• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Army @ Wake Forest - 7:30 PM RSN/Bally

If there is ever a team / game in which we need to come out HOT and build a big lead, it's this game. Hopefully, we jump all over them. Get Hartman and many of our key players on the bench by the 3rd quarter.

We always end up with injuries from this game and we need to minimize as much as possible for the home stretch.

We have had such a solid run of quality playmakers at DT. It's pretty remarkable. Even with guys like freaking Nikita Whitlock. It's like a charmed spot on the roster for us.
Agree. Sucks we lose 3 guys this year, right? Who's "next man up" other than Pointer?

I think Justin Williams has been getting some reps at DT and I think I've seen Bernard Gooden on the field some as well. Elijah Hall is freshman that I think is the highest rated defensive recruit that Clawson has had here, so hopefully he'll be ready next year.

I think we’ve already seen a huge difference in our defense against the run between last year and this year, but this game it is going to be very apparent. Hemphill’s struggles were with scheme and alignment, and that is what you need to face a disciplined army office.

I can't speak about any of the specifics or whether it was a good/bad scheme in concept, but I reallllly did not like the strategy we employed against Army last year, where we apparently decided to use the bye week to install an entirely new scheme to defend the triple option, trained a couple dudes on an entirely position and then got completely screwed when they got injured (believe it was Garnes and someone else, maybe Mustapha who were trained on the new position).

Seems like exactly what you wouldn't want to do with a struggling defense that had been bad at alignment and breakdowns all season - just overwhelming them further and forcing them to think even more, which was pretty obvious looking at the replay from last year.

Seems like this is a game where you take your top 8 DL and just rotate every possession.

Hopefully we can have some sustained drives to rest the d. The one play bombs last year were cool but not helpful for our friends on the other side of the ball.

How is Army going to defend Wake?

They could not last season, and their defense so far this season has given up tons of rushing yards and 30 points a game. UTSA and Coastal are good offenses, but that also includes them routing Villanova from FCS. Their rushing defense is one of the worst in all of D1, giving up 222 yards a game.

Thinking the slow mesh will be particularly brutal for them to defend. If they try to stop the 1-on-1 pass play, we are going to gash them in the run game. This would be a good game for Cooley to be available in the second half.

Any idea when Anderson will be back on defense? This week would be a good one to have him available.

They could not last season, and their defense so far this season has given up tons of rushing yards and 30 points a game. UTSA and Coastal are good offenses, but that also includes them routing Villanova from FCS. Their rushing defense is one of the worst in all of D1, giving up 222 yards a game.

Thinking the slow mesh will be particularly brutal for them to defend. If they try to stop the 1-on-1 pass play, we are going to gash them in the run game. This would be a good game for Cooley to be available in the second half.
this

Any idea when Anderson will be back on defense? This week would be a good one to have him available.
Coach keeps saying after the bye. I think if we can score early and get them off schedule we should be ok. Give them life, and we will have trouble.

I'm curious which guys who are banged up the Clawson plans to hold out of the Army game to give them some extended rest.

It would be great to gash them for a 35-7 lead at halftime, throw another TD on the board to start the half, and then let Griffis and Cooley do their thing.

Hopefully we can have some sustained drives to rest the d. The one play bombs last year were cool but not helpful for our friends on the other side of the ball.
We had SEVEN TD drives that were under 1:30 time of possessions. Just insane. If we had even one more stop at some point I think that game doesn’t end anywhere near the 70-56 madness.

As fun as it would be to hang 70 points on them again, I really hope that we focus on just running the ball and force them to stop it (they can't).

Let's limit the possessions in this game so that our defensive players are on the field against their injury-inducing offense for fewer plays.

As fun as it would be to hang 70 points on them again, I really hope that we focus on just running the ball and force them to stop it (they can't).

Let's limit the possessions in this game so that our defensive players are on the field against their injury-inducing offense for fewer plays.
The only way we score 70 again is if they score 50 again. Clawson will shut it down and run it up the gut with backups if it’s a blowout in the second half.

Just need to get out to a big lead and hopefully the defense is much better this year.

are we sure he’s going to get a lot of PT even once back? He often appeared too slow to play S effectively at this level — though I wonder how much of that was his speed and how much was our prior defensive scheme.

are we sure he’s going to get a lot of PT even once back? He often appeared too slow to play S effectively at this level — though I wonder how much of that was his speed and how much was our prior defensive scheme.
Coming off an injury that took half the season to recover from and the improved safety play/depth this year, I doubt Nick gets nearly as much PT as he did last year.

Last week the snap counts at safety were Mustapha (58), Garnes (48), Slocum (26), AJ Williams (21). He isn't going to take significant snaps away from Mustapha or Garnes, so it comes down to whether the staff values him more than Slocum/Williams and Brendan Harris whenever he returns from his injury.

Back