly because they love to travel and see parts of the world that are vastly different than their own.

Um, what? Hardly anyone goes to North Korea. It's relatively dangerous for Westerners to do so.

I don't go to Thailand, and have absolutey not interest in going to Thailand...at all. If someone offered me free tickets, I likely wouldn't go. However, Tons of people go there willingly because they love to travel and see parts of the world that are vastly different than their own.

That's pretty weird. Thailand is awesome.

Um, what? Hardly anyone goes to North Korea. It's relatively dangerous for Westerners to do so.

I mean, it's somewhere between "hardly anyone" and "tons." From what I understand, they have a good number of Chinese and Russian tourists, and then some tourists from other parts of the world as well. Especially for the Mass Games

http://www.koryogroup.com/travel_tours.php

I mean, it's somewhere between "hardly anyone" and "tons." From what I understand, they have a good number of Chinese and Russian tourists, and then some tourists from other parts of the world as well. Especially for the Mass Games

Think I read earlier only 2500 people from the US have visited since 1954, that's why I'd go.

Tons as in literally tons? There might be literally tons worth of people in terms of weight, but it's a tiny fraction compared with any developed country -- or most countries, for that matter. It consistently ranks as one of the least-visited countries in the world.

A guy in my Rotary Club does semi-regular travelogues of the places he's been, one of which was his trip into North Korea. Most people who visit NK only do so by visiting the place on the DMZ where the armistice was signed--half of the table is in the North and half is in the South, and apparently you can walk around the table.

This guy went on a full-fledged trip into NK with a group of about 20 people. The photos he showed us were pretty incredible--things like 10 lane highways with absolutely no cars on them. A park bench where the eldest Kim sat once preserved like a shrine (the Kims are treated as deities). It was pretty wild.

Tons as in literally tons? There might be literally tons worth of people in terms of weight, but it's a tiny fraction compared with any developed country -- or most countries, for that matter. It consistently ranks as one of the least-visited countries in the world.

"tons" was hyperbole in response to Philly's "who the fuck would go there willingly"

That's pretty weird. Thailand is awesome.

Thailand is probably a bad example, because I've heard it's great. I have no interest, just like I have no interest in NK. His point about NK is what I would say about Thailand...that's all.

If you have no interest in visiting Thailand, that's weird.

Antwan says:
Thank you to the people who are being supportive and understanding. This trip has nothing to do with politics ....not my job or any other person going with me Job to talk politics.. I've been to 21 countries and trust me alot of those countries hate Americans . The game of basketball have brought people together all over the world and if people stop being so negative and ignorant to the situation, they would see that. To the people who actually KNOW me, you know I wouldn't do anything to hurt myself or my family. I'm a proud American who's protected by God, I'm blessed, and very thankful for the things I've accomplished. Thank you

That should settle it.

That should settle it.

Just because you don't think your trip will be used as propaganda for a murderous dictator, doesn't mean it won't. There's literally nothing positive that comes for this trip - except probably a paycheck.

And Antwan better check God at the border. Not allowed in NK.

Just because you don't think your trip will be used as propaganda for a murderous dictator, doesn't mean it won't. There's literally nothing positive that comes for this trip - except probably a paycheck.

And Antwan better check God at the border. Not allowed in NK.

propaganda like calling other countries as being lead by inhumane murderous dictators while you yourself have the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world?

propaganda like calling other countries as being lead by inhumane murderous dictators while you yourself have the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world?

I am ok with the trip as long as he T-bags the little turd - kimjon UN

Only a JJ Redick fan could equate the North Korean and U.S. systems of governance and incarceration with a straight face.

Nominated as the most asinine post ever.

Best foreign policy team that Barack has put together.

Maybe tick off Seoul and South Korea before putting N. Korea on the top of your travel lists. :)

And from my recent trip there, I can say you can probably count the number of 'Westerners' on one hand during a typical day. Not a lot of English spoken there or displayed (but the subway had signs and announcements in English).

We had a great time there, but unless you've traveled extensively (or only go on group tours), I doubt Korea should be in your top 10. Now just extrapolate that by 1000x for N. Korea.

Back