• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Apathy

Again, be upset, be mad, contact Wellman - I don't really care. Those things aren't "apathy," though. I don't even care if you don't watch or attend the games - you can refuse to do those things but still "care" about the team. And if you still care, then how are you apathetic?

I just don't see anyone on these boards as truly apathetic, except for maybe Moonzz because sports aren't really his jam. If someone truly has been a fan for all the good years and is now "apathetic," then I have no problem calling them a shitty fan.

Exactly. i did not renew my season tickets for the last two years, and cant stomach to watch a full game but i still care. Cant be a fair weather fan, thats something wake fans have prided themselves for years on. Weve always been known as a bball scholl and have a great tradition, even in the ggod years i knew we were going to blow it when it really counted in march. I will live and die a deacon fan. Thingd dont look good, but we can never stop caring. All it takes is one or two players to be there again. I just dont see rodney,randoplph or timm walking through the door anytime soon though.

I have a good feeling Deacon Club and donation money will start to dry up if we don't have some competitive teams.

You have no clue how the wake athletic programs are funded.

How are they funded? Since revenue from net ticket sales apparently have no impact to our net income, I'm curious as to how this funding works.

Please let us know.

How are they funded? Since revenue from net ticket sales apparently have no impact to our net income, I'm curious as to how this funding works.

Please let us know.

Football and basketball TV contracts negotiated by the ACC have to be the largest sources of revenue, I believe I've heard upwards of 60-70% of total revenue comes from these two sources. Someone else probably has accurate numbers.

Yeah, basketball revenues are probably down a mill or so, but not killers.

Please let us know.

Who stated ticket sale revenue has zero impact to net income?

Who stated ticket sale revenue has zero impact to net income?

Since you dismissed an earlier poster as not having a clue how the funding works when he commented that lack of ticket sales will hurt the program, one can conclude that ticket revenue does not impact net income.

I asked you how the program funding works. Not going to spend three pages playing word games.

So, share the details.

Will we be fun to watch next year? We sure as hell aren't fun to watch this year. The players don't even look like they like basketball anymore.

This sums it up. If we're not going to win games, and if we aren't even going to be competitive in most games, it isn't fun for anybody: players, coaches, or fans. Nobody's apathetic, they're straight up miserable.

I have a good feeling Deacon Club and donation money will start to dry up if we don't have some competitive teams.

While that plays a big part, the ACC split of revenue went up around $6 mill this year I think making some facility upgrades possible. Plus with the ACC getting a surprise second team in the BCS [ VT in the Sugar Bowl ] the leage got another $13 mill or so to split. SO that was a bonus $1 mill to Wake.

But yes, without some success soon on the hardwood, it could take a toll. Notre Dame coming to BB & T was a great benefit this year to the DC. Now we will see if it holds and the new members keep giving.

Being in the DC does not bring the benefits it used to. ACC tourney tickets were the main draw of big money & now tickets are a dime a dozen for Thur & Fri. Plus we don't normally get out of Thursday so it is hard to say you want to spend $400 per ticket when you can go get a session ticket for our round for about $30.

Plus as we know tickets at the Joel are not hard to get for any game. And even though Notre Dame was a high value ticket early, on game day they were going for $10 in the parking lot. Our game time and being us against Bama-LSU worked hard against us that night.

I just don't understand the idea of being a die-hard WFU fan in a good year, but becoming "apathetic" as soon as the program hits a rocky stretch. You can be mad or angry, but that's still passion for the team. Complete apathy though? I can't really rationalize that as anything but jumping off the bandwagon.

You're right apathy may not be the right word but embarrassment leading to something that looks like apathy.

If people on the boards are even using the word apathy, that means the wider Wake fandom IS apathetic. If you don't understand that, you aren't keeping in touch with enough friends from Wake. I spent a game-watch last week explaining to a group of former diehards why Jeff Battle is still around. They were more interested in calling Bzzz a brontosaurus (long neck +boring-looking) than watching Duke roll over us.

And even if Bzzz Ball manages to win some games next year, I don't think that means it'll fun to watch. And spare me the "all winning is fun" bullshit. As a fan, I'll take 102-90 over 54-48 any day. Why? Because I have eyes, that's why.

Are you single? No kids? That is my guess. Take a look at someone like DeacMan. Guy used to run a private site for WFU recruiting. The newbies here probably don't even know who he is at this point. A lot of big time supporters are gone or almost there.

I'd also ask if you see a glimmer of hope in the program? When do you expect us to be good again?

Yep. "Hey honey, I'm going to skip out on family dinner so I can watch some crappy basketball." That logic doesn't fly not just for my wife, but to myself.

I talked to a buddy of mine who has two boys. He's a diehard, one of our best fans. I said he's only taken his boys to the Joel once in the last year. He can't justify it. There are so many more fun things to do with your kids than go to watch a Bz coached Wake basketball team. He grew up looking forward to sharing ACC basketball with his kids and now looks around and not only is Wake basketball bad, but ACC basketball as a whole is almost unwatchable.

I have a hard time justifying sitting around on my ass, glued to my computer screen because we aren't good enough to be on live TV in Cincinnati (not that we would be on live TV much anyway, though.) I have no feasible way to record ESPN3 broadcasts, either.

Me: Sorry I was late, was home sitting on the couch watching the Wake game on ESPN3 on my laptop.
Them: Oh, did they win?
Me: Nope, lost by 20 points.

Once this happens 10 times in a season, you just begin to look stupid. It's much easier to justify watching all of them when you are winning and you can explain to your family members/significant others that Wake has a chance to do something.

Yeah. When I moved after grad school, I was starting to make some friends and it was a tough decision to go out and make new friends rather than stay home and watch a Wake non-con game. I still regret this exchange at the end of that season:

Cute girls: "We're going to go out to a bar and watch the NCAA Tournament games. Want to come?"
Dumb Ph: "Nah, I'm just going to watch the Wake game at home. I'll just meet you all out after we beat West Virginia."

Yep. "Hey honey, I'm going to skip out on family dinner so I can watch some crappy basketball." That logic doesn't fly not just for my wife, but to myself.

I talked to a buddy of mine who has two boys. He's a diehard, one of our best fans. I said he's only taken his boys to the Joel once in the last year. He can't justify it. There are so many more fun things to do with your kids than go to watch a Bz coached Wake basketball team. He grew up looking forward to sharing ACC basketball with his kids and now looks around and not only is Wake basketball bad, but ACC basketball as a whole is almost unwatchable.

well said

"Hey kids, I would like to take you to the Children's Museum, but I need to watch our irrelevant basketball team get beat by 20".

"i know i've been out of town all week, so i should step up and give the kids a bath tonight. instead i'm going to sit in front of the tv, get enraged and subsequently drink too much while i watch wake lose by 30 at home to a mediocre nc state team."

My kids, who love basketball, would rather take a bath and go to bed than stay up and watch Wake's 7 pm games.

"Hey boys would you like to make a sundae and stay up a little late tonight. I'll give you a pass, the Deacs are on!"

In unison... "Nah, we'll just go watch Jimmy Neutron for the 45th time and go to bed at the regular time. Thanks tho..."

"Hey kids, I would like to take you to the Children's Museum, but I need to watch our irrelevant basketball team get beat by 20".

"i know i've been out of town all week, so i should step up and give the kids a bath tonight. instead i'm going to sit in front of the tv, get enraged and subsequently drink too much while i watch wake lose by 30 at home to a mediocre nc state team."

My kids, who love basketball, would rather take a bath and go to bed than stay up and watch Wake's 7 pm games.

"Hey boys would you like to make a sundae and stay up a little late tonight. I'll give you a pass, the Deacs are on!"

In unison... "Nah, we'll just go watch Jimmy Neutron for the 45th time and go to bed at the regular time. Thanks tho..."

so so so true. +rep for you all.

Back