• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Any streaming for the Brevard game tonight?

Coron does not replace CJ but does help fill the void that CJ left.
Semantics. CJ was a good shooter (check) and a leader (check) and could drive to the bucket (check), and from the sounds of it might even be a bit of a stronger leader than CJ who was a bit hesitant at times. What CJ role doesn't Coron pretty much replace?

It's good news isn't it? Maybe not for some (or most) I guess.

Semantics. CJ was a good shooter (check) and a leader (check) and could drive to the bucket (check), and from the sounds of it might even be a bit of a stronger leader than CJ who was a bit hesitant at times. What CJ role doesn't Coron pretty much replace?

It's good news isn't it? Maybe not for some (or most) I guess.

Again, keep in mind you're saying this after one game against a 4 win DivII team that lost it's best player. LOL.

That's a pretty bold conclusion from an exhibition game with a bad D2 team. When Coron is leading us to wins over ACC caliber squads, then maybe we can discuss that.

I would find it quite surprising that the 5th leading scorer on a NEC team could replace an All-ACC caliber player.
Totally agree, it's just an exhibition and that's exactly how anyone should view it. I haven't even seen the kid..it just SOUNDS like it. No need to act like anyone is proclaiming him a NBA lottery pick. But as some have pointed out in the past, CJ as a true All-ACC caliber player is a bit of an overstatement. He put up really strong numbers on what you yourself believe were non-ACC caliber teams. He wouldn't have done that on most true ACC-caliber teams and may not have even started on many. I don't think his void is going to be as hard to replace as many think.

But just having a player with what looks like the strong potential to replace him seems to bother people on here. Sad.

CJ Harris made the 3rd team All-ACC twice. There are plenty of players on bad teams and very few are All-ACC caliber. Saying it is an "overstatment" is just engaging in hypothetical nonsense. He is an All-ACC caliber player because he objectively earned the honor. Putting up strong numbers on bad teams isn't necessarily easy because you are the main focus of the defense.

He was also in the rotation of a tourney caliber team as a frosh and certainly contributed although he hit a freshman wall.

Last edited:
The most important thing I take away about Coron after last night is the fact that he can drain 6 threes in 26 min on the court. Confirms he can shoot.
Madison and CMM were a combined 0-2 on 3's and 0-3 on FT.
I can say I'm happy we have a shooter on our team. His 4 reb, 3 ast and 2 stl are gravy and he he may or may not get numbers like that again all season. He can shoot and isn't a stiff.
Chase Fischer once made 5 3's in a game in his ?60 games in a Wake uniform. If Coron is at a level between Chase and CJ I'm very happy to have him.

Tree is fun to watch. He makes things happen, not always good, but he makes things happen.

What a perfect description of him. That one sentence will likely define his whole career. I love him for what he brings to the court and for his awesome attitude. I always perk up when he walks onto the court, because you're right, something's about to happen.

CJ Harris made the 3rd team All-ACC twice. There are plenty of players on bad teams and very few are All-ACC caliber. Saying it is an "overstatment" is just engaging in hypothetical nonsense.
Hypothetical nonsense is acting like there would be absolutely no way to replace the great CJ Harris, which you trumpeted any time anyone said anything positive about this up-coming season. Hypothetical nonsense is acting like would be a lot of All-ACC players on bad teams, which is the null hypothesis of your statement. Thinking we might have someone to replace CJ based on an actual game performance is a hell of a lot less hypothetical than either of those, and certainly not nonsense.

In most cases, a player with stats on a bad team will get recognized by those that vote for such things, especially a shooter who can get the numbers. Don't act like that's not the case. Joe Trapani is another recent example. CJ wasn't 3rd team 2 times either. He was on his freshman team and he was the third team in 2011-12 season when his averages jumped 16+ pts, at least that's what I saw from the lists. Did you get that notion from his Wake bio?

Another funny related thing. You've claimed many times there is no evidence of Bz coaching. I pointed out a couple of times that CJ's numbers jumped quite a bit his junior year and that suggested Bz coaching. I believe you said it was just due to playing time and fewer other on-floor options, not anything to do with his talent improving....and that's the year CJ made 3rd team All-ACC. Now it's evidence of...something else I guess.

We'll see with Coron...jury is still out. Don't forget that when you're making up shit later in the season when you claim that I predicted he'd be All-ACC and an NBA lottery pick. One can see that hypothetical nonsense coming a trillion miles away.

CJ improved because he's a hard worker and then moved to his natural position where he wasn't handling the ball as much. I have seen precious little evidence of other players improving. Travis McKie in particular seems to be the exact same player he was 4 years ago when he stepped on campus. There was far more evidence of Dino improving players (Teague, Johnson, Ish, Macfarland, etc) than there has been of [Redacted] doing the same.

It's pretty outrageous to suggest, based on a scrimmage against a really bad D2 team, that a player who didn't start on his previous NEC team will be as good as CJ.

LOL...that sound you hear is the sarcasm flying over your head. The point of the first post you quoted was the sunshiners declaring Coron great based on a single game against non-competition. Facepalm

The most important thing I take away about Coron after last night is the fact that he can drain 6 threes in 26 min on the court. Confirms he can shoot.

For anyone that was there, how is his quickness? How fast does he get the shot off? Will he be able to get open looks vs real DivI athletes? We knew he could knock down threes coming into the season. The question has always been whether he could do it in the ACC.

It's pretty outrageous to suggest, based on a scrimmage against a really bad D2 team, that a player who didn't start on his previous NEC team will be as good as CJ.

When it doesn't happen, you can rest assured that PourExcuseForADeac will use it as an excuse for Buzz.

So is this where I post the obligatory reference to Sharmaine "don't call me Shamaine unless you're WakeWorestSports.com" Dukes lighting up Charleston Southern or whoever it was?

I thought the 'Dukes' game was about the 10 assists he dished out.

I thought the 'Dukes' game was about the 10 assists he dished out.

I wish I remembered who started a thread after that game titled WE HAVE A POINT GUARD!!

For anyone that was there, how is his quickness? How fast does he get the shot off? Will he be able to get open looks vs real DivI athletes? We knew he could knock down threes coming into the season. The question has always been whether he could do it in the ACC.

The issue with Coron will be his lack of size vs ACC 2s. He can flat out shoot the rock. The concerns are will he have problems getting it off vs ACC comp and how many will he give up at the other end? After all Spencer Jennings could shoot with the best of them in open gym.

Hypothetical nonsense is acting like there would be absolutely no way to replace the great CJ Harris, which you trumpeted any time anyone said anything positive about this up-coming season. Hypothetical nonsense is acting like would be a lot of All-ACC players on bad teams, which is the null hypothesis of your statement. Thinking we might have someone to replace CJ based on an actual game performance is a hell of a lot less hypothetical than either of those, and certainly not nonsense.

In most cases, a player with stats on a bad team will get recognized by those that vote for such things, especially a shooter who can get the numbers. Don't act like that's not the case. Joe Trapani is another recent example. CJ wasn't 3rd team 2 times either. He was on his freshman team and he was the third team in 2011-12 season when his averages jumped 16+ pts, at least that's what I saw from the lists. Did you get that notion from his Wake bio?

Another funny related thing. You've claimed many times there is no evidence of Bz coaching. I pointed out a couple of times that CJ's numbers jumped quite a bit his junior year and that suggested Bz coaching. I believe you said it was just due to playing time and fewer other on-floor options, not anything to do with his talent improving....and that's the year CJ made 3rd team All-ACC. Now it's evidence of...something else I guess.

We'll see with Coron...jury is still out. Don't forget that when you're making up shit later in the season when you claim that I predicted he'd be All-ACC and an NBA lottery pick. One can see that hypothetical nonsense coming a trillion miles away.

There are 15 spots on the All-ACC team. How many players are usually from the bottom half teams? 2 or 3?

Yes, it is a revelation that the players who produce the most stats usually make these teams.

Back