• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Asheville Restaurants

Interesting, I've walked by it a ton of times (it's in a great location), didn't know it was run by a deac, I'll have to check it out now.

Word. Yeah, DJ Adam Thome is my man. Hope it's good, he's a good dude. He also djs around, deep house.

Bump - eating at the Market Place restaurant tomorrow for a last-minute spontaneous trip. Staying at the Beaufort House Inn B&B near town. Both got really good reviews. What says The Pit (and Asheville locals)?

Playing a late afternoon round at CCofA tomorrow evening before dinner, and then probably a downtown brewery or two after. Recs on which brewery? Lunch recs for Saturday? Planning on doing the Craggy Gardens/Pinnacle trail before heading back to Charlotte in the afternoon - good call? Better/closer trails worth pursuing? Others I considered were Mt. Pisgah and a few at Montreat.

Thx.

Bump - eating at the Market Place restaurant tomorrow for a last-minute spontaneous trip. Staying at the Beaufort House Inn B&B near town. Both got really good reviews. What says The Pit (and Asheville locals)?

Playing a late afternoon round at CCofA tomorrow evening before dinner, and then probably a downtown brewery or two after. Recs on which brewery? Lunch recs for Saturday? Planning on doing the Craggy Gardens/Pinnacle trail before heading back to Charlotte in the afternoon - good call? Better/closer trails worth pursuing? Others I considered were Mt. Pisgah and a few at Montreat.

Thx.

Dunno anything about the Inn but the Market Place is solid and has been for decades. Good seasonal menu. Burial has the best beer in town IMO. I like Asheville Brewing and Brahmari a lot as well. Asheville Brewing has good pub food. Another option is Buxton Hall for lunch and can hit Catawba either before or after because it's right next door. Green Man and Twin Leaf are both solid and around the corner from there (albeit in opposite directions).

You could also hit Taco Billy in West Asheville then head over to New Belgium and drink next to the river which is a favorite activity of ours.

Last edited:
Burial, Green Man, Brahami, Catawba, Twin Leaf. All right there together. Wicked Weed/Funkatorium are right there too and are still good, but up to you if you hate them now. WW is also usually kind of crowded.

Dunno anything about the Inn but the Market Place is solid and has been for decades. Good seasonal menu. Burial has the best beer in town IMO. I like Asheville Brewing and Brahmari a lot as well. Asheville Brewing has good pub food. Another option is Buxton Hall for lunch and can hit Catawba either before or after because it's right next door. Green Man and Twin Leaf are both solid and around the corner from there (albeit in opposite directions).

You could also hit Taco Billy in West Asheville then head over to New Belgium AND THE WEDGE and drink next to the river which is a favorite activity of ours.

FIFY, no reason not to do both places, unless you just rly hate dogs or something.

ETA: Also go to Hole across the street for "dessert" after taco'ing it.

We went to Zambra last night. Partly because we were there 7 years ago...just to reminisce and compare to what we remembered.

We got 5 plates, 4 were very good: the gnocchi, pork cheek, charred octopus, and scallops. Would pass on the Vietnamese quail.

Waiter was friendly and helpful but it became a little too clear he was hurrying us along...I guess he wanted to get out.

Hazelnut flan was pretty nice dessert.

I tried "absinthe" drip cocktail...enjoyed although I lost maybe a 6th of the "absinthe" due to bartender mis-placing the absinthe spoon on the glass.

Overall I'd say go...plenty to enjoy there.

Other places we went to in the last few days:

1. Brasilia Churrasco Steakhouse. Holy cow. Etc. Worth experiencing once, maybe more. Go hungry. Unlimited "salad" bar that's pretty extensive and unlimited meats (steak, lamb, chicken, sausage, etc.) brought to your table. All pretty well (above average to very good) prepared but the most notable thing is the unlimited supply. Truly obscene.

2. Curate. Still superb...hard to imagine better food. Expanded capacity since we were last there. Everything we tried was outstanding.

3. Over Easy. For breakfast, brunch, or lunch. Really good and interesting food. A bit chaotic wrt service, atmosphere.

Only about two dozen places or more we'd like to try...Asheville is a fun place to visit.

FIFY, no reason not to do both places, unless you just rly hate dogs or something.

ETA: Also go to Hole across the street for "dessert" after taco'ing it.

Speaking of bars by the river, we use to love going to the ByWater up on riverside. Tubing followed by getting hammered at the bywater is a top notch Asheville activity. I think I am actually starting to miss that place now, SMH.

Salvage Station is starting to get some legit shows. Greensky Bluegrass coming up and I'm going to Oteil Burbridge and Friends (he's assembled an awesome band).

I'ma be in Asheville on Thursday night to see a show at the Orange Peel. Suspect we'll go for a casual dinner beforehand. Is the food at the Wicked Weed Brewery any good? It's right there. There also appear to be a couple of taquerias. What say you hippies?

I'ma be in Asheville on Thursday night to see a show at the Orange Peel. Suspect we'll go for a casual dinner beforehand. Is the food at the Wicked Weed Brewery any good? It's right there. There also appear to be a couple of taquerias. What say you hippies?

Wicked Weed is fine but there are tons of food and beer options within easy walking distance that aren't corporate whore sellout fucks.

Food is fine, nothing special. You aren't too far from Buxton Hall and Nightbell which are both great options. You could try to snag a seat at the bar at Curate. I'd recommend parking in the Aloft Hotel garage.

Food is fine, nothing special. You aren't too far from Buxton Hall and Nightbell which are both great options. You could try to snag a seat at the bar at Curate. I'd recommend parking in the Aloft Hotel garage.
Wicked Weed is fine but there are tons of food and beer options within easy walking distance that aren't corporate whore sellout fucks.

This. Don't go to Wicked Weed/Budweiser plz.

In addition to Barca's suggestions I'd also throw out Limones (if you can get a reservation) or their sister bar/restaurant En La Calle right next door which is a little more casual and doesn't do the reservations thing (but shares a kitchen with Limones and has v similar dishes).

Salsas is always good and also close.

Don't do bartaco if that's what you were talking about with the taquerias thing. Dumb chain that ruined a great art deco building downtown and is weird as fuck (have to order with pencil and paper but then the waiter ends up reading everything back to you anyway, tacos are basically 1 bite each so you need 5 to even approach a meal, overpriced weak margs, etc).

Nah the 2 taco places that appear to be nearby are White Duck Taco Shop and Mamacita's Taqueria. We've been to Asheville before, done the nice dining thing at Curate, and we're hitting a concert immediately afterwards, so we're more looking for something fast and casual, not tapas.

Also, I did not realize folks were so pissed about Wicked Weed. Yous guys are fired up ! I dunno man, they still seem to make good beer.

White Duck is fine especially if you want more esoteric things like Korean BBQ tacos or something. I like Mamacitas a fair amount and hit it up from time to time before shows. It's like a a Chipotle/Qdoba place where they make your burrito down the line (but much better).

Back