• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Apathy

everybody is just biding their time until Bzzz is gone and there is something to look forward to again

Exactly. I don't think it's gonna take much to "get the fans back"...as soon as there's a watchable, competitive product on the floor things will come back around. Basketball is entertainment. Right now, we're a shitty team getting beaten by other shitty teams. That's not entertaining.

So do you think it will be harder to get the fans back or turn the team around?

Think about it again Tuesday night when the TAR -- HEELS chant echoes throughout the Joel and our fans dont care enough to shout it down.

A lot of students are actually fired up about the game. I think you'll see a significant number of Wake fans there... for the first half at least.

A lot of students are actually fired up about the game. I think you'll see a significant number of Wake fans there... for the first half at least.

I hope that you are right. I really, really hope that you are right.

ABC, baby!

I'm sure they are. That is nothing new. When the students are fired up about us playing VT or BC at home, that is something to impressed by.

I'm sure they are. That is nothing new though. When the students are fired up about us playing VT or BC (or just having a game) at home, that is something to impressed by. If we are winning, the student section will be (close to) full for games against Elon and High Point.

Mediocre players with one more year of experience are mediocre players with one more year of experience.

Oh yeah and we will have some decent freshmen.

We are going to suck next year too,

I think with the six we got coming in, plus CJ & Travis, we will get over .500 next year and at least make the NIT.

8 wins last year with nothing, maybe 14 wins this year and much better team basketball being played. 6 new recruits with at leat 3 being nationally ranked, plus another year for Tony & Chas & Carson--things will start looking up.

Remember, we have lost 4 players who would be starter types [ maybe not Tabb ] in the past 2 seasons for various indiscretions, so Bz has had to totally reload and start over when he got here.

I used to live and breath WFU basketball. I'd come home early from work, block time off for the game, and anticipate upcoming match-ups etc. Now, I couldn't even tell you when our next game is or who we play (apparently UNC?). It it simply unfathomable that we had a 15 or so year run where we had legit chances at the Final Four perhaps 3 or 4 times to being a program that is hoping to have a good enough team to make the NIT next year.

It is pretty obvious that Wellman has made a catastrophic mistake is his handling of this program. Can you imagine the CEO of any company surviving such a huge blunder? I know this is unrealistic given the coach + players, but I think Hatch should force the issue and let Wellman + Bzzz know that anything short of an NCAA birth next year will result in their termination. We can't have Bzzz going on the air saying '10-8 or whatever isn't so bad.' That is loser speak and a fucking disgrace to the legacy of the program.

Next year HAS to be the year, else other sports are going to start to suffer due to the lack of revenue.

I just don't understand the idea of being a die-hard WFU fan in a good year, but becoming "apathetic" as soon as the program hits a rocky stretch. You can be mad or angry, but that's still passion for the team. Complete apathy though? I can't really rationalize that as anything but jumping off the bandwagon.

I'd say a large majority on these boards have been die hards for 20 years or even more. I started following in 1991 and this is the first set of years where we are simply not competitive. A rocky stretch is the back end of the Odom years where we stepped down a notch and weren't quite NCAA caliber. We always felt like we were a game or so away or an above average recruit away from being back competing with the big boys. We are so far removed from that...we would be lucky to improve to that level next year.

Why would I spent 2 hours watching a hopeless team/program when I have work, kids, and a gazillion other concerns out there? If there was some hope or some satisfaction to be gained by watching this team, I'd probably find it higher up the priority chain. I have lost faith that Wellman and the AD are putting forth maximum effort to win and that attitude I cannot respect or support.

"I've been on the wagon forever, and it was always easy to stay on because our 'bad stretches' weren't really that bad. Now, for the first time in my existence as a fan, we have a really bad team! Fanhood is not worth it anymore."

I still watch every game. I'm just sad a lot more.

I'd say a large majority on these boards have been die hards for 20 years or even more. I started following in 1991 and this is the first set of years where we are simply not competitive. A rocky stretch is the back end of the Odom years where we stepped down a notch and weren't quite NCAA caliber. We always felt like we were a game or so away or an above average recruit away from being back competing with the big boys. We are so far removed from that...we would be lucky to improve to that level next year.

Why would I spent 2 hours watching a hopeless team/program when I have work, kids, and a gazillion other concerns out there? If there was some hope or some satisfaction to be gained by watching this team, I'd probably find it higher up the priority chain. I have lost faith that Wellman and the AD are putting forth maximum effort to win and that attitude I cannot respect or support.

I think I saw my first Wake game in 1970. Awesome -- Charlie Davis, Gil McGregor...and so on. I even survived the Bob Staak years. This, though, is the worse. A couple posts up someone questioned how anyone could be apathetic. Icker nailed it. Just no hope and always something better to do. That's a 180 for me, so thanks RW and Bzz.

Again, be upset, be mad, contact Wellman - I don't really care. Those things aren't "apathy," though. I don't even care if you don't watch or attend the games - you can refuse to do those things but still "care" about the team. And if you still care, then how are you apathetic?

I just don't see anyone on these boards as truly apathetic, except for maybe Moonzz because sports aren't really his jam. If someone truly has been a fan for all the good years and is now "apathetic," then I have no problem calling them a shitty fan.

Are you single? No kids? That is my guess. Take a look at someone like DeacMan. Guy used to run a private site for WFU recruiting. The newbies here probably don't even know who he is at this point. A lot of big time supporters are gone or almost there.

I'd also ask if you see a glimmer of hope in the program? When do you expect us to be good again?

Moon isn't even actually apathetic or he wouldn't talk about it or take the time to instigate things in the first place. He just thinks he seems cooler if he acts disinterested. #MoonIsCarlesCarlesIsMoon

Well it's a relative thing. Going from living and dying with each possession to dreading watching your team play and not really being affected by it kinda sucks.

Moon isn't even actually apathetic or he wouldn't talk about it or take the time to instigate things in the first place. He just thinks he seems cooler if he acts disinterested. #MoonIsCarlesCarlesIsMoon

Just laughed out loud.

Are you single? No kids? That is my guess. Take a look at someone like DeacMan. Guy used to run a private site for WFU recruiting. The newbies here probably don't even know who he is at this point. A lot of big time supporters are gone or almost there.

I'd also ask if you see a glimmer of hope in the program? When do you expect us to be good again?

Yes, and what's good? Fun to watch? Next year. NCAA tournament? 2013-14.

Will we be fun to watch next year? We sure as hell aren't fun to watch this year. The players don't even look like they like basketball anymore.

I wish I shared your optimism. Unfortunately for Wellman and the team, they are gonna have to do something special to win back the fanbase. I have some fairly high placed contacts and they are about as discouraged as me. Getting some of the behind the scenes details has even made me feels worse about things. We have a deep ditch to dig ourselves out of...call us shitty fans, but this the reality surrounding the program.

Back