• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Apartment Hunting in DC

My wife and I will be paying $2,005/mo for our 1BR on the red line in NW. But, with hardwood floors throughout, W/D in unit, renovated kitchen, and actually a decent amount of space (~750 sqf) we feel like we've gotten a pretty good deal. 5-8 minute walk to Cleveland Park metro depending on how fast you walk. Really not bad.

Arlington sucks. Go Logan Circle. Easy walk to red, orange, green lines.

I did just realize that our mortgage is around $1800 for a 3BR/3BA home in DC. Granted, we are in Brookland, but it's 4 blocks to the red line, so definitely metro accessible. Obviously not the same as living in NW or the highly populated areas of Arlington, but does make me feel good knowing some chick is paying more for a studio apartment than my 3-story house ;-)

Dupont Circle. That's the only way to go. If you end up moving in that area, let me know. I know all the best bars to go to. Also, I have know some cute girls you might be interested in.

Yeah I never liked Arlington because its really got no personality/culture. But its worth living there if you work there too for the rent difference. Just don't be the dude convincing people Arlington is as good as living in DC.

What's it like living in Brookland? I lived at CUA for several months back in the 90s and that area was pretty bad then. Has it improved?

What's it like living in Brookland? I lived at CUA for several months back in the 90s and that area was pretty bad then. Has it improved?

Big time. There's definitely still some random crime, but if you look at all the stats I think it's technically safer than places like Columbia Heights, H St, etc. Much more of a neighborhood feel.

We moved last summer and really have nothing but good things to say about it so far. I walk the dog early in the morning and late at night and have never felt unsafe. There's also a ton of new construction happening with new condos/townhomes near Catholic plus a huge mixed-use development right by the Rhode Island Metro.

I think a year from now it will even be significantly different than when we moved in.

Lollers at people saying anywhere on the Red Line is better than Arlington. If you have to metro every day, you might as well throw yourself in front of the first train that comes.

Which coincidentally, will be 15 minutes late, packed to the gills, and have its A/C turned off.

My impression is that people agree if you want a short commute to a job in Arlington, live in Arlington. Just don't expect it to have the same character as living in DC. Also, if you have to go to client sites in the city frequently, you're going to be commuting anyway (and Orange line into the city is in no way better than Red line...at least from my experience).

Amazed to hear about Brookland. Fifteen years ago nobody left the CUA campus after dark. Lots of unsavory characters around. Not long after I left there was a high-profile robbery and murder (mutiple people killed) at the restaurant right there at the Mich Ave bridge east of campus. I forget the name of the place.

If you are looking for a place you should check out padmapper.com. Search for dc.

Its a cool site that you can filter your search rests by price per room, number of rooms, etc and it takes from sites like craigslist.

Amazed to hear about Brookland. Fifteen years ago nobody left the CUA campus after dark. Lots of unsavory characters around. Not long after I left there was a high-profile robbery and murder (mutiple people killed) at the restaurant right there at the Mich Ave bridge east of campus. I forget the name of the place.
Colonel Brooks! Right up the street from my house. Definitely not as sketch as it was back then. Although that block is slated to be re-developed into mixed use as well.

I thought there was a rule that UMD peeps had to knock living in NoVa at every available opportunity?

Not that I'm aware of. I know tons of UMD friends who live there now.

And when you're a 10 min cab ride or so from Dupont and Adams Morgan (and even less to Georgetown) I don't see the big deal of having to live in DC. You guys think its that much better to live in Cleveland Park or something like that?

Not that I'm aware of. I know tons of UMD friends who live there now.

And when you're a 10 min cab ride or so from Dupont and Adams Morgan (and even less to Georgetown) I don't see the big deal of having to live in DC. You guys think its that much better to live in Cleveland Park or something like that?

yes

Arlington would be alright if people accepted it as a cheaper/less cool burb of DC but people are always trying to claim its just as good as living in DC - which then makes it even less cool.

You still haven't explained why its not as good as living in DC. Especially if you are in Courthouse or Rosslyn you are so close to all of the action of DC.

I'm 3 weeks from actually making the move, but I was WAY more impressed by the cleveland park area than I was by Arlington. Arlington is very nice, but felt very sterile to me. No character. DC felt the opposite to me.

I'll let you know how I feel in a few months, but I'm confident I'll still agree.

Back