• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ask Me about Eastern North Carolina

Well now you're hitting very close to home...

I'm a fan of Joe's BBQ.

Also Dale's Seafood.

Oh yeah, if you can get there at lunch, I love a Ward's Grill burger.

I just googled "Whiteville NC restaurants" out of curiosity to see what returned. McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Hardees, Bojangles were 4 of the top 6 to return. So... yeah.

Just to clarify, I'm not claiming any of the above to be hidden gems. I'm just saying it's the best of Whiteville. To be fair, there may be some that have opened in the last 15-20 years I'm not aware of. When I get down there, my parents always tended to want to just go to their traditional favorites.
Since I'm from there/went to 2 of those 3 places last weekend I would suggest that you don't go to Ward's. The owner, Junior, is gross and so are the hamburgers. Go down the street to Jerry's or What-A-Burger. Its worth it.

In the dark days when I first moved to Tarboro with my parents, it was not a trivial matter to get to Rocky Mount or Greenville. Gradually the barriers have been lowered, but I can still remember telling a classmate that I was going to Raleigh one weekend for something and having him say "I wish I could go to Raleigh someday."

Until high school, he had never been outside of Edgecombe and Nash counties.

Spent the first 16 years of my life in Tarboro. I can verify this post. That's the small town mentality.

Me and my family were pretty mobile since my parents were from Lee and Chatham counties. Still going to Crabtree Valley Mall was like shangri-la. The idea of living in Charlotte was a dream.

Spent the first 16 years of my life in Tarboro. I can verify this post. That's the small town mentality.

Me and my family were pretty mobile since my parents were from Lee and Chatham counties. Still going to Crabtree Valley Mall was like shangri-la. The idea of living in Charlotte was a dream.

I will never forget the first time I went to Crabtree. It was the summer before my sophomore year of high school and we had band camp (yeah, I know) at Umstead Park for 10 days. We went to Crabtree twice during camp. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I had been to other malls in Norfolk but still Crabtree was the bomb.

I will never forget the first time I went to Crabtree. It was the summer before my sophomore year of high school and we had band camp (yeah, I know) at Umstead Park for 10 days. We went to Crabtree twice during camp. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I had been to other malls in Norfolk but still Crabtree was the bomb.

I grew up in the Raleigh metro area so I went to Crabtree regularly, but that didn't make it any less awesome. There was the Mexican restaurant with a faux straw hut and tiki torches at the entrance, which made it far more exotic and magical than your run-of-the-mill cantina. And at Dunderbock's, people sat on cases of beer, rather than chairs, while they ate their fancy sandwiches with cheeses that I couldn't even pronounce. The Record Bar had every cassette you could possibly ever want for $9.99 each, and I'd spend hours in there. And Thalheimers had the kind of clothes that only the richest people wore - sometimes I'd save up my grass-cutting money to buy a belt or a shirt at Thalheimers, and then I had the satisfaction of knowing I was living like the rich folks lived.

How much do I hate my grandparents for selling their house on Bald Head Island a few years ago, and how much do I love them for having bought one there back when there was no electricity and you had to have a generator on your property?

I grew up in the Raleigh metro area so I went to Crabtree regularly, but that didn't make it any less awesome. There was the Mexican restaurant with a faux straw hut and tiki torches at the entrance, which made it far more exotic and magical than your run-of-the-mill cantina. And at Dunderbock's, people sat on cases of beer, rather than chairs, while they ate their fancy sandwiches with cheeses that I couldn't even pronounce. The Record Bar had every cassette you could possibly ever want for $9.99 each, and I'd spend hours in there. And Thalheimers had the kind of clothes that only the richest people wore - sometimes I'd save up my grass-cutting money to buy a belt or a shirt at Thalheimers, and then I had the satisfaction of knowing I was living like the rich folks lived.

My first trip to Crabtree was when I was 14 (granted I moved to NC when I was 12) and it was with a church group of about 24 fourteen and fifteen year olds, half of whom were from Northern Ireland. It was like some magical playground. I specifically remember buying an Abercrombie and Fitch t-shirt and it was the most money I had spent on an article of clothing using my own cash. At the time it was the coolest thing in the world to have an A&F shirt because only the kids whose parents would take them to Raleigh had them (which was very few). I wore that t-shirt with pride for years until my sister stole it.

Lumberton is truly an awful place, but it's barely a top 5 worst Eastern NC city (and I grew up in Fayetteville, so I feel like something of an expert on this topic).

The first time I went to Crabtree was in 1992. It was about 1/2 step above Hanes Mall. Seriously, nothing special. They have upped their game though.

How many run down mobile homes complete with clothelines, toys in the front yard, satellite dishes and two nice cars in the "driveway" actually exist in eastern NC?

How many run down mobile homes complete with clothelines, toys in the front yard, satellite dishes and two nice cars in the "driveway" actually exist in eastern NC?

that's like asking how many assholes are in Chapel Hill--a lot

people used to think of crabtree mall as way out in north raleigh, but we're talking late 70s.

bald head island is one of the best places in the world to spend a week doing absolutely nothing. going there again in may.

Well now you're hitting very close to home...

I'm a fan of Joe's BBQ.

Also Dale's Seafood.

Oh yeah, if you can get there at lunch, I love a Ward's Grill burger.

I just googled "Whiteville NC restaurants" out of curiosity to see what returned. McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Hardees, Bojangles were 4 of the top 6 to return. So... yeah.

Just to clarify, I'm not claiming any of the above to be hidden gems. I'm just saying it's the best of Whiteville. To be fair, there may be some that have opened in the last 15-20 years I'm not aware of. When I get down there, my parents always tended to want to just go to their traditional favorites.

Excellent, thanks!

The first time I went to Crabtree was in 1992. It was about 1/2 step above Hanes Mall. Seriously, nothing special. They have upped their game though.

Well you had Hanes Mall. If you grew up regularly going to Parkhill Mall (Granny's Doughnuts RIP) and Tarrytown Mall, making the trip to The Plaza on special occasions, then regularly heading over to Golden East Crossing which was a huge deal at the time, Crabtree was incredibly cool.

Funny story about Hanes Mall. A few times, when I had a teenager, I had dreams that took place in a mall split in the middle by a department store. The first time I went to Hanes Mall, I was a little freaked out.

Well you had Hanes Mall. If you grew up regularly going to Parkhill Mall (Granny's Doughnuts RIP) and Tarrytown Mall, making the trip to The Plaza on special occasions, then regularly heading over to Golden East Crossing which was a huge deal at the time, Crabtree was incredibly cool.

Funny story about Hanes Mall. A few times, when I had a teenager, I had dreams that took place in a mall split in the middle by a department store. The first time I went to Hanes Mall, I was a little freaked out.

I grew up in Atlanta. Hanes Mall is a dump.

Apropos of nothing, I have come to the conclusion since becoming a reasonably responsible adult that all malls are variations on a theme, and most are pretty dumpy.

The ones that aren't are ridiculously expensive wish-fulfillment palaces to excess that I don't patronize any longer.

Yeah, pretty much. All the new style "upscale" outdoor/indoor malls are all the same thing.

My parents still live in Greenville, and going to Crabtree is still like shangri-la. Even though Greenville has grown a ton since I was a kid, the stores there mostly cater to rednecks, thugs, or skank-ass ECU students.

Lumberton is truly an awful place, but it's barely a top 5 worst Eastern NC city (and I grew up in Fayetteville, so I feel like something of an expert on this topic).

agreed. my mom grew up there and I used to hate going to visit my grandmother's house there. soooo boring. but I did enjoy kayaking on the Lumber River.

she said that back in the day they would get dressed up and go to to dinner at South of the Border. apparently it was the place to get a nice steak dinner.

Back