• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anyone have contacts in Chile?

The only better thing is if she spoke no Spanish whatsoever.

Hopefully at some point she finds herself hitchhiking for a spell by sitting in the back of a flatbed pick-up truck surrounded by cages full of chickens.

Hopefully at some point she finds herself hitchhiking for a spell by sitting in the back of a flatbed pick-up truck surrounded by cages full of chickens.

incidentally you just described the baggage claim at Miami airport

i may be late to the party, however I have a buddy in Chile. He is very well connected across andean region. (Sales - and not of drugs)

My niece arrived in Santiago today and is currently at the embassy. Thanks to all for your help and concern.

If you find yourself in Santiago check out the Celinto Catayente Towers, made by a very fine architect.

Took 3 days? We're gonna need some DEETS

I guess her original bus ride was ~17 hours and after the trauma of being robbed, she stayed in that town for a couple of days before taking a 24 hour bus ride to Santiago.

BTW, here's what actually happened: her bus stopped for gas and while my niece was seated on the bus, a thief jumped aboard, grabbed her backpack off her lap, and ran off the bus and out of sight. She chased him as far as she could, but he was gone. Crazy.

Figured I'd bump the one Chile thread. I'm going there to ski in August with my dad and sister. Outside of the skiing in Portillo, we have three nights to plan in/around Santiago, and could use some recommendations, specifically on a nice, reasonably priced hotel.

Is it worth driving to Valaparaiso for a day? Any recs as far as nearby vineyards? Must-sees/must-eats in Santiago? Thanks in advance.

Valpo is one of my all-time favorite world cities, but it kinda depends what you're into. It's great for walking around and seeing the unique landscape and street art, but there aren't a whole lot of activities to to do. It's more of a soak-it-in spot than an adventure or beach spot. I love it because of the vibe and the laidback lifestyle. Stayed there for about a month to finish a project when I studied in Santiago. Vina del Mar is next door with nice resorts and beautiful, but nothing that special re: coastal locations. It's also been ten years since I've been there.

Yes, I happened to stop into an optometrist's office in Santiago and they had many varieties for sale.

Definitely go to Valaparaiso. It's a perfect day-trip from Santiago. I can't recommend Free Tour Valparaiso enough. As the name implies, it's a free walking tour led by a (typically younger) native guide that meets a few times daily at a central spot in the center of town. You walk all around the historic quarter, with your guide explaining the art, history, and culture of the city as you go. Not only is it informative, but certain sections of Valpo can be just a bit dicey. So, walking with a guide and in a large group is a good way to avoid petty crime.

Never been to Valpo, but been to Santiago 3 times and love it. One of my favorite cities. A great boutique hotel that isn't expensive is The Aubrey. Borago is a legit good restaurant (in the world top 50 this year).

Back