• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AT&T U-Verse: whadya know about it?

I'm in Greensboro. I cut the cord with TWC a year ago. I only have internet with TWC now, I think it's around $50/month. Uverse wants to sell me internet for intro price of $20/month. Should I pull the trigger?

I'm in Greensboro. I cut the cord with TWC a year ago. I only have internet with TWC now, I think it's around $50/month. Uverse wants to sell me internet for intro price of $20/month. Should I pull the trigger?

Is it their actual high speed internet or is it DSL, because I have seen them throw these offers out there for 19.99 but if you look at the fine print it is for a top speed of 3 mbps. I wouldn't go near that.

Is it their actual high speed internet or is it DSL, because I have seen them throw these offers out there for 19.99 but if you look at the fine print it is for a top speed of 3 mbps. I wouldn't go near that.

good tip, I'll check when I get back home.

I think I'm finally going to make the switch from TWC to Uverse. Monthly TWC bill has ballooned to $195/month + taxes and fees. I have standard internet (15 Mbps), 1 DVR, 1 additional digital box and HBO.

Figured out just looking at the Uverse website I can get a comparable TV package (U200), DVR (which is whole house), 2 additional boxes, HBO and internet at 18 Mbps for $112/month for a year, which would save me $1000 over the next year. My sis has Uverse and she had a similar promotional rate that was going to expire. She called and said she couldn't pay the full rate and they simply extended her promo rate for another year.

Contacted TWC through Facebook yesterday telling them I was planning to switch and asking them to call to let me know what they can do for me. However, at this point I think I'd just prefer to switch. The whole house DVR from Uverse would be nice. The only thing Uverse doesn't have is the Extra Innings Package, but I was planning to do mlb.tv this year anyway. Nevertheless, we'll see what TWC can offer.

I think I'm finally going to make the switch from TWC to Uverse. Monthly TWC bill has ballooned to $195/month + taxes and fees. I have standard internet (15 Mbps), 1 DVR, 1 additional digital box and HBO.

Figured out just looking at the Uverse website I can get a comparable TV package (U200), DVR (which is whole house), 2 additional boxes, HBO and internet at 18 Mbps for $112/month for a year, which would save me $1000 over the next year. My sis has Uverse and she had a similar promotional rate that was going to expire. She called and said she couldn't pay the full rate and they simply extended her promo rate for another year.

Contacted TWC through Facebook yesterday telling them I was planning to switch and asking them to call to let me know what they can do for me. However, at this point I think I'd just prefer to switch. The whole house DVR from Uverse would be nice. The only thing Uverse doesn't have is the Extra Innings Package, but I was planning to do mlb.tv this year anyway. Nevertheless, we'll see what TWC can offer.

Call time Warner after 7pm your local time you will get the national call center then say cancel or disconnect in the automated system. Once the operator gets on the line simply ask then what you need to do to cancel your service and give them a date two weeks out in case they call your bluff. They will ask why you are canceling tell them price is too expensive and you have cheaper offers from their competitors . They will offer you the best deal they have then you can decide stay or go.

I have Uverse, Internet only, no complaints. Customer service is a million times better than TWC.

Man y'all are lucky. We'd love to have uverse but not available where we are. Dish & direct said we have too many trees/tree coverage to place a satellite. So we're stuck with TWC.

A TWC rep called last night and left a message saying that they reviewed my account and did identify some "promotions" they should be able to apply. I'll talk to them tomorrow and see what they can do.

I just spoke to the TWC rep and she dropped my rate to $128 for a year before we'd even spoken. That's $70 cheaper per month than I'm currently paying, but still $15 more per month than I'd pay with U-Verse, and with U-Verse I get the whole-house DVR which would be pretty sweet for watching stuff out on my porch. So, I went ahead and scheduled a service disconnect for 4/19, which is how long I'm currently paid up. I was very polite, and the rep was very nice as well. We'll see if they call back and make an even better offer, but for now I'm making the plunge. Gonna go ahead and schedule an install with U-Verse.

I had Geek Squad guys come install some home theater stuff last August. I asked them about Uverse and they all said don't do it - that you're way better off with whatever big cable company you've got.

I just spoke to the TWC rep and she dropped my rate to $128 for a year before we'd even spoken. That's $70 cheaper per month than I'm currently paying, but still $15 more per month than I'd pay with U-Verse, and with U-Verse I get the whole-house DVR which would be pretty sweet for watching stuff out on my porch. So, I went ahead and scheduled a service disconnect for 4/19, which is how long I'm currently paid up. I was very polite, and the rep was very nice as well. We'll see if they call back and make an even better offer, but for now I'm making the plunge. Gonna go ahead and schedule an install with U-Verse.

Be sure and ask for any cash back deals. I signed a 1 yr contract in Feb. and received $200 in Visa gift cards.

In a weird way, I'm excited to switch just because I've had TWC for 13 years and it'll be nice to compare services. And if U-Verse doesn't cut it for some reason (my sis has been very happy), I can always switch back to TWC, and likely enjoy a sweet promotional rate in the process. Cable service provider competition FTMFW.

I had Geek Squad guys come install some home theater stuff last August. I asked them about Uverse and they all said don't do it - that you're way better off with whatever big cable company you've got.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in their "expertise".

TWC PLANTS!

I just want Google to get started with Google Fiber in Charlotte and Raleigh, then we can kiss these shitty companies goodbye. $70 for a gigabit connection? Please and thank you.

Last edited:
I am in the Charleston market and just recd. by snail mail another offer and ATT has up the ante to $400 for signing up...Hope they are making the same overtures in your location.

Love UVerse. One down side.... the installation takes forever. I would figure them being at your house for at least 4 hours.

Back