• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AT&T U-Verse: whadya know about it?

I like U-Verse but our Netflix is so painfully slow now...makes me miss Comcast internets.

tl;dr: Anyone else with just U-Verse internet (no bundling) might want to check their bills this month.

Apparently for non-bundled customers, they jacked up the rates of all internet-only services by $5. I noticed it on my bill this morning, and the explanation I received was that they are trying to get people to bundle.

After the price increase, 12Mbps U-Verse is now more expensive than 15Mbps TWC when you compare their promo or non-promo rates. Not to mention the $200 installation fee that U-Verse charged me that TWC doesn't charge. Classic bait & switch.

After I explained that, and threatened to leave for TWC for those reasons, they increased my speed from 12 to 18 Mbps and gave me 50% off the 18 Mbps rate. So I went from $36/mo-12Mbps to $31/mo-18Mbps. I think I'm locked into a 12-month contract (she mentioned some early termination thing, which I'm not concerned about unless they try to pull this shit again). YMMV, but it's worth a shot

Heard on the radio this morning that gigabit internet should be rolling out soon (within a month) to areas of Asheville, Charlotte, and Raleigh. Didn't catch the name of the company involved, as I turned the car on mid-story.

Just switched from time warner to uverse. Gonna try the 6mbps since they said I have 30 days to upgrade to 12 if i need it at only $5 extra a month.

Heard on the radio this morning that gigabit internet should be rolling out soon (within a month) to areas of Asheville, Charlotte, and Raleigh. Didn't catch the name of the company involved, as I turned the car on mid-story.

The actual deployment will take substantially longer than a month. It's still going to be a while before AT&T offers that service.

Uverse as a bundled package is pretty awesome. As stand alone internet, as much as it pains me to say it, I prefer TWC. (Speeds, cost, latency)

My switch occurs Saturday. Got the bill for TWC for next month if I didn't switch and it's indeed $125, so if you guys are looking to lower your bill, that's what you might be able to score these days (obviously your configuration may vary). Haven't heard anything further from TWC since setting up the disconnect date.

Just dropped off my stuff at TWC store. Guy there just basically offered to give me a 1-RBI double to change my mind and stay. Gift card, free movie channels, etc. It was pretty funny. I probably could have named my price and services, but at this point I'm curious to see how Uverse works. Told him maybe I'd see him in a year.

To complete the circle, my AT&T Uverse service was installed on Saturday afternoon. Took about an hour, maybe 1.5 hours to install -- quicker than I expected. Tech was a nice guy and seemed to know what he was doing.

The cable boxes are like 1/3 or 1/4 the size of the Time Warner Cable boxes, so that's nice. The main DVR is wired into the router, but the other 2 boxes are wireless, which is pretty cool (fewer wires = happier wife). Uverse provides the modem and router, so no need for my old router. The hardware is clearly a step-up from the TWC equipment.

The Uverse software also seems like a big improvement over TWC. You can view the channel you're watching while scrolling through the guide. It seems generally much faster. Records 4 programs at once, instead of TWC's 2. Whole house DVR function. Options to remove unused channels from the Guide for easier navigating.

For internet speed, I was getting about 20 mbps the couple of times I checked over the weekend (paying for up to 18).

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with it, especially in light that over the next year I'll be saving about $90/month for the exact same services I was getting from TWC when I decided to make the switch.

I've had ATT U-verse here for almost 5 years now. Basically been happy (customer service far better than TW) but now on my 3rd DVR box (just delivered today) so will lose all my recordings again (2 years seems to be the ave life expectancy on them). I orig switched because TW was becoming too expensive....well, now as a "veteran" ATT customer last month's bill for U-300, mid level internet and phone was over $221! My gf has TW up the road in Austin and pays about $150/month for similar services....go figure! Once they've got you (and I know TW is the same, the prices just keep going up.....but a real pain to keep switching back and forth.

Has Uverse fixed the severe weather warnings yet? When thunderstorm season rolls in and you are trying to watch tv on a Sunday it is a killer. Every time I changed the channel you get the warning blast again. I am sure they fixed it, it was about two years ago when I switched back to TWC. FWIW, 2 years after the fact I still pay less with TWC than I did for U-verse which was lower than TWC when I left, such bull shit.

the #1 reason I do not like AT&T Uverse is how they have no concern how ugly their equipment is along the streets. Ever see those ugly POS PVC poles with the orange caps sticking out of the ground? That is AT&T. Every other company uses green and does as good as job as could be expected to hide their hardware, not AT&T. I sprayed painted a few green in my neighborhood and they replaced them.

Call time Warner after 7pm your local time you will get the national call center then say cancel or disconnect in the automated system. Once the operator gets on the line simply ask then what you need to do to cancel your service and give them a date two weeks out in case they call your bluff. They will ask why you are canceling tell them price is too expensive and you have cheaper offers from their competitors . They will offer you the best deal they have then you can decide stay or go.

I did this last night.

I spent 10 minutes on hold before being connected to an agent. When I told him I wanted to cancel my services because of the cost, he said he'd try to see if he could make a package that worked for me. His first offer was to add a bunch of movie channels, give me a boost in internet speed, and throw in an extra DVR for $5 less than I currently pay. I told him I didn't really want the movie channels, didn't need the speed boost, and that I had no use for a second DVR. He took another minute or two and then offered me my current package + speed boost for $31 less than I currently pay. I told him again that I didn't really need the internet speed boost and asked how much more I could save if I stayed with the same speed internet. He said it would only save another $5, and I told him I'd still prefer to save the money. Net result: I'm on the same plan for $36 less per month.

Great use of 15-20 minutes. He even credited me the difference for the current month I've already paid.

I did this last night.

I spent 10 minutes on hold before being connected to an agent. When I told him I wanted to cancel my services because of the cost, he said he'd try to see if he could make a package that worked for me. His first offer was to add a bunch of movie channels, give me a boost in internet speed, and throw in an extra DVR for $5 less than I currently pay. I told him I didn't really want the movie channels, didn't need the speed boost, and that I had no use for a second DVR. He took another minute or two and then offered me my current package + speed boost for $31 less than I currently pay. I told him again that I didn't really need the internet speed boost and asked how much more I could save if I stayed with the same speed internet. He said it would only save another $5, and I told him I'd still prefer to save the money. Net result: I'm on the same plan for $36 less per month.

Great use of 15-20 minutes. He even credited me the difference for the current month I've already paid.

Funny, I would think Satan would be the guy representing TWC

Since this has been bumped, I'll mention that since leaving TWC for Uverse, TWC is calling me all the time, presumably trying to get me back (I haven't picked up the phone).

anyone else with uverse seem to be getting more noticeably "throttled" when watching youtube over the last week or so?

Made the switch Saturday. Need to go to TWC and drop my shit off Monday

The TV interface is far superior to TWC.

Took longer than 1 1/2 hours. He got here at 9 ish and left at 2 PM.

Last edited:
Back