• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AT&T U-Verse: whadya know about it?

To complete the circle, my AT&T Uverse service was installed on Saturday afternoon. Took about an hour, maybe 1.5 hours to install -- quicker than I expected. Tech was a nice guy and seemed to know what he was doing.

The cable boxes are like 1/3 or 1/4 the size of the Time Warner Cable boxes, so that's nice. The main DVR is wired into the router, but the other 2 boxes are wireless, which is pretty cool (fewer wires = happier wife). Uverse provides the modem and router, so no need for my old router. The hardware is clearly a step-up from the TWC equipment.

The Uverse software also seems like a big improvement over TWC. You can view the channel you're watching while scrolling through the guide. It seems generally much faster. Records 4 programs at once, instead of TWC's 2. Whole house DVR function. Options to remove unused channels from the Guide for easier navigating.

For internet speed, I was getting about 20 mbps the couple of times I checked over the weekend (paying for up to 18).

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with it, especially in light that over the next year I'll be saving about $90/month for the exact same services I was getting from TWC when I decided to make the switch.

Cannot be understated. And, at least here in TX, an ADHD child seems to have come up with the channel numbering scheme on TWC.

Being able to switch back to uverse was a legitimate positive for my new place.

I've had ATT U-verse here for almost 5 years now. Basically been happy (customer service far better than TW) but now on my 3rd DVR box (just delivered today) so will lose all my recordings again (2 years seems to be the ave life expectancy on them). I orig switched because TW was becoming too expensive....well, now as a "veteran" ATT customer last month's bill for U-300, mid level internet and phone was over $221! My gf has TW up the road in Austin and pays about $150/month for similar services....go figure! Once they've got you (and I know TW is the same, the prices just keep going up.....but a real pain to keep switching back and forth.

Get the TW offers, call AT&T and tell them you like their service, but have these deals from TWC. They should match or come close.

i would recommend not telling them you like their service, why lose all bargaining power?

I have some friends who are moving and I have plugged UVerse. They were supposed to come the day before yesterday to install. Didn't show, then yesterday, didn't show. Now AT&T is telling them they will have to wait until the end of August.

Our experience has been pretty shitty with them (phone and internet) for the 60 days we've had it.

I have some friends who are moving and I have plugged UVerse. They were supposed to come the day before yesterday to install. Didn't show, then yesterday, didn't show. Now AT&T is telling them they will have to wait until the end of August.

That was my experience with them as well, we had to wait about a month to get initial U-Verse service at our new house. Unfortunately for me, TWC had fucked up some thing with the former owner of our house and wasn't able to get us hooked up any sooner, so we spent the first month in our new house without service of any sort.

It sucked but despite that, U-Verse customer service is infinitely better than that of TWC and it feels so nice to be 100% free of the TWC oppression.

Had no issues with installation showing up. Did have a number of connectivity and configuration issues during the first 2-3 weeks. Have been problem free ever since. Reliability and customer service has been much, much better than Comcast.

so i just got an offer from Dish Network for $19.99/month + a free flight on Southwest + $50 gift card. I currently pay upwards of $130/month on Uverse for cable and internet. Should I make the switch, or just call AT&T and tell them I'm going to jump ship unless they lower my bill?

so i just got an offer from Dish Network for $19.99/month + a free flight on Southwest + $50 gift card. I currently pay upwards of $130/month on Uverse for cable and internet. Should I make the switch, or just call AT&T and tell them I'm going to jump ship unless they lower my bill?

Holy shit, $130/month? I pay $31/month for internet. I hope having your TV programming is worth $1200 a year. The $19.99 offer from dish probably is a shitty TV lineup and doesn't include HD boxes, and you'll still need internet. I figure putting it all together you're looking at $80-90/month for everything and you can probably get AT&T to drop you down to that.

Holy shit, $130/month? I pay $31/month for internet. I hope having your TV programming is worth $1200 a year. The $19.99 offer from dish probably is a shitty TV lineup and doesn't include HD boxes, and you'll still need internet. I figure putting it all together you're looking at $80-90/month for everything and you can probably get AT&T to drop you down to that.

yea i was paying $80 until April, but didn't notice the increase until last month's billing cycle (i'm on autopay). I've never had HD service though... couldn't justify $120 extra/year for HD when I hardly ever watch sports on TV in my house... that's the only programming it really makes a noticeable difference on for me anyway.

yea i was paying $80 until April, but didn't notice the increase until last month's billing cycle (i'm on autopay).

There's your answer. Another alternative if you're interested in the cord-cutting thing is this, if you can somehow bypass the "new customers only" thing:

https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/offers.html#hbobundles

$39 Bundle Offer with HBO Included (U-verse TV + High Speed Internet with 12-month Discount):
For new residential U-verse customers. Price for U-basic TV with HBO and Internet Max Plus (18MBps). Available online only at att.com. 12-month term required. An early termination fee of up to $180 may apply if U-verse TV service is disconnected before end of term. Must maintain qualifying services for continued receipt of credits. After 12 months standard rates apply for all services unless canceled by customer. Installation fee of $99 applies. HBO and related channels and service marks are the property of Home Box Office, Inc. HBO GO® is only accessible in the U.S. and certain U.S. territories. Some restrictions may apply. Offer ends September 20, 2014.
HBO and related channels and service marks are the property of Home Box Office, Inc. HBO GO® is only accessible in the U.S. and certain U.S. territories. Some restrictions may apply.

Bounce - back to the top. Considering Uverse vs TWC for TV/internet/phone in WS - Merrimont neighborhood to be exact. Pricing seems relatively comparable, so primarily interested in WS customers' experiences with internet speed/service?

UVerse for my neighborhood in Winston only claims 784K down. Looks like the fiber doesn't reach out here yet.

I'm still rolling with the 6mbps with no issues. Perhaps I'm just lucky in my location thus far and I don't do any gaming - streaming has been fine.

20Mbps here in Winston in Buena Vista. For the most part streams without any problem. When it does act up I think it's because of the structure of the house not being friendly to wifi.

Unless bundling gives you a ridiculous deal, why waste your money on the phone when you can use ooma?

After two years on free OTA HD Antenna only, I pulled the trigger on UVerse today. Install is September 16. We'll see how it goes. The main reason I chose UVerse over TWC (well, other than the fact I loathe TWC and am determined never to pay them another dime if I can help it) is that their special prices come with 12-month terms, as opposed to crappy TWC that gives you special pricing for the first 12 months of a 24 month term and then sticks you with termination fees when you try and switch. So I always have the bargaining power 12 months from now to say to UVerse, "I am perfectly happy to unplug your box and plug back into my completely free antenna unless you renew the deal at the low price".

Made the switch from TWC to Uverse today with installation scheduled for Monday.

TWC was going to go up to close to $200/month and a comparable ATT package is $132/month plus I'll get a nice $160 gift card ($10 extra for going paperless). This includes 18Mbps internet, whole house DVR with 3 receivers (one of which is wireless), HBO, HD service, and whatever else comes in their top tier bundle.

I called TWC to see if they would match or beat the deal I would be getting and they seemed totally indifferent on keeping my business. I may try again after 7pm to see if this national call center business works, but I am actually looking forward to trying a new service as my internet through TWC has been pretty bad.

Hopefully the installation goes quickly on Monday and I am able to clear out everything I want on my DVR this weekend.

I'm still getting calls/mailings from time warner asking me to come back with a match of the uverse price. Would have been a lot easier to do that when I was still a customer rather that to wait for me to sign a contract with another company. Way to play hardball retention

Back