• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Any Richmond Deacs here?

BubbaJean

Reaction score
Tell me the good, bad, and ugly of living in Richmond...

I think it probably depends on what part of Richmond and where you're moving from.

My brother is in law school there and I have cousins that have lived there their entire lives.

I can tell you that one good thing is they have a couple of cookout locations. It is also close to the mountains and the beaches as well as historic places like DC and Williamsburg.

I live in Richmond now, but I'm moving to Kansas next week unfortunately.

I love it here. Don't know how old you are, kids, married, etc, but choosing the right neighborhood is huge. Some suggestions: the Fan, Museum District, Carytown, Church Hill, Byrd Park, Shockoe Bottom. A ton of people live in the West End and Short Pump area but it is holy suburbia over there. Malls and stripmalls. I highly recommend living in metro-Richmond. So much culture and good food and things to do, but the public schools do suck. A good chunk of Richmond is hipster though....I love it and embrace it, but it is unique.

The James River runs right through the city and there are some great biking and running trails along the banks.

Feel free to PM for more.

I live in Richmond now, but I'm moving to Kansas next week unfortunately.

I love it here. Don't know how old you are, kids, married, etc, but choosing the right neighborhood is huge. Some suggestions: the Fan, Museum District, Carytown, Church Hill, Byrd Park, Shockoe Bottom. A ton of people live in the West End and Short Pump area but it is holy suburbia over there. Malls and stripmalls. I highly recommend living in metro-Richmond. So much culture and good food and things to do, but the public schools do suck. A good chunk of Richmond is hipster though....I love it and embrace it, but it is unique.

The James River runs right through the city and there are some great biking and running trails along the banks.

Feel free to PM for more.

Leavenworth?

how long until a nonny nose richmond tag?

Lived in Richmond for most of the '90s and loved it. Lived on Monument Avenue within walking distance of Buddy's. The Fan is terrific. The neighborhood around Libby and Grove is also very nice. Other than the Governor's School, the public schools within the City do suck. Far West End and Salisbury/Midlothian have pretty good public schools, but are kinda souless suburbs (albeit with pretty nice houses). Commute time is not bad anywhere within the metro are, so it's really a lifestyle choice: fun and culture of the Fan vs good suburban schools.

Age? Married? Children? Richmond is a great city but knowing those answers will help give more info on the city. I've been doing work with the Chamber here to increase the quality of life in Richmond and here's probably the best video I've seen giving you a feel for Richmond.

what kind of stuff for the Chamber Nonny? volunteer? task force? through work?

I lived there a few years. I havent been back in a long while.

Pros:

Live in the fan and walk to everything. We walked to a ton of bars and restos all the time. Who knows if they are still around but my haunts were Sidewalks, Buddys, First St Brewery? Banditos. All good spots.

Cons:

95% of the row houses / condos etc that you would want to rent or buy in the cool intown neighborhoods are like 1000 years old.

Richmond is full of preppy republican dbags and chicks that dont put out. People that are from there are more or less insuffrable. Virginia as a whole is not full of attractive peoples.

Last edited:

Pros:

Live in the fan and walk to everything. We walked to a ton of bars and restos all the time. Who knows if they are still around but my haunts were Sidewalks, Buddys, First St Brewery? Banditos. All good spots.

Cons:

95% of the row houses / condos etc that you would want to rent or buy in the cool intown neighborhoods are like 1000 years old.

Richmond is full of preppy republican dbags and chicks that dont put out. People that are from there are more or less insuffrable. Virginia as a whole is not full of attractive peoples.

This dickbag doesn't live here anymore and he's is myopic and not accurate.

Pros:

Cons:

Virginia is for lovers, brah.

Pros:

Cons:

If you couldn't get laid at Buddy's, it confirms you suck at life as well as on this board.

And I'm pretty sure row house construction didn't start 1000 years ago Sarah Palin.

Richmond is full of preppy republican dbags and chicks that dont put out. People that are from there are more or less insuffrable.

If some stiff tells you they're from a first family of Virginia, went to St Chris and UVa, get away from them as soon as possible unless you're into pompous a-holes. The neon orange cords with the the little swords on them and the orange and blue bow tie are dead giveaways. Country Club of Virginia is pretty nice as long as you're not Black or Jewish. Was at a party in Windsor Farms and the hostess (in her mid-20s) introduced herself as Mrs Thurston Howell Jefferson Washington Lee VII. She didn't seemed too stoked when I asked her if she had a first name. Was straight out of The Help.

If you couldn't get laid at Buddy's, it confirms you suck at life as well as on this board.

And I'm pretty sure row house construction didn't start 1000 years ago Sarah Palin.

Calm down Sally. Like I said I more or less enjoyed my time in Dicktown. Most of my WFU friends that were in and out of there at the time were the Collegiate / St. Chris / St. Cath crowd, and while I enjoyed hanging with them, their friends from those crowds were rough. Sort of like hanging out with Lindsey Graham in 24 year old bodies.

The fan bars/scene was fun, but you cant say that Richmond has great girls for an East Coast city. The downtown Shockoe PowerBottom clubs were pretty cheesy and mostly full of St. Pete bridge and tunnel types.

Richmond also doesnt have much of a counter culture or music scene. There were one or two bars down by VCU that had live acts every now and again that werent DMB cover bands, but that was about it. I will say that Need Supply on Cary is an excellent indie mens clothing / denim store. Probably one of the top ones on the east coast. I still get their emails and occasionally buy from there.

If some stiff tells you they're from a first family of Virginia, went to St Chris and UVa, get away from them as soon as possible unless you're into pompous a-holes. The neon orange cords with the the little swords on them and the orange and blue bow tie are dead giveaways. Country Club of Virginia is pretty nice as long as you're not Black or Jewish. Was at a party in Windsor Farms and the hostess (in her mid-20s) introduced herself as Mrs Thurston Howell Jefferson Washington Lee VII. She didn't seemed too stoked when I asked her if she had a first name. Was straight out of The Help.

This is what Im talking about and its really not much of an exaggeration. Still a pretty cool mid sized city all in though.

Another bonus from living in the Fan are the impromptu snowball fights that inevitably break out when walking home from the bars when it snows. Always a blast. Was at Buddy's one time and some guy told me that Marvin Bush (W's brother) had been a complete fuck up at their UVa fraternity. Their house was too snooty for a Greek letter name, but ole Marvin did some serious damage there.

Hated the humidity in the Summer, but the part I didn't like most was the lack of major league sports and major concert acts. Flood Zone's been closed for a long time, but got to see Ramones, Robyn Hitchcock, and Jack Bruce/Ginger Baker there. Saw some really good shows at the Mosque (Dead, Lou Reed, B52s, Replacements, 10000 Maniacs, Indigo Girls). Had to go to DC to see Stones, Who, Clapton and it was a long ass drive to see the Os play. History is awesome in Cville, Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Jamestown.

I hope the irony of TAB referring to anyone else as a douchebag is not lost on this thread.

Reactions: ONW
Back